EC to Play Brilliant Disguise on Fallon, March 1 2012

Pretty self-explanatory
FAVEHOUR

EC to Play Brilliant Disguise on Fallon, March 1 2012

Post by FAVEHOUR »

just saw this on thenjunderground.com:

Good news, everyone! Next week will be Bruce Springsteen week on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. The late night NBC program will see two nights of performances from The Boss and his E Street band as well as tributes from Elvis Costello and Kenny Chesney.

Monday, Springsteen and the E Street band will serve as the musical guest and perform twice. They'll also return on Friday, which happens to be Late Night with Jimmy Fallon's third anniversary show, where Bruce will be the night's only guest.

Kenny Chesney will make his Late Night debut with a performance of "I'm On Fire" from Springsteen's Born In The U.S.A. Elvis Costell will stop by on Thursday and dish out Tunnel of Love track "Brilliant Disguise" with help from The Roots.

All of this is in support of the legendary NJ musician's forthcoming seventeenth studio album, Wrecking Ball, which is due out March 6th via Columbia Records. Bruce was last on the show back in November or 2010, where he performed "Because the Night", "Save My Love" and a cover of Willow Smith's "Whip My Hair".
Last edited by FAVEHOUR on Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FAVEHOUR

Re: EC to Play Brilliant Disguise on Fallon, March 1 2012

Post by FAVEHOUR »

The listings for next week on the DVR do not mention Bruce so it's possible it'll be the week after. Maybe they scrapped the existing plans when they got Bruce to come in. Anyway, EC could be performing March 8th instead of March 1st. Stay tuned.

Dave
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

awesome news Dave...looks like that will make TWO NYC 2012 appearances that i will NOT see. :cry: :cry: :cry:
brilliantmistake

Post by brilliantmistake »

It will be cool to see him do this live on the show. He does such a great cover of Brilliant Disguise.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

brilliantmistake wrote:It will be cool to see him do this live on the show. He does such a great cover of Brilliant Disguise.
And with The Roots, it'll be especially good.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

yeh, but will THE ROOTS do the C/W version that EC did as the flip side years back??
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Billboard has this: http://www.billboard.com/news/late-nigh ... 2552.story

'Late Night' to Honor Bruce Springsteen for a Week.

NBC announced on Friday that rock icon Bruce Springsteen will be the recipient of a week-long tribute on "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon," as part of the launch of his new album, "Wrecking Ball."

For the week of Feb. 27-March 2, the music-loving Fallon will make it all about Bruce, beginning on Monday with a pair of performances from Springsteen and the E Street Band. The New Jersey icon will return on Friday, March 2 (Fallon's 3rd anniversary hosting "Late Night") to perform more songs and sit down as the night's only panel guest.

Sandwiched between these Springsteen appearances will be performances by a couple music heavyweights, beginning Tuesday with Kenny Chesney, who is slated to perform the moody "I'm on Fire," off the "Born in the U.S.A." album. On Thursday, Elvis Costello will perform "Brilliant Disguise," from the "Born" followup, "Tunnel of Love."

A special guest for Wednesday will be announced later.

Springsteen's two appearances on "Late Night" will act as his final TV stops in America before he embarks on a world tour beginning March 18 in Atlanta. He opened the Grammys on Feb. 12 with a high-octane performance of "We Take Care of Our Own," the first single off "Wrecking Ball," his 17th studio album.

The weeklong celebration of a single band or artist is a running passion project from "Late Night," which in the past has feted the Rolling Stones, Bob Marley and most recently, Pink Floyd in September.

Springsteen and Fallon have teamed up before, in 2010, when the singer dressed up as a "Born to Run" version of himself to perform with the host (doing his spot-on Neil Young impression). Watch it here.

--------------------------------------------
And Rolling Stone has this: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... k-20120224

Bruce Springsteen To Take Over 'Late Night With Jimmy Fallon' Next Week

Springsteen will perform with the E Street Band on Monday and Friday

Springsteen is going to take over Late Night With Jimmy Fallon next week. On Monday, February 27th, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band will perform two songs on the show – and on Friday March 2nd (the show's 3rd anniversary) Springsteen will be the sole guest for the evening. He'll be interviewed by Fallon, and also perform multiple songs. On Tuesday's show Kenny Chesney will perform "I'm On Fire," which he previously released in 2004. Elvis Costello will perform "Brilliant Disguise" with the Roots on Thursday. They have not announced the plans for Wednesday night.

This won't be the first time that Springsteen performed on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon. In November 2010, Springsteen dressed up like himself circa-1975 (complete with a wig and fake beard) to perform a cover of Willow Smith's "Whip My Hair" alongside Jimmy Fallon in his Neil Young costume.

