River in Reverse discussion

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.ottawasun.com/Showbiz/Music/ ... 7-sun.html

By JANE STEVENSON, TORONTO SUN

Shelter from the storm
New Waver , R'nB icon reunite for collaboration

Brought together musically by Hurricane Katrina, Brit Elvis Costello, left, and New Orleans resident Allen Toussaint collaborated on the 13-track The River in Reverse. (Greg Henkenhaf SUN)

AT FIRST glance, a British New Wave pioneer and a New Orleans R&B legend -- the latter 17 years older than the former -- might not appear to have much musically in common.

Elvis Costello and Allen Toussaint, whose new inspired collaboration, The River in Reverse, hit stores yesterday, worked together twice in the '80s.

Last year's life-changing Hurricane Katrina led to the musicians crossing paths again, in New York City, where Toussaint had temporarily relocated and Costello spends time with Canadian wife Diana Krall.

"By this time I'd heard that Allen had made it to New York and I said, 'There wouldn't be any better thing than to ask Allen to play (Toussaint's) Freedom for the Stallion with me," recalls the 51-year-old Costello.

SECOND BENEFIT

The first benefit led to a second, The Big Apple for the Big Easy, a televised event from Madison Square Garden in which Toussaint's band backed up several artists, including Costello.

"Definitely, at that point, I thought there were some songs of Allen's that could be heard in this moment that had particular resonance for the circumstance," says Costello.

The River In Reverse became seven Toussaint songs, five Toussaint-Costello collaborations and the title track written solely by Costello in a burst of 10 minutes.

The collaborators arrived in Toronto in early May, fresh off a performance at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival.

It was clear Toussaint, a Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame inductee who's arranged horns for The Band and Paul Simon, produced huge hits for Dr. John (I Was in the Right Place) and LaBelle (Lady Marmalade) and whose songs have been covered by Glen Campbell, Boz Scaggs and Devo, was buoyed by a return to some normalcy in his beloved Big Easy.

"It was a wonderful spiritual feeling to see so many people saying, 'Yes!' " Toussaint says with a smile. "And I mean on stage and in the audience as well, so it was quite rewarding and the people who put the fest together, they were almost teary-eyed to see such a turnout."

Recording The River in Reverse also brought Toussaint and Costello back to New Orleans about a month and a half after Katrina.

They'd initially begun their work -- with Costello's Imposters bandmates and Toussaint's four-man horn section and guitarist Anthony Brown -- in Los Angeles.

Costello felt the move to New Orleans was important to Toussaint, even if the Englishman wasn't quite prepared for the scene.

"The signs of destruction were everywhere, but specifically in the most badly affected areas, it's a pretty devastating experience to see with your own eyes," says Costello. "A television picture won't prepare you for it, when you're actually at eye level with it, and see some personal belongings just hanging in a tree."

http://www.ottawasun.com/Showbiz/Music/ ... 6-sun.html

Wed, June 7, 2006
Fleeing Hurricane Katrina no easy task

By JANE STEVENSON, TORONTO SUN

Like other New Orleans natives, Allen Toussaint was determined to ride out Katrina.

"I thought I'd be able to stick it out," he tells the Sun.

"So the Sunday before, I went and checked into the Astor Crowne Plaza on Canal, on the fourth floor. And even a day or two after the hurricane, even though there was a lot of wind damage, the water hadn't begun to rise.

"But when that happened, I knew then that I wouldn't be going back home and it wouldn't be business as usual. So I had to find a way out of town and managed to do so, in a roundabout way."

Toussaint waded through a foot of water out the back of his hotel in the French Quarter and bought a bus ticket for Texas that never came after a five-hour wait.

"I saw many acts of kindness," he says. "I saw people helping each other who looked like they would have never spoken to each other before. I saw real rugged, thuggish looking guys helping a little old lady get in and out of her wheelchair. I saw a lady braiding little girls' hair and this was across racial lines and all."

FLED ON SCHOOL BUS

Toussaint was eventually offered a lift by a man driving a school bus to Baton Rouge, where he spent the night at the airport before flying to New York City.

So, when will Toussaint finally return to The Big Easy?

