Your Favorite Gift

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Your Favorite Gift

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Of course it's better to give than receive, but what's the favorite thing you were given this Christmas?

Apart from my two kids getting me identical "DAD" inscribed ball point pens from the elementary school Christmas shop, mine would have to be...

Should keep me well-entertained over the winter months, when this seemingly endless writer's strike will really start to bite.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
invisible Pole

Re: Your Favorite Gift

Post by invisible Pole »

Something to read on winter days ( M.V. Llosa's latest ) :

And something to watch (and listen to) :

If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

A little book called Why I Live in Tennessee - 101 Dang Good Reasons.

some faves
#36 The Ryman Auditorium
#39 We're working for world peace through country music
#63 All of the orange and none of the Florida
#80 More storytellers per square mile than any other state
#96 Riding lawn mowers are street legal
Like me, the "g" is silent.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

Still have gifts to open from my mom tonight, but so far my favourites have been:

And this book, which is proving to be much funnier than I'd originally thought:

So far the best fix has been 'how to fix a poker game'.
:lol:
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

Either the two Dr. John tickets or Heartattack and Vine on vinyl. My uncle was so proud of himself.
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

My parents sent me a realistic ceramic model of a Chocolate Labrador. Not quite as beautiful as our boy, but physically very similar. They have similar models for all the dogs they've had in the last 20 or so years (10 breeds, at a guess), but I hadn't guessed even as I opened the box that this would be one of our type. It made me a bit sad because one of the things about them is they remind you of the dog long after it's gone, which, touch wood, is a long way off for our 2.5 year old nutjob. This was the funniest present as well because said nutjob went mental when he saw it. I think he must be able to read it as a tiny dog shape as he was desperate to lick it and get at it. Maybe he even identified it as one of his own clan, it's hard to know what his response was. He once went mad barking at a blow up Dalmatian my sent brought home.

I was also thrilled to get this:
I hadn't heard of Lise De La Salle, but she is still only 19 and has some 4 CDs to her name and an impressive tally of concerts behind her. She comes from Cherbourg in Normandy - spitting distance from where I grew up. Lovely recording, very impressive playing. Includes double-sided CD/DVD with a programme about her. The Mozart includes 'Ah, vous dirai-je, Maman' themes and variation, which is where Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star comes from (I'd forgotten Mozart wrote it). Prokofiev includes 6 pieces from Rome and Juliet, including a fabulously dramatic Montagues and Capulets.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Lots of good stuff this year, from Help! and Rear Window on DVD to a tremolo effects pedal for my guitar, but the best treat of the season is something of a gift to myself: A new MacBook!

I am glowing in the delight of my new laptop, after my last PC continued to deteriorate. I look forward to a new life as a mac user. I'm a geek.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Welcome aboard the Mac Lovers Club. Happy MacBooking.

Talking of Hitchcock, was going to reward myself with:

http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProd ... sku=418081

It's back up to £90 now, but was £25 before Christmas, and in fact Fopp have it here for £26 at present. 15 DVDs, most of his greatest, and the ones that are missing you can get in the Masters of Suspense collection for a tenner. What am I waiting for?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Christmas eve Mass, with my wife on my left, and my son and daughter on my right, praying together as a family and celebrating the birth of the most important person to ever walk the face of this earth, Jesus Christ.

It doesn't get any better, and the love for each other doesn't wane with time. It grows, as we together as a family keep sight on what REALLY matters.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Jesus Christ is insignificant.
signed with love and vicious kisses
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

When the wiping off the face of the earth begins I hope that they start with the sanctimonious assholes.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

so lacklustre wrote:When the wiping off the face of the earth begins I hope that they start with the sanctimonious assholes.
Solack, where does all this hatred come from ? Can't you just leave uncommented one post concerning religion, faith or God ?

I guess you must be going mad seeing hundreds of thousands of people from Eastern Europe, most of them Catholics, coming in to your country since 2004.

Happy New Year anyway.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

A Spurs shirt personally signed by Steed Malbranque and a signed poster of the legendary Pat Jennings ex Spurs goalkeeper! :D
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

invisible Pole wrote:
so lacklustre wrote:When the wiping off the face of the earth begins I hope that they start with the sanctimonious assholes.
Solack, where does all this hatred come from ? Can't you just leave uncommented one post concerning religion, faith or God ?

I guess you must be going mad seeing hundreds of thousands of people from Eastern Europe, most of them Catholics, coming in to your country since 2004.

Happy New Year anyway.
Poley Woley
No hatred involved, just mocking a certain board member (with a bit of humour imo). If it was hate my words would be a lot stronger. While people continue to post their religious beliefs on the Elvis Costello fan forum I will continue to respond in whichever way I choose. Post them on the Pope Fan Forum, and I will not respond.
Catholicism is now the largest religious group in the UK, overtaking CoE after the recent influx from Eastern Europe. So far they haven't infiltrated the Elvis Costello Fan Forum and are not parading their religious beliefs up and down the high street. The Eastern Europeans that I come across are serving in restaurants or getting drunk whilst watching football in pubs, so they're alright by me. I love the multi-culuralism in our country, and have no problem with anyone who takes comfort from their religious beliefs. What I don't like is religious fanaticism and those who choose to preach without reason (especially in inappropriate places), those people like Mr Average who believe that I will burn in hell for not being a believer.

Happy New Year to You, to believers in all religions and especially to the agnostics and atheists.

So Lack

XXXXXX
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

My favourite gift was my Mohammed teddy bear.

Or maybe the bottle of Sloe Gin.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I wasn't evangelizing. I was telling the board what my favorite gift is. I suppose that opens me to derogation and insult, in spite of the fact that it really was my favorite, with second place far behind. If I take peace and comfort in Faith and Family, so lack, why does that hurt you so much. God almighty, I feel so sad for you, a little man indeed. God Bless you, and God save the kids.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

You obviously don't read very well, I clearly said that
and have no problem with anyone who takes comfort from their religious beliefs
so it doesn't hurt me at all. It may irk me slightly that you continue to spout forth your devout christian beliefs (and sometimes fundamentalist style preachings), but in reality I look forward to the next chance I get to mock you.

So I will continue to insult you if you continue to preach on this board (you may not have meant your favourite gift sermon to be such, but that is how it came across). Please do not feel sad for me, I live a happy and fulfilling life with my family who I both love, and who love me without the help of Jesus. I do not need religion and I do not want your flippant blessings, so save them for someone who is shallow enough to appreciate them.