'The Return Of The Spectacular Spinning Songbook', Nov. '11

Pretty self-explanatory
Jeremy Dylan

Re: 'The Return Of The Spectacular Spinning Songbook', Nov.

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Ymaginatif wrote:And therefore, if MP3s have no intrinsic value, shouldn't they be free anyway?
Would you download if the artist offered mp3s legally for free?
1. MP3s have no intrinsic value. The content of them does. It's the same as CDs. CDs are worth a cent or two each. You're not paying for the CD - you're paying for what's on it. That took the unique talent and skill set of songwriters, musicians, engineers, producers, graphic designers, photographers, A&R managers, etc. to create and represents a totally unique product with infinite potential for reuse. So no, of course they shouldn't be free.

2. I have before and would probably do so again, but I've got no desire to see it become the dominant distribution method. It's not a realistic, practical idea. Records cost money to produce - money for all those people I mentioned before, and the equipment they use - not to mention marketing costs, production of music videos, etc. Where does the funding for those costs come from if the end product is being given away?

This is a realistic model for free downloads - a singer/songwriter writes a song, records an acoustic version in his home studio and puts it online for free. Very straightforward legally, and almost no upfront costs to produce it. However, this is not a business model that can sustain a viable career or provide us with albums like National Ransom or Sgt. Pepper.
cwr

Post by cwr »

While we're talking about $$ and artists and so forth, how many of us opted to NOT get the refund back when elviscostello.com bailed on their "membership" service?

We were offered either a full refund or we could wait and use it as credit in a future incarnation of the website offering some sort of subscription or exclusive content. Elvis encouraged fans to go for the "money back" but I stupidly gambled that if enough fans opted for the "credit" option it would increase the chances that they would want to offer cool stuff that we could buy via the website. Nothing like that has ever materialized.

I still think Elvis could make a lot more money if he would start selling music we could download. If there was an option to buy all the unique songs that aren't included on the forthcoming CD/DVD/LP box set editions, for instance-- if we could buy quality recordings of stuff like "Hoover Factory" that didn't make the official release, I'd bet a lot of fans would be thrilled to buy those. Those recordings exist, and they're unlikely to see a physical edition come out if they didn't make this box set, so why not put them out digitally?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Amazon has added a listing for a $29.97 edition. The current bare-bones description mentions only an "Audio CD", but I'm guessing this is actually the CD/DVD combo.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006IS ... B006ISJPXG
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/que ... bled=false

Christie M. Farriella for New York Daily News
Louis Armstrong House Museum Manager Baltsar Beckeld with a special 10-CD Louis Armstrong box set titled “Satchmo: Ambassador of Jazz,” which sold out online and is currently only available at the Louis Armstrong House Museum in Corona, Queens.

Louis Armstrong fans flock to Queens for 'Satchmo: Ambassador of Jazz' limited edition CD box set
'Satchmo: Ambassador of Jazz' sells out online; now available only at Louis Armstrong House Museum in Corona

BY Sam Levin
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Tuesday, December 6 2011

The wonderful world of Louis Armstrong is captured in a new box-set package — and jazz fans will have to trek to Queens to snag a copy.

And the CD sets are running out, thanks to an unexpected shout-out from Elvis Costello.

The British singer-songwriter with a loyal following of his own recently urged fans on his website not to buy his own compilation but instead to snag “Satchmo: Ambassador of Jazz,” an Armstrong compilation that Costello said is a better deal with greater music.

“If you should really want to buy something special for your loved one at this time of seasonal giving, we can whole-heartedly recommend “Ambassador Of Jazz,” Costello wrote in a post on his website in November.

“Frankly, the music is vastly superior,” he said.

The Armstrong compilation is a 10-CD set featuring material from all major labels the artist worked with and selections from throughout his six-decade career.

The $149.99 package — compared to the $260 price tag for Costello’s own compilation — also includes treasures like a portrait of Armstrong and recordings from a lengthy interview.

The set was released in August and now is not available online or anywhere in the world — except at the Louis Armstrong House Museum in Corona.