"I like the word 'soon,' " he says. "My neighbourhood is still sort of sleeping, you might say. There are trailers on all the lawns, meaning people have come back in and moved into those trailers.

"They go into their houses daily and try to do what they can to fix them up and hiring carpenters whenever they can get them. Because the workforce is really hard to deal with right now. There's not enough to go around to rapidly rebuild something that took a couple of hundred years.

"So it's slowly, but surely, coming."
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.guidelive.com/sharedcontent/ ... c3679.html

CD review: Sorrow and rage flow through Costello-Toussaint collaboration

Tuesday, June 6, 2006

By THOR CHRISTENSEN / The Dallas Morning News

Elvis Costello started out as a punk, but he's evolved into a musical omnivore who'll team up with almost anyone. You half expect to find him crooning with Il Divo on his next CD.

But none of his past collaborations turned out as splendidly as The River in Reverse, his post-Katrina partnership with New Orleans R&B legend Allen Toussaint. Of all the albums that have come out of Louisiana since the flood, few capture the sorrow and rage as well as this one does.

The two have been friends since the '80s, when Mr. Toussaint played piano on Mr. Costello's Spike. After the storm, they met up in New York City for a string of Katrina benefit shows and then went to New Orleans, where Mr. Costello witnessed the carnage firsthand.

The result is some the angriest lyrics of his career. "Broken Promise Land" and the foreboding title track portray New Orleans as a modern-day Jericho, a city full of ruins, lies and alibis. He doesn't name names, but "Six Fingered Man" sounds like it's aimed directly at Mayor Ray Nagin.

Mr. Costello and Mr. Toussaint wrote six new songs for the CD, but some of the most poignant tracks are old Touissant songs that take on new meaning, such as "Tears, Tears and More Tears" and "Who's Gonna Help Brother Get Further?" But the high point is "On Your Way Down," written in 1972 but now an indictment of all the corrupt politicians who left New Orleans a disaster waiting to happen.

Mr. Toussaint only sings lead on one tune ("Brother"), and the disc could benefit from more of his high, sweet voice. But he shapes the CD in other ways – namely, rollicking piano and brilliant horn arrangements that recall his classic work in the '60s with Ernie K-Doe and Aaron Neville.

Given Mr. Toussaint's status as one of R&B's greatest producers, it's a shame he didn't produce this album. But he and Mr. Costello found a kindred spirit in Joe Henry, a rocker with a heart of soul who produced recent gems for Solomon Burke and Bettye LaVette. Mr. Henry lets the song's mood dictate the sound: raw and rowdy one moment, sad and elegant the next.

That's also the way Mr. Costello sings, although it's the softer moments where he really shines. In the past, he's bogged down ballads with over-singing and fake sobbing. This time, with a real-life tragedy to sing about, he wisely tones down the melodrama and turns in one of the finest vocal performances of his career.

E-mail tchristensen@dallasnews.com

Elvis Costello & Allen Toussaint

Grade: A-
The River in Reverse

(Verve/Forecast)
John

Post by John »

Neil. wrote:Well, the album hasn't cracked the UK Top 40. Anyone know if it made the Top 50 - or even the top 100?
Definitely not the top 75. See
http://uk.launch.yahoo.com/c/uk/album_charts.html

I'm not sure where to look for 76-100.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=5452978

Song of the Day
By Tom Moon

Turning Back Time and the Tide

* 'The River in Reverse' by Elvis Costello & Allen Toussaint

NPR.org, June 6, 2006 ·

The deluge of songs immortalizing the wrath of Hurricane Katrina continues this week, with the release of a long-awaited collaboration between Elvis Costello and legendary New Orleans keyboardist, songwriter and producer Allen Toussaint. You're not necessarily a victim of compassion fatigue if you approach this one with less than eager anticipation: For all the ravaged city's musical riches, the songs recorded in the disaster's aftermath have tended toward the obvious and slapdash.