The two appearances on the Fallon show are Springsteen's only planned late night appearances at this time. He kicks off the Wrecking Ball world tour on March 18th in Atlanta, though on March 9th he's performing a private show at New York's Apollo Theater to celebrate the ten year anniversary of Sirius.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
monkey2man

Post by monkey2man »

anyone think elvis will stay and have another extracurricular moment with the roots like he's been known to do? isn't the running joke that they're "remaking Get Happy!!" (High Fidelity, B&W World)? if so, which GH!! track would you like to hear elvis & the roots do? personally, i'd love to see a live performance of Love For Tender, but that's just me.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

How about "Human Touch"? You can even relate it to Bruce, since he had an album by that name.

Dave
docinwestchester

B Movie, please sir.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

"Temptation" was inspired by Bruce...
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

And No Coffee Table wrote:"Temptation" was inspired by Bruce...

oh, that would be great!!
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

If I had my druthers, Riot Act would be a welcome pick.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

well, as long as we are voting, my number ONE would be: LOVE FOR TENDER! then, i would go for the only other two i have NOT seen live off of my FAVORITE ALBUM OF ALL TIME: HUMAN TOUCH and 5IVE GEARS IN REVERSE! but, i bet we only get the one...but, are they gonna do the country western version of BRILLIANT DISGUISE or the Tunnel of Love take???
docinwestchester

tweeted by Questo of The Roots ‏ @questlove:

Wow the things you learn: Elvis just told us "Liquidator" came BEFORE "Ill Take You There"!!! Conversations had during #SpringsteenWeek
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

docinwestchester wrote:tweeted by Questo of The Roots ‏ @questlove:

Wow the things you learn: Elvis just told us "Liquidator" came BEFORE "Ill Take You There"!!! Conversations had during #SpringsteenWeek
I had no idea what "Liquidator" was, so I googled:

Wikipedia: I'll Take You There
Included on [The Staple Singers] 1972 album Be Altitude: Respect Yourself, "I'll Take You There" features lead singer Mavis Staples inviting her listeners to seek heaven. The song is "almost completely a call-and-response chorus", with the introduction being lifted from a Jamaican instrumental reggae tune titled "The Liquidator".

YouTube: The Liquidator
docinwestchester

http://lockerz.com/s/188575890

Turnin "Brilliant Disguise" into a breakbeat classic for #SpringsteenWeek w/ Elvis Costello on @LateNightJimmy

krm

Post by krm »

Azmuda wrote:
docinwestchester wrote:tweeted by Questo of The Roots ‏ @questlove:

I had no idea what "Liquidator" was, so I googled:

Wikipedia: I'll Take You There
Included on [The Staple Singers] 1972 album Be Altitude: Respect Yourself, "I'll Take You There" features lead singer Mavis Staples inviting her listeners to seek heaven. The song is "almost completely a call-and-response chorus", with the introduction being lifted from a Jamaican instrumental reggae tune titled "The Liquidator".

YouTube: The Liquidator
of course EC knowns his ska history. Liquidator was a regular song on the Specials concerts back in 79 when the first Special album was recorded.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjaJ_0qQNPY
docinwestchester

krm wrote:
of course EC knowns his ska history. Liquidator was a regular song on the Specials concerts back in 79 when the first Special album was recorded.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjaJ_0qQNPY
EC schooling Quest and the boys. Gotta love it!
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Pretty cool! It took me a while to realize Elvis was playing bass!!! His vocals were a little too low, I wish that piano wasn't turned up so high!

I actually enjoyed the bonus song on the website, Fire, more. Nice reggae arrangement. I remember when Elvis used to jokingly do the opening of this song during "Heathen Town" in 1987!

Anyway, nice to see EC live on TV again!!

Dave
monkey2man

Post by monkey2man »

ok, so no get happy!! number tonight, but Fire has got me spinning! sooo good! one of my favorite bruce songs that, unfortunately, never made it onto an album.

seriously though, when can we get an Elvis Costello and The Roots album? I'd even settle for an EP, but these guys always make magic when they get together. so much fun!
cwr

Post by cwr »

I WOULD LOVE AN EC & THE ROOTS ALBUM!!!!

Why can't this happen?? Obviously they get along well. Elvis has a home in NYC, they are in NYC-- they could make a record NEXT WEEK and release it the second it's finished.

2012: Elvis Costello & The Roots album

Make it happen, Elvis!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

bronxapostle wrote:yeh, but will THE ROOTS do the C/W version that EC did as the flip side years back??
i didn't think THIS would happen....but, maybe it should have! it would have pushed them into a "different" spot, which they usually do not shy away from, and it actually would have been MORE lively than this one. and the FIRE was just okay to me as well. i would be a horrible little "YES MAN" to say that i loved either of these two songs that we got last night. got a feeling Tuesday coming will be better than this was. Elvis & Roots doing some blues should work more naturally. yes, these BOTH come off as "forced" in my opinion.
jardine

Post by jardine »

thanks for the links. I found both those performances a little flat and boring, but that may be a hangover from my mild disinterest in springsteen.