After word spread about Costello’s endorsement last week, fans began to flock to the borough to buy the set — and now there are fewer than 40 copies remaining, museum officials said.

“This is the only place in the world where you can pick up this tribute to Louis Armstrong,” said Deslyn Dyer, programs officer at the museum, which is administered by Queens College.

“You’re not just coming to some store. You’re coming to Louis Armstrong’s house,”
Dyer noted.

Ricky Riccardi, an archivist with the museum who helped put together the product, said he was touched by Costello’s words.

“I’ve always had respect for Elvis Costello as a musician ... and this proves he also has great taste in music,” Riccardi said.

Jazz blogger Michael Steinman, of Great Neck, L.I., stopped by Queens last week to buy a copy.

“If you wanted to have a sound picture of what Louis Armstrong’s greatness was, this is the box set that really collects it,” said Steinman, 59.

“Isn’t it wonderful that people are going to make the trek to Corona?” he added.

“Any bit of Louis Armstrong’s music is worth a trip.”

Museum visitor Lindsey Gladwell, 12, of Chester, Va., said she wanted her mom to buy one.

“It would be really cool to have. I would play those CDs a lot,” she said.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

That is wonderful- good to see them get a boost- and not a bad museum at that. Have visited it in the past as it was not too far from where I was living. Loved seeing the stoop of the house where he would sit and entertain the neighborhood children and then treat them to ice cream money. It is a nondescript home on a common block. Many jazz musicians lived and continue to live in that neck of Queens. Remember stories from my father in law of Louis and others coming over and jamming and having good times in his Flushing home's basement. Must have been fun times.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.thewrap.com/music/column-pos ... 6?page=0,0

Review: Elvis Costello's 'Spinning Songbook' Almost Worth Head-Spinning Cost

By Chris Willman

7 Dec. '12

To borrow an opening line from Elvis Costello’s “Shipbuilding”: Is it worth it?

That’s the question hardcore fans are asking themselves as they weigh buying “The Return of the Spectacular Spinning Songbook!!!,” an extravagant boxed set priced so super-extravagantly that Costello himself took to the web to urge his flock to skip it.

Calling the package a “beautifully designed compendium” and “vivid snapshot” of his 2011 tour, Costello wrote that he was nonetheless “unable to recommend this lovely item to you as the price appears to be either a misprint or a satire. All our attempts to have this number revised have been fruitless,” he added, alluding to a dispute with Universal over pricing, before suggesting that fans buy a Louis Armstrong boxed set instead (or “steal this record,” as his Abbie Hoffman-esque headline recommended).

Indeed, maybe there should be three dollar signs instead of three exclamation points in the title: At press time, the autographed, very limited-edition set is selling on Amazon for $260.92 (although yours truly snagged a pre-order for a rock-bottom $202).

We’ve come a long way since 1981, when Tom Petty publicly battled the same corporate giant over its plans to release his “Hard Promises” LP with a list price of $9.98. (That one, the artist won.)

But if you’re as big a Costello fanatic as I am – which puts you in a different kind of 1 percent than the 1 percent who can reasonably afford the set – then the answer to that opening query is “of course” … muttered through violently gritted teeth.

However much you’re shelling out for it (or using Rapidshare to skip out on), the music therein really is spectacular and unironically merits every bit of the title’s ironic punctuation.

Hard as it is to believe, 34 years into his career, Costello has never before issued a contemporaneous live album. Until this week, if you owned a concert version of “I Want You” -- which has stood for decades as one of the most riveting experiences anyone can hope to experience in a concert hall -- you owned a bootleg. That one is finally legitimized here, not just on CD but DVD, in case you want to see up close just what level of perspiration attends a reading of rock’s bitterest eight-minute ballad.

Of course, the shows documented in this set were part of a still-ongoing tour that has Costello inviting fans to take a turn at a giant roulette wheel, then sip a cocktail on-stage or dance in a go-go cage while listening to the song their spin landed on.