Not this one. Costello is a quick musical study: For The Delivery Man, he assimilated the fine points of Memphis soul as if he'd been singing it for decades. Here, he cops a touch of grease -- essential to New Orleans R&B -- but wisely doesn't try to sound like a native son. It helps that what he's singing is pure genius: Costello's lyrics offer scattered spooky images rather than a laundry list of grievances, a recognition that in the face of biblical circumstances, the far-flung metaphor can communicate what the journalistic account might miss.

The delivery is mostly coy and cool, the groove a classic example of Toussaint understatement cut with a hint of Dr. John's swamp-psychedelic classic Gris Gris. The connection to the city is established before Costello gets busy, and when he cries, "There must be something better than this," his indignant tone speaks for everyone horrified by the aftermath of the crisis. "What do we have to do to send the river in reverse?" Costello wants to know, transforming a literal question for New Orleans into an equally important metaphysical question for everyone else.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Toy Soldier-Scaremonger wrote:O God what a wonderful album he's done! Waiting and waiting for another albums with wall to wall horns was worth it. Many songs are very reminiscent of the great Deep Dark Truthful Mirror because of AT's input. Listening to it and knowing Elvis is back in Ontario next month makes me cry tears, tears, and more tears!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
Well I'm glad it made you return, a mere two months and three days since your last post! It must be something to do with the moon, both you and Plaything or Pet, the poster formerly known as Utilitarian Bunny, returning on the same day. Or 666 drew you both out of the woodworm. Welcome back!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://illinoisentertainer.com/2006/06/ ... cd-review/

Costello & Toussaint CD Review

Spins, Weekly (Wednesday June 7, 2006)

The River In Reverse
(Verve Forecast)

This anticipated ode to New Orleans stirs the soul of the city, though The Angry Young Man’s voice often gets in the way.

Costello is so proficient at a bowl full of genres, he’s lucky to have an asset to tie it all together as him. Unfortunately, his nasal whine is it. Yelling rampantly over music penned mostly by NOLA’s bedrock tunesmith Allen Toussaint, it’s often difficult to grasp the earthy spirits haunting the tracks. Behind the boards, Joe Henry directs Costello, Toussaint, The Imposters, and The Crescent City Horns into a faintly safe mixture of blues and gospel, one that could use a little more than Steve Nieve’s B3 organ to provide texture. Aside from the chain-gang prayer of the Toussaint-sung “Who’s Gonna Help Brother Get Further?â€
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Is there a reason why the reviewer above doesn't want us to download the songs he thinks work best?
What this world needs is more silly men.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

[quote="johnfoyle"]http://illinoisentertainer.com/2006/06/ ... cd-review/

Costello is so proficient at a bowl full of genres, he’s lucky to have an asset to tie it all together as him. Unfortunately, his nasal whine is it. Yelling rampantly over music penned mostly by NOLA’s bedrock tunesmith Allen Toussaint, it’s often difficult to grasp the earthy spirits haunting the tracks. Behind the boards, Joe Henry directs Costello, Toussaint, The Imposters, and The Crescent City Horns into a faintly safe mixture of blues and gospel, one that could use a little more than Steve Nieve’s B3 organ to provide texture. Aside from the chain-gang prayer of the Toussaint-sung “Who’s Gonna Help Brother Get Further?â€
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.rhino.com/rzine/StoryKeeper. ... toryID=832

Rhino Recommends

Elvis Costello & Allen Toussaint - The River In Reverse (Verve Forecast)

by J. Poet

New Orleans legend Allen Toussaint might not seem like the most obvious of all parings with the ever prolific and peripatetic Elvis Costello. But after a couple of chance meeting/collaborations—first, when Wynton Marsalis invited Costello to perform at a Lincoln Center benefit for Hurricane Katrina victims, then a week later, Costello played another NYC benefit where Toussaint led the backing band—it seemed natural when Verve called suggesting the two get together again in the studio.

Costello obviously owes a huge stylistic debt to the black American music of which Toussaint is an important part, and he repays it in full on this rocking, rollicking set. Toussaint, of course, is a songwriter with a catalogue just as diverse as Costello's, and 40-odd years of producing, arranging, piano playing and singing under his belt. Together they resurrect a few obscure Toussaint gems and showcase a bunch of new compositions written individually (Costello's title track, first performed at the second benefit mentioned above) and together.

