Re-issues, rarities and bootlegs!

Pretty self-explanatory
The imposter

Re-issues, rarities and bootlegs!

Post by The imposter »

With so much Costello material around (unreleased tracks and stray collaborations etc) I wonder why Costello hasn't released many more CDs. I read somewhere that he didn't want to flood the market with new releases, but these could be put out quietly with little or no promotion (just like he wanted to do with the Kojak Varieties) ready for the "half dozen or so trainspotters" to discover.

I recall Frank Zappa being so pissed off with bootleggers that he decided to put out the best dozen or so bootlegs with better sound quality and cheaper too! He clearly felt that the only way to stop bootleggers was to beat them at their own game. I'm sure that nowadays all of Costello's gigs are recorded on 24 track digital, these could be posted on the internet and downloaded for a minimal cost.

In these days of falling record sales it could be the way forward..
Any thoughts?
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Given the scale of free bootlegs on site like Dimeadozen with a vehemently anti-payment policy, the idea of paying for bootlegs now seems like nonsense. Long may it last. I'd like some more Costello live, maybe if they picked 5 classic gigs from all phases, e.g. '78, '83, '86, '91, '99 + SN, '05, and made a nice box set, that woulld be a good approach. I'd happily pay for that with sound improved a bit from the bootlegs, etc.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

I keep hoping he'll do something like a subscription service, which Robert Fripp has been toying with over the last few years. At the same time I've gotten spoiled with the Ryko/Rhino approach, which involves some input from The Man himself in the packaging and liner notes.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

There are lots of examples of artists controlling there own shows using web sites and services - Pete Townshend and Richard Thompson being obvious examples.

Some shows are available mail order (and/or at gigs), others for download. With no big label or promotional overhead, and a dedicated/obsessive fan base, a reasonable revenue stream can be maintained at minimum cost.

However, I suspect that our man doesn't relish the idea of getting that close (or being that kind) to us.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

I agree, Elvis seems to have little or no time for providing us with quality copies of his live recordings, he's too busy with his next project. I believe the MFBB set is mainly a bookeeping exercise to recoup the costs of the shows with the Orkfest in July 2004. http://www.archive.org would be the ideal place to make them available, though I doubt Elvis would let that happen. Too bad.
nobodygirl

Post by nobodygirl »

Now days some artists sell copies of the show just played a half hour after it ends. You can listen to the show you just saw on your way home.

It's amazing.

I don't think I'd pay the 30 bucks that costs...
Your friends said you were better off dead
You were dead anyway from the start
--RA
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

It's a shame Elvis doesn't want to release more live stuff but I figure he thinks there are still people who will still want more. I guess he doesn't need the money.

Elvis is always thinking one or two studio albums ahead which is great. When he does the rereleases he does great liner notes and gives us unreleased material. What I don't like is the number of times the albums are rereleased with different tracks. Why not just one definitive version?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

martinfoyle wrote:I agree, Elvis seems to have little or no time for providing us with quality copies of his live recordings, he's too busy with his next project. I believe the MFBB set is mainly a bookeeping exercise to recoup the costs of the shows with the Orkfest in July 2004. http://www.archive.org would be the ideal place to make them available, though I doubt Elvis would let that happen. Too bad.
Now that the Rhino reissues are coming to an end (with The Juliet Letters), I hope (and expect) that Rhino will issue (old) live material. When it's done like Bob Dylan's Bootleg Series, it could be most interesting (an album with the Attractions, with the Confederates, with the Rude 5, with Steve Nieve, with the Brodsky Quartet,...).
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

how on earth do you get into dimeadozen? Whenever I try it's always oversubscribed. :cry:
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:... maybe if they picked 5 classic gigs from all phases, e.g. '78, '83, '86, '91, '99 + SN, '05, and made a nice box set, that woulld be a good approach.
A man after my own heart...

I have advocated, for the better part of 2 decades now, something similar to what you've suggested.

At this point, it would have to be a 10 - 15 CD BoxSet covering the BenchMark points, the differing approaches, the DIVERSITY, of the concerts that have transpired over his career.

Release a Limited Edition BoxSet for the hardcores -- and pare it down to 2 or 3 discs for a "mainstream" release, covering the highpoints, hits, etc.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

That would do nicely.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

How would you define a "classic" gig?

The Spectacular Spinning Songbook shows in 1986 were all, er, spectacular in my opinion.

Incidentally has anyone got a copy of the Stockholm Spinning Songbook Show with Jackson Browne that they could let me have? I'll be very grateful and may be able to pull something out of the VG Magic Bag in return. Thanks.

I'd love to see a live chronology but it would have to be a large CD set. I could cope with that though.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?