As Costello says in a tour diary included in the hardback book that encases this set: “’I Want You’ came up on the first spin [at the May 12 Wiltern performance filmed for the DVD]. It certainly changes the mood to play that song in the first twenty minutes of the show.”

But Costello didn’t seem much concerned about consistency of mood at these shows, playing the huckster carnival-barker emcee one moment and singing wrenching ballads like “God Give Me Strength” or “All Grown Up” the next. Eternally full of vinegar, but also quite willing to take the piss out of himself, Costello’s a second-generation Dylan who doesn’t mind doubling on stage as a third-generation Rickles.

The CD culls tracks from both nights Costello performed at the Wiltern, while cameras were only rolling for the arguably not-quite-as-great second show. The stars certainly turned out in greater numbers on the evening documented, and not just the Bangles, who handled all the lead and backing vocals that particular night on “Tear Off Your Own Head (Doll Revolution),” a Costello song they got around to recording before he did.

If you’ve been waiting for the on-screen dancing debuts of either actress Sandra Oh or “Mad Men” creator Matthew Weiner, you’re in luck. Both took part in the tour’s lovably gimmicky wheel gambit, then stuck around to shake a tail feather. You’d swear their appearances mean the whole random-audience-member thing was rigged, but Elvis claims in the liner notes he didn’t recognize either at the time, so maybe L.A. audiences really just are that industry-loaded.

(You say you want a review of their dancing? Fine: Weiner, after being complimented by Costello on his “beautiful orange coat,” does a sweet little slow dance with show co-hostess Katerina Valentina, who appears to be about a foot taller than the writer/producer -- on “Clubland,” which would have been a perfect soundtrack pick for “The Sopranos,” come to think of it. Sandra Oh, meanwhile, engages in some admirably uninhibited frugging with her date throughout “Everyday I Write the Book.”)

Unfortunately, the only cover choices included from the wheel’s selections are Harlan Howard’s “Busted” (on a four-song vinyl EP also included in the set) and the Stones’ “Out of Time.” In the liner notes, Costello says he couldn’t get rights to include his version of Prince’s “Purple Rain,” though there’s no mention why he didn’t throw in the Beatles’ “And Your Bird Can Sing” or “Girl” or Gram Parsons’ “Wheels”… or plenty of originals from the two-and-a-half-hour Wiltern show that could and should have been included on the truncated 90-minute DVD.

But why look a gift horse in the mouth, when you’re getting close-up views of Steve Nieve playing the theremin, or Pete Thomas battering his eternally punished snare drum further into submission, or Costello digging out raucous obscurities like “Earthbound” (previously only recorded – badly -- by Wendy James) in addition to the requisite “Peace, Love and Understanding”?

Maybe because any use of the term “gift” seems inappropriate in combination with a $200-plus price tag. But even an abridged set from one of rock’s half-dozen greatest performers ensures that this collection is almost worth the risible cost of admission.

Now, excuse me while I examine my empty wallet and -- to quote the man, again -- tear off my own head.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris permits me to share this background comment he posted on a Costello google group -

http://www.allmusic.com/album/return-of ... 384/review

Is there anything about that review to suggest that he was reviewing
an actual copy... as opposed to reviewing the track list?

Also, since he does mention the 10-inch... if the Stones and Lowe
songs are "the two unexpected covers here," does that make Harlan
Howard's "Busted" an expected cover?

My review should pop up online tomorrow. I've had the audio files for
a while, got a loaner of the DVD last week from the label, but had to
wait till today to get my own keeper copy... from Amazon.

Yep, I paid for the thing. But at some point since I pre-ordered, the
price briefly dipped down to $202. Do I feel like a bargain hunter!

The review I wrote for TheWrap/Reuters is very different from the one
I would have written for this group.
For one thing, I probably spent
400 words out of 900 talking about the pricing controversy. I would
love to have gotten into obscure stuff like how great it is to finally
have a listenable version of "All Grown Up."

The book has a lot of fun stuff in it, like Elvis' tour diary, but
there's also something kind of ramshackle about it.

