Costello Bootleg query

Pretty self-explanatory
edney

Costello Bootleg query

Post by edney »

Hi guys and gals.

Don't normally spend too much time on here but I know that you lot are a friendly and very knowledgeable bunch so here's my query.

I have a Costello b**tleg with no title but which includes, in superb quality, a series of items from EC's early career. Some are recognisable in so much as I know where they come from. But others I'm not so sure about. Does anybody have any ideas?

The tracks are as follows; (with song titles in CAPS being the ones that I know about)

Really Mystified (don't know about this one but it sounds like it might come from the same source that gives us the next item which is.......
THE PRICE OF LOVE (4th SEPT 1977 NASHVILLE SOUNDCHECK)
I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself x 2 (again don't know about these two but they are pretty much the same performance)
Stranger In The House
CALL ON ME (STIFF DEMO)
BLUE MINUTE (STIFF DEMO)
I HEAR A MELODY (STIFF DEMO)
Chelsea (quite a loose version of this - is NOT the John Peel BBC recording from 1977)
Radio Radio (I'm pretty certian that this is NOT from the Oct 1978 Peel session)
Lipstick Vogue
Pump It Up (Again, NOT the BBC 1978 John Peel version - Costello's vocal is heavily double-tracked - could this be from the Top Of The Pops as I know that the band re-recorded a lot of their stuff for the Beeb before miming to it on the programme)
STRANGER IN THE HOUSE (OCT 1978 PEEL SESSION)
I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH MYSELF (OCT 1978 PEEL SESSION)
REALLY MYSTIFIED (OCT 1978 PEEL SESSION)

Any suggestions gratefully received. Incidentally I do have a bootleg of Costello's BBC stuff, anyone have any idea where the best quality boot is of his Auntie Beeb material?

Ta

DaveE
verbal gymnastics

Re: Costello Bootleg query

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I think this is Unloved Songs Volume 1.

Unloved Songs Volume 2 brings together songs from All This Useless Beauty and Brutal Youth.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
edney

Post by edney »

Actually, I did some research on this very forum and discovered that you are of course absolutely right. Still not sure as to where the tracks come from but I do have a theory that I may decide to post on the thread that mentions this record.

Thanks for your reply.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Or you could post it as a new thread.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?