What was Elvis' last truly Great (studio) album?

Pretty self-explanatory

What was Elvis' last truly Great (studio) album?

1. River in Reverse
32%
2. The Delivery Man
22%
3. North
12%
4. Il Sogno
No votes
5. When I Was Cruel
7%
6. Painted from Memory
7%
7. All This Useless Beauty
7%
8. Brutal Youth
2%
9. Sorry, only his earlier records qualify
10%
10. All of the above are Great, with a capital F...er, G
No votes

Total votes: 41

Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

King Hoarse wrote:I dunno about that for the ages thing, but I'd rather listen to When I Was Cruel than This Years Model, the River in Reverse band sure beats the one on My Aim Is True, and there are plenty more duff tracks on Armed Forces than on All This Useless Beauty. Brutal Youth gets my blood pumping more than any of the above. And I think most of the Juliet Letters is a work of genius. But I chose Painted From Memory.
I agree. I like all EC albums like everyone else, and IB is great, but to say it's the last great album is off, you can say it's your favourite but you can't dismiss everything else as "not great" (well you can, but I don't see much logic in it). TRIR hasn't hit me too hard because as someone else here said it's a bunch of covers, and anyone can do that. TDM is allright, some tracks I skip (like the judgment, country darkness, etc.). North just keeps getting better and better...If this speedy acceleration dosn't stop soon I'm afraid it's going to be my favourite album. So I choose North (Oh Im skipping Il Sogno btw). But before North came WIWC which is quite possibly now my fave EC...it's very sad how few people see the brilliance in that album, I think it's the best album of recent years (dating back to 2003). I wanted sometihng more this year but I'm thankful for all the great material of the world's most underrated and best musician. Thanks Elvis, now go take care of your child.
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Extreme Honey wrote:(well you can, but I don't see much logic in it).
EH sees logic shock! :lol:

Seriously though I agree with wardo and the well put first sentence of EH.

Ultimately, one person's definition of a great album will differ to another's which is important. The albums listed are ones that many other artists would love to have in their own catalogue.

I won't vote (I never do in these polls) but I am interested to read other people's views and comments.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
25to12

Post by 25to12 »

North is absolutely amazing, but its hard to dismiss When I Was Cruel or the Delivery Man, or even River...
...the cost of living in sin would make a poor man out of Paul Getty...
sabreman

Post by sabreman »

[quoteTRIR hasn't hit me too hard because as someone else here said it's a bunch of covers, and anyone can do that. [/quote]

Isn't AT on the album too? Just because AT only sings one song doesn't mean his mark isn't all over the record. Anybody that caught TRIR tour witnessed AT's impact on EC and the Imposters.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

sabreman wrote:Anybody that caught TRIR tour witnessed AT's impact on EC and the Imposters.
Don't rub it in! :mrgreen:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?