Your 10 favourite....Scritti Politti songs

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Your 10 favourite....Scritti Politti songs

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Blue said on to the next artist, so now for one of music's true titans. It occurred to me just how many stunning tracks there are across Green's 5 LPs, and bearing in mind that Provision, apart from Oh Patti, is largely unlistenable, to my mind it's only really 4. Only Joy Division can claim to have such a stunning 10 best songs based on so few records, and pretty well no-one else can match such a range of styles and influences relative to ouput. And the lyrics are endlessly interesting. In chronological order:

1. The Sweetest Girl
2. Asylums In Jerusalem
3. Faithless
4. Getting, Having and Holding
5. The Word Girl
6. Wood Beez
7. Oh Patti (Don't Feel Sorry For Loverboy)
8. Tinseltown To The Boogiedown
9. The Boom Boom Bap
10. Snow In Sun
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

While we're at it, could people recommend a good place to start for the benefit of those of us who are yet-to-be initiated?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Lions After Slumber
Throw
Absolute
A Little Knowledge
Wood Beez (Pray Like Aretha Franklin)
Confidence
The Sweetest Girl
Dr Abernathy
Brushed With Oil, Dusted With Powder
Snow in Sun
Last edited by Mike Boom on Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Id start with "White Bread Black Beer", then maybe "Cupid and Psyche 85" - but Otis may have a better idea.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Otis Westinghouse

Good to see you got WBBB, Mike. I recall you had Dr Abernathy on a sampler of some sort. Throw a nice choice. Some interesting selections, especially Confidence from Early. Can't say I can remember that straight off. Will re-listen.

Yeah, I'd get your hands on that, Blue, and see what you think. Listen to it a good 5 times before making any judgements. My equal favourite with that is Songs To Remember, the first LP from '82. I'd place '99's Anomie and Bonhomie third. It's largely overlooked, but the fusion of rap, hard guitars and drums (some great playing by Abe Laboriel, the big, hard-hitting guy who tiours with Macca), and typically sweet pop vocals works a treat. Cupid & Psyche '85 has some truly fabulous songs on it, but tend not to be bothered with the non-singles, and it's very much a mid-80s high production affair. The hits are great, especially the two he played the other night (Wood Beez and Word Girl), and very much worth having. Provision, its successor from '87, I cannot stand. Apart from the divine Oh Patti, with Miles Davis adding gorgeous trumpet (a note of gratitude for having covered Perfect Way), I find it very hard to listen to. It's so totally over-produced. Incredibly slick, but sterile too. I've always wondered if I played it more would his unmistakeable qualities as a songwriter shine through, but I've never really been able to! Green says of that time that he had lost his way, hence his retreat to rural Wales for over a decade. The only other thing is Early, the compilation of pre-first LP Rough Trade stuff. Very much a historical document, one for the fans and students of the era. Skank Bloc Bologna sounds great live, though.
Richard

Post by Richard »

The Sweetest Girl is great enough to hang a whole career on! Don't forget Madness' enjoyable version.
A top 5 rather than 10. Dominated by Songs To Remember I am afraid. Still a favorite. Heck, it made me read Shelley. It even made me read Derrida (although not understand it.)

Sweetest Girl
Lions After Slumber
Jacques Derrida
Wood Beez
Asylums In Jerusalem
Otis Westinghouse

No Faithless? Always good to see you here, Richard. If you don't have White Bread, you should! Your 5 are great, of course.