"Tears, Tears and More Tears," a Toussaint oldie, is delivered by Costello in his most soulful, passionate and joyful voice, with the horn section bubbling like a pot of gumbo, (pardon the cliche), and oustanding keyboard interplay between Toussaint's piano and Steve Nieve's organ. The funky "Who's Gonna Help A Brother Get Further?" a proto-protest tune originally cut by Lee Dorsey in the '60s (under Toussaint's aegis), takes on new meaning in the wake of Katrina. Toussaint's smooth, honeyed vocals are full of compassionate humor and Joe "Foxx" Smith blows a wild baritone euphonium solo. When Toussaint sings: "What happened to the Liberty bell... it didn't ding dong, it must have dinged wrong," the line is drenched with humor and bitter irony.

The iconic "Tipitina," originally written by Toussaint with Professor Longhair, gets a new lyric from Costello and new title, "Ascension Day." With a Katrina-inspired message of anger, faith and resurrection, it becomes a beautiful song of hope and protest. "Six-Fingered Man" is the kind of dark bluesy tune Costello does so well. Costello spits out the lyric over a thumping bass line accented by a dissonant arrangement full of distorted guitar, shrieking horns and Toussaint's twinkling keyboard work.

In short, The River In Reverse has nary a single dull moment, weak track, or wasted note, and the players—Costello's Imposters and Toussaint's Crescent City Horns—are obviously having a ball. All thriller, no filler, this Toussaint/Costello pairing is a marriage made in Crescent City heaven.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

[quote="johnfoyle"
The iconic "Tipitina," originally written by Toussaint with Professor Longhair[/quote]

Whoops! He'd wish!
What this world needs is more silly men.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

pophead2k wrote: http://illinoisentertainer.com/2006/06/ ... cd-review/

Was this translated from a foreign language? This may be the worst writing I've ever seen in a newspaper! And not just because the guy clearly has his head up his ass!
The Illinois Entertainer is a monthly that features several pages of ads for local bars, local bands, and the occasional coupon for a record store. Beyond that I've never seen anything in it that resembles journalism. But maybe I missed a week.
charliestumpy

TRIR

Post by charliestumpy »

This is now my favourite Costello album since 1986. First 11 finishing with new version of his 1986 cover of 'All these things' are IMO great soul/blues/boogie etc. I am still not convinced by tracks 12 & 13.

The 2 bonus (Japanese CD and UK iTunes) tracks & bit of 'What do YWTGTD' on DVD & live 'Yes we can' with Toussaint are for me very very enjoyable too. I have got used to his snarl/find it great in context at beginning of track 1.

As someone who traditionally prefers vinyl and who has got used to convenience of CD I think this TRIR CD sounds jolly good. It took me 6 plays through to appreciate the 1st XI tracks. I am now very glad I bought it/DVD. Thanks Elvis/Mr Toussaint etc.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Had my copy from Japan just over a week now. The order came quicker than the Delivery Man from Amazon UK. Have to agree with most of what's been said. Very likeable relaxed album. Great warm-sounding horns. Would have likes more Toussaint vocals. Not sure about the first 2 tracks - On the way down suffers by comparison to the Little Feat version (would have preferred What do you want the girl to do as on DVD and previously by Lowell George, Bonnie Raitt) and Nearer to you doesn't really do it for me. I disagree about most comments about Wonder Woman and 6-fingered man - I love them both and particularly the latter. Broken promise land wouldn't have been out of place on Punch the Clock (not sure if that's a good thing - the horns here are certainly better). Also just downloaded Where is the love from iTunes - not great on first couple of hearings. The greatest love on the Japanese version, though, is well worth it. Needs longer acquaintance to rank against past glories but above average certainly.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Here's a video clip from e-Talk Daily
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The Irish Times , June 9 '06

