ProLogic Elvis

Pretty self-explanatory
A rope leash

ProLogic Elvis

Post by A rope leash »

I found out today I was audio-ignorant. Setting the stereo to ProLogic non-center mode with the rear speakers turned up brings out all manner of fascinating minutia that went unheard before.

Get Happy is way more complicated than it sounds. I'm listening to When I was Cruel now, and the bass is tearing up those little rear speakers.

Anybody know of any cool places where the music is split-up nicely?

Sorry about the way I smell...
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

You're talking about removing the midrange, right? I recall hearing Crimes Of Paris on a portable CD player that was jerry-rigged to a stereo via the headphone output, and hearing all kinds of gorgeous piano work that was otherwise buried. I'd gather there are all kinds of hidden things like that, especially where Steve is playing.
A rope leash

Travails of the audio luddite

Post by A rope leash »

I don't know what I'm doing. ProLogic on > center mode off > rear speaker volume up.

It's not really knocking anything out, it's just bringing up, like you say. piano twists, guitar riffs, strings scraping, never before heard horns, ect.

Very cool.
A rope leash

If all else fails, read the direction.

Post by A rope leash »

Okay, a clarification.

This is surroundsound. Hook up your CD or try playing it on the DVD.

ProLogic on > center mode off > rear speaker volume up > sit between the small rear speakers > listen to Harpie's Bizarre > dig.
Minerwerks

Audio Reverse Engineering

Post by Minerwerks »

In general, what Pro Logic does is to split anything out-of-phase from a stereo signal to the rear channels. Similarly, if you put the center channel on, it will carry anything that's equally balanced between both stereo channels.
I recall hearing Crimes Of Paris on a portable CD player that was jerry-rigged to a stereo via the headphone output, and hearing all kinds of gorgeous piano work that was otherwise buried.
That sounds like the way a lot of people discover this little trick. If you don't push one of those headphone plugs all the way in, or the wiring is crossed, both stereo channels mix into one, but with the phase reversed, eliminating some of the sounds in the track, depending on how it was mixed.

I've been hearing lately of people applying a digital form of this separation to artifically generate DTS surround CDs
A rope leash

Hey thanks, minerwerks

Post by A rope leash »

Does anyone know who says the words "goon squad" on the song Goon Squad? It comes in loud and clear through this ProLogic, and it doesn't sound like Elvis. It sounds like the announcer from those old Quinn/Martin productions...

The whole Armed Forces recording sounds much more elegant this way...