My main annoyance is that the DVD only runs an hour and a half when it
could include the hour they cut out of the show they filmed. Elvis
does say in the notes that he knew he could never license "Purple
Rain" for the DVD. (Why he'd be required to license a faithful cover,
I'm still not sure.)

I love the spinning wheel replica on the cover of the hardback, even
if my wheel is a millimeter off-center.

It's aggravating that it doesn't Include more than it does, at that
cost, or have any music that will ultimately be "exclusive" to the box
than the four songs on the vinyl. Heck, I'm aggravated that "Pump It
Up 6/8" is only on the vinyl. But I'm not sorry I bought it.

Mine is numbered 42, by the way. Is it possible only 42 of us bought
it?
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

bambooneedle wrote:"Well I'm taking this, then!" and marched toward the door. I have never seen blubber move so unnaturally in my life as he struggled to run around the desk! It was a thousand movements that i was cognizant were occuring fast yet it was compelling phenomena being beheld in slow motion. I thought I'd better quicken my pace. I reached the door and took a look. He sort of stomped to a stop struggling for breath so i slowed down as well, but then, "he's a thief!!"
So much more fun than stealing via the click of a mouse!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showt ... ost7206885

Mike T, New Jersey posts -

I put in a pre-order of this on Amazon to get price protection, in case it went lower than expected, and it shipped the other day. I did end up paying $205.00, so I let it ship. I figured I would let it come and then decide to either return it or keep it.

So it shows up today and I open it up. Definitely not worth $200.00, and anyone paying more than this - I don't know. I know I'm stating it's worth prior to actually listening or watching the contents, but just the quality of the box and materials itself are really worth no more than $100.00.

Yeah, I know it has a card, which is securely fixed to the inside cover of the hardbound book, that is signed by Elvis himself. I received "number 1,207 of One Thousand Five Hundred Only".

I also has a working cardboard spinning wheel with songs and selections that mirror the wheel exactly as I saw on the tour. I can see, if this thing isn't handled with care, the wheel coming off at some point in the future.

The book looks nice, if not overly long, and it does have information about every stop on the initial run of the tour from 5/7 to 7/31/11.

The CD and DVD are housed in two flimsy slip-pockets in a page in the book. There is a postcard and poster housed in another page in the book, and the 10" vinyl is also housed in another page in the book.

I guess the reason the price is so high, regardless of what Elvis might say... since he obviously had a lot to do with this collectible (he wrote the liner notes and notes about every stop on the tour re: the dates I mentioned), is because it is personally signed? Why else would something that shouldn't cost more than $100.00, actually list for over $300.00? Maybe Mr. Costello does truly believe the set shouldn't cost more than $150.00 (I have to believe he means what he posts on his site), so either Universal thought they could get that much selling this personally signed item (well they got me at $205.00), or there will be a bunch left for a while in the pipeline and the price will drop to get them sold.

Do I feel totally ripped off.. no, since I knew I was paying $205.00 - I wouldn't have paid more though.. but I do feel a bit let down in what I received for that sum of money.

Maybe once I listen and watch, I will feel the money was spent well? I don't know.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

"If on the other hand you should still want to hear and view the component parts of the above mentioned elaborate hoax, then those items will be available separately at a more affordable price in the New Year, assuming that you have not already obtained them by more unconventional means."

Just to beat a dead horse a little more, what exactly does he mean by this? How could it be interpreted as anything but by file sharing? He didn't really explain in his follow-up post, did he?
jardine

Post by jardine »

these days, unconventional means could mean buying it at a. . . what did they call it? . . .record store...!
docinwestchester

jardine wrote:these days, unconventional means could mean buying it at a. . . what did they call it? . . .record store...!
But not available as a separate component parts until next year, so presumably not for sale in record stores, right?
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Amazon charged me for the super deluxe set - $202.63 - or some odd number like that. Well, it looks like I'm committed to the purchase of this release. Looking forward to getting it.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Leaving aside the content of the discs, two big complaints about the package:

The 40 page book is mostly a reprint of the tour program, for which I already paid $25 I think....

and the DVD puts at least one song in a different running order from the actual setlist. Why comment on how weird it was to have the first spin be "I Want You", and then move that song to the 40 minute mark on the DVD? Doesn't changing the order to make things flow better work against the whole point of the Songbook show?