ELVIS COSTELLO & ALLEN TOUSSAINT
The River in Reverse Verve ****

Elvis is having a fine old time these days, hobnobbing with his heroes such as 68-year-old New Orleans legend Allen Toussaint, with whom he has recorded this mixed but ultimately valuable set. Toussaint is the man behind such songs as Lady Marmalade and Working in a Coal Mine, working as producer, writer, pianist and, in many cases, all three. For this 13-track outing (aimed at showcasing the revival of New Orleans) he generally takes a back seat as Elvis and his Imposters, allied to the Crescent City Horns, select from his back pages or crank out a few new songs framed in the New Orleans tradition. Some of Elvis’s own songs and his collaborations sound the wrong side of forced, particularly Broken Promise Land, but when they score they score big-time, as on Nearer to You, Ascension Day, On Your Way Down and All These Things.

http://www.verveforecast.com
Joe Breen

Record Collector
, July '06

Elvis Costello &
Allen Toussaint
The River In Reverse

Verve Forecast 9856057

Two greats at the top of their game

Restless Elvis plays closer to home on on this latest hobby’ project. The deep soul strut evident makes it almost a cornpanion piece to 2004’s magnificent The Delivery Man, but with a bona tide R&B legend muscling in on the action.

Having collaborated twice in the past, plans for this joint album were hatched at a Hurricane Katrina benefit in New York last year; half new co-writes and half cherry-picked from Toussaint’s archives of prior New Orleans gems, fashioned, like The Delivery Man, virtually live in the studio with The Imposters in the southern US.

Best of the ‘oldies’ are a delicate reading of Art Neville’s All These Things and Toussaint himself on lead vocals for a soupedup groove through Who’s Gonna Help Brother Get Further?, first recorded by Lee Dorsey in 1970. Many of the new songs recreate the spirit of the past, while boasting an ambiguity where they could be read either as paeans to fictional lost love or factual lost hope, subtly addressing the aftermath of Katrina without recourse to in-yer-face sloganeering.

Toussaint’s signature piano is well evident throughout (Imposter Steve Nieve switching to Hammond organ), but ultimately it’s Costello’s album, and one of his best. Still a collaborative effort, though, and probably more palatable to some ears than excursions with chamber quartets, jazz orchestras or easy listening gurus.

Terry Staunton

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/m ... 40,00.html

Rocky Mountain News
June 9, 2006

The River in Reverse, Verve/Forecast
Grade: A-

Casual fans might think Elvis Costello is jumping on the Katrina bandwagon with his new collaboration with the legendary Allen Toussaint on an album recorded in New Orleans in the wake of the hurricane's destruction.

But Costello has worked with producer-pianist Toussaint for more than 20 years, with Toussaint producing Punch the Clock in '83 and Costello playing songs such as Tears, Tears and More Tears onstage with The Attractions a year later.So it's fitting that that particular song is the first single off of The River in Reverse, a for-the-most-part- seamless collaboration of two musical greats.

Some of Costello's side projects and collaborations are an acquired taste; many fans still can't take the great Juliet Letters, recorded with the Brodsky Quartet. This isn't an acquired taste but an instant delight. It helps that Costello is joined by his backing band The Imposters for most songs, and the band is perfectly suited to work with Toussaint as well.

Consisting of remakes of Toussaint classics combined with new co-compositions by the pair, The River in Reverse is an earnest, authentic romp through New Orleans' musical heritage (heavy on the horns) with some biting social commentary.

Maybe it's aural comfort food. Like Bruce Springsteen's recent foray into traditional music with We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions, Costello casts a modern voice back into our shared musical past - a reminder that the best music may have been made decades ago.

It's worth revisiting, even in the brand-new songs. International Echo, a co-write by Costello and Toussaint, perfectly encompasses both men's musical strengths - classic Costello given a zesty New Orleans blast from Toussaint.

The title cut, however, is the standout. The River in Reverse asks, "How long does a promise last? / How long can a lie be told? / What would I take in exchange for my soul? / Would I notice when it was sold?" A song of abandonment, lost faith and despair, it has New Orleans and Katrina written all over it. It dovetails neatly with another song on the disc, Broken Promise Land, where raucous verses suddenly go silent while Costello's voice plaintively sings, "It didn't turn out the way we planned / now I'm living in broken promise land."

Costello's voice occasionally gets overwrought on some of the slower numbers, such as Toussaint's Nearer to You, but that's a small quibble. The River in Reverse is a high point in both artist's careers.

