The bride with cold feet

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

The bride with cold feet

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Surely the most ridiculous instance of media overreaction to a nothing story in recent memory. Can anyone think of a story that tops it?
Stuff like this happens hundreds of times a day and no one says boo. Yet CNN featured it as their lead story for days running. The Daily Show had a field day with it last night.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
selfmademug

Re: The bride with cold feet

Post by selfmademug »

Who Shot Sam? wrote: The Daily Show had a field day with it last night.
That was perfect, wasn't it? I have to say I'm glad Steve Colbert is getting his own show, cause his hilarious schtick is getting a little tired in places. Lewis Black, on the other hand, is a crazed, peripatetic genius.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

selfmademug wrote:I'm glad Steve Colbert is getting his own show, cause his hilarious schtick is getting a little tired in places.
I still find him incredibly funny. There's a piece on his new show in the NY Times today - it's going to be a send-up of talking heads shows, the O'Reilly Factor etc., with a direct lead-in from the Daily Show.

My only criticism of the Daily Show lately is that the guests are almost exclusively authors of political books. I don't want the Daily Show to morph into Bill Maher's HBO program, which bores the hell out of me. More b-list celebrities, please. You have plenty of political content up front, and it's much funnier there. Zell Miller? Zzzzzzzzzzzz...
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:it's going to be a send-up of talking heads shows, the O'Reilly Factor etc., with a direct lead-in from the Daily Show. .
That sounds great-- he really is brilliant. He's just gotten into a rut or two, so a new show may be just the thing!
bobster

Post by bobster »

I really have to disagree most vehemently with Who Shot Sam about the guests. Would you really rather he interviews a bunch of stupid, boring celebrities. Isn't there enough of that already?

And can you honestly call Zell Miller boring? Lunatic? Yes. A Grade-A turncoat? A septagnarian with 'roid rage? Perhaps. But Boring?????????????????????????????????????????? You are one tough political audience.

I agree that Bill Maher's show (which I only watch half of once, before losing patience) is a bore because he encourages a lot of posturing with no real discussion, which is supposed to be the point of the show.

Jon Stewart, on the other hand, may not be Terry "Best Interviewer in Freakin' Universe" Gross, but he does a fairly good job of getting his guests to describe their position, while still being entertaining. There are times when I think he's a bit afraid of saying what he's really thinking, and it would be interesting if he gets over it.

Stephen Colbert is first-rate, and I'm looking forward to his show. If anyone heard him on Terry "Bobster Worships at Her Interviewing Shrine" Gross's show, he's also a very interesting, thoughtful person and -- perhaps surprisingly to those who loved his "God Machine" segments -- a fairly religious Catholic.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

bobster wrote:I really have to disagree most vehemently with Who Shot Sam about the guests. Would you really rather he interviews a bunch of stupid, boring celebrities. Isn't there enough of that already?

And can you honestly call Zell Miller boring? Lunatic? Yes. A Grade-A turncoat? A septagnarian with 'roid rage? Perhaps. But Boring?????????????????????????????????????????? You are one tough political audience.

I agree that Bill Maher's show (which I only watch half of once, before losing patience) is a bore because he encourages a lot of posturing with no real discussion, which is supposed to be the point of the show.

Jon Stewart, on the other hand, may not be Terry "Best Interviewer in Freakin' Universe" Gross, but he does a fairly good job of getting his guests to describe their position, while still being entertaining. There are times when I think he's a bit afraid of saying what he's really thinking, and it would be interesting if he gets over it.

Stephen Colbert is first-rate, and I'm looking forward to his show. If anyone heard him on Terry "Bobster Worships at Her Interviewing Shrine" Gross's show, he's also a very interesting, thoughtful person and -- perhaps surprisingly to those who loved his "God Machine" segments -- a fairly religious Catholic.
Different strokes I guess. I just don't like that it's become almost exclusively a "political show". I know that Stewart cares deeply about politics, but do Washington talking heads really need another outlet for their boring opinions, even if Stewart does do a better job than most of challenging their idiotic statements?

"B-list" celebrities was perhaps an unfortunate choice of words on my part. Stewart used to have interesting actors, directors, musicians, etc. on the show, but now they've all disappeared in favor of political hacks peddling their latest books.

I heard part of that Colbert interview when I was driving to pick up some Chinese food. One of "Fresh Air"'s better recent shows. I loved Colbert, Amy Sedaris and Paul Dinello on "Strangers With Candy" too, and am not ashamed to say that I own the DVDs of seasons 1-3. Viva Jerri Blank!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

There are plenty of good comedy shows, but the Daily Show is the only good political satire on the air anymore. If that means Jon Stewart interviews political figures over B-list celebs, then I welcome it. We need good political satire more than we need yet another celebrity interview show.

Just my 2 cents.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

noiseradio wrote:There are plenty of good comedy shows, but the Daily Show is the only good political satire on the air anymore. If that means Jon Stewart interviews political figures over B-list celebs, then I welcome it. We need good political satire more than we need yet another celebrity interview show.

Just my 2 cents.
I love the satire. It's the interviews I could do without - or at least not so many.
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

I tend to agree that the guest mix has leaned too heavily toward political figures recently. OTOH this seems to be the only place, they act like humans and let a hint of their real personality shine. Bob Dole is nothing like the person his handlers ran for president. Last night, Tom Ridge came across as a very sharp, insightful and caring person. We certainly never got that impression while he was Director of Homeland Security.

It gives these people an opportunity to let loose a little and it makes less of the caricatures that the news media and their own handlers turn them into.

One of the funniest shows on television. We watch The Family Guy afterwards to keep the quality high. :)
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

LOL. They still won't give up on this story. The poll from the CNN.com homepage (I shit you not):

Are you satisfied with the apology from runaway bride Jennifer Wilbanks?
Yes
No
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Like there's no other news in the world for people to be polled about. :? Does it mean a rat's ass one way or the other what we think about her apology? Would the police have been more satisfied if they had found her dead? It seems like they think they would have gotten their money's worth if that were the case.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

spooky girlfriend wrote:Like there's no other news in the world for people to be polled about. :? Does it mean a rat's ass one way or the other what we think about her apology? Would the police have been more satisfied if they had found her dead? It seems like they think they would have gotten their money's worth if that were the case.
Precisely. The only ones who owe us an apology are CNN, Fox News and the like for polluting the airwaves with this garbage. They were dragging the lake for a corpse and pulled up a muddy old boot.

Catch the EC reference? :wink:
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Yeah, I catch the EC reference, WSS. Clever.

Did you see on the CNN website the other day where they had actually searched out her bridal registries across town and had a photo gallery of pictures of the presents that she might have been given? They had even gone so far as to get quotes from reps at Macy's on their return policy in case people had already purchased gifts for the couple and decided to take them back for refunds.

Absolute crap.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

On the front page of some newspaper as I was walking to work today: "COLD SHEETS: BRIDE JILTED NO-SEX BEAU."
bobster

Post by bobster »

Well, it's not like there's any real news to report. A couple of wars, cultural and otherwise, an economy in distress....bread and circuses, but more circuses than bread.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

More burning issues being addressed by the CNN.com InstaPoll. They've taken down the runaway bride question and now have this gem:

Should the man who found a severed finger in a pint of custard have returned the digit right away?
Yes
No

:lol:
whar

Post by whar »

I voted yes. And I clicked extra hard.
Oy with the poodles, already!