Dave
docinwestchester

FAVEHOUR wrote:Leaving aside the content of the discs, two big complaints about the package:

The 40 page book is mostly a reprint of the tour program, for which I already paid $25 I think....

and the DVD puts at least one song in a different running order from the actual setlist. Why comment on how weird it was to have the first spin be "I Want You", and then move that song to the 40 minute mark on the DVD? Doesn't changing the order to make things flow better work against the whole point of the Songbook show?

Dave
Shouldn't have changed the order.

Not Blu-ray, right? That's a shame. Guess it would cost more...
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Photos of the box set contents

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showt ... ost7207766

including -

the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

This package is rated 1.5 stars on Amazon. :lol:
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

jardine wrote:these days, unconventional means could mean buying it at a. . . what did they call it? . . .record store...!
I think Elvis has slipped the box set into 10 random copies of The Juliet Letters CDs in record stores in the Ukraine. :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

The Author of this review on Amazon.com, is not a happy bunny:
"Just opened my box and went through all the great packaging. Nicely done, but... the "autograph" is a reproduction. In other words, the image of Elvis' signature is merely a facsimile, not authentic. Bad form at best, fraud at worst. This product was promoted as signed and numbered.
And I haven't even listened to it yet"

The other customer review on Amazon is complaining about sound quality on the DVD. Is this why record companies are dying out?

MOOT
docinwestchester

sweetest punch wrote:Hear 30 second audio-clips here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radi ... _krex_dp_a
Sounds good to me. Not too "soundboard-y" with a reasonable amount of ambient noise. Looking forward to buying the CD/DVD next year. Too bad no Blu-ray... (cue broken record)
cwr

Post by cwr »

So EC has garnered a fair amount of press for his "Don't Buy My New Box Set" move, although at least a portion of that has been negative press speculating that he doesn't mean it and is trying to look like a punk while still raking in the cash.

I do think that this will sell poorly. Even as a "limited edition", I don't think there are 1500 people on the planet Earth who can afford it AND want to buy it at that price.

I enjoyed seeing two NYC dates on this tour, but I've already got enough live versions of "Watching The Detectives." And "Radio Radio." I know that there are a few rarer songs on it, but overall the setlist isn't as thrilling as it could have been. Although maybe I'm wrong and these are the best-ever performances of the more familiar tracks.

It's such a shame, because I would have LOVED to buy this box at a reasonable price. Even if it was slightly overpriced, I would have been delighted to purchase it. I'm actually far less excited by the prospect of buying the single CD and DVD editions when they come out. They feel kind of ho-hum in the aftermath of this mess.
krm

Post by krm »

There will most likely be a reissue of the DVD in blu-ray later next year with additional tracks, according to tradition!
migdd

Post by migdd »

Only 12 remaining copies available at Amazon.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Man out of Time wrote:The Author of this review on Amazon.com, is not a happy bunny:
"Just opened my box and went through all the great packaging. Nicely done, but... the "autograph" is a reproduction. In other words, the image of Elvis' signature is merely a facsimile, not authentic. Bad form at best, fraud at worst. This product was promoted as signed and numbered.
And I haven't even listened to it yet"

The other customer review on Amazon is complaining about sound quality on the DVD. Is this why record companies are dying out?

MOOT
I don't think the autograph is a reproduction. I'd have to compare copies to tell but it doesn't look that way to me.
The DVD sounds ok to me, the picture is slightly grainy on long-distance shots but fine otherwise. I'm quite spoiled by Blu-Ray.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I find it hard to believe that the autograph would be a reproduction.

It would have to be promoted as such and I bet Elvis would have commented along the lines of the price being as genuine as the autograph.

Maybe the author is used to having Elvis' autograph by way of him holding a sheet of paper in his hand, with nothing to rest on, using a dodgy pen...

...like most of mine :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?