Mark Brown

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 00486.html

Toussaint: Following The Ebb And Flow

By Richard Harrington
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, June 9, 2006; Page WE07

Toussaint profile ; usual stuff.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Wow - did anyone else know Allen Toussaint produced Punch the Clock? :lol:

Is Tears Tears and More Tears the new single?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

It's amazing how many errors have been included in these reviews.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Reminder - tomorrow afternoon, 4-5 pm in all Canadian time zones - DNTO on CBC Radio 1 is airing the EC and AT show recorded in Toronto on May 2nd.
From 4-5
And we'll close out the show with a special live concert featuring Elvis Costello and New Orleans musician Allen Toussaint. Recorded at Toronto's Spoke Club, tune in to hear music from their brand new album, The River in Reverse.

Setlist:

WHAT DO YOU WANT THE GIRL TO DO (Not commercially available) THE SHARPEST THORN (Not commercially available) Duration: 00:03:51
FREEDOM FOR THE STALLION (Not commercially available) Duration: 00:02:41
THE RIVER IN REVERSE (Not commercially available) Duration: 00:04:16
ASCENSION DAY (Not commercially available) Duration: 00:02:42
WHO'S GONNA HELP BROTHER GET FURTHER (Not commercially available) Duration: 00:03:48
NEARER TO YOU (Not commercially available) Duration: 00:02:39
THE GREATEST LOVE (Not commercially available) Duration: 00:03:12
YES WE CAN CAN (Not commercially available) Duration: 00:02:09
Last edited by scielle on Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LessThanZero

Oh no!

Post by LessThanZero »

I'm KILLING this CD! Listening too much, too often! How do I stop?!?
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

LTZ, I know what you mean. I find myself skipping tracks around a lot, not because I don't like any particular one, but because I can't wait to hear the next one!
Otis Westinghouse

Re: Oh no!

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

LessThanZero wrote:I'm KILLING this CD! Listening too much, too often! How do I stop?!?
Go to a gig by someone else. I was playing it a lot for a week, and then ron sexsmith hit these shores and I've played no-one else for a week, revisiting all of his LPs etc. Heaven. Now for Elvis again...
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/entertainmen ... =dfw_music

Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Fri, Jun. 09, 2006

It's a nice pairing -- too nice

ROBERT PHILPOT
STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

From the rolling piano chords that begin On Your Way Down, the first song on Elvis Costello and Allen Toussaint's new album The River in Reverse, the influence on Toussaint of New Orleans greats Professor Longhair and Fats Domino is clear. But although this album -- a collaboration formed in the wake of the Hurricane Katrina disaster -- is steeped in Crescent City soul, something's a little off about it. I never thought I'd say this about something involving Costello, but it's too nice.

Or rather, too pleasant. Controlled rather than raucous, The River in Reverse tames Costello's vitriol (not totally a bad thing, given the crankiness of much of his work during the past two decades) and slides along on Joe Henry's politely tasteful production. Costello sings most of the lead vocals, but this is more Toussaint's album, and you begin to understand why the legendary New Orleans-based composer is best-known for other people's versions of his songs. This is the calm after the storm, even if the NPR-ready music sometimes conceals bitter lyrics.

For many listeners, this will be fine. But for many others, they'll cherish the occasional moments of relative rudeness or liveliness. Not for nothing is the horn-driven single Tears, Tears and More Tears; despite its title, it's the most upbeat thing on the album. Who's Gonna Help a Brother Get Further?, one of the older Toussaint songs here, benefits from the change of pace of having Toussaint take lead vocal. Broken Promise Land gets a boost from Costello's tremolo strikes on his Fender Telecaster, and Toussaint's longtime guitarist Anthony "AB" Brown gives several songs a little more oomph.

Broken Promise Land is one of the album's more overt references to Katrina, which brought the two artists back together. They've collaborated before, most notably on Deep, Dark Truthful Mirror from Costello's 1989 CD Spike and for a Katrina benefit concert. When Costello learned that Toussaint had been forced to relocate to New York from New Orleans after the storm, he pushed for a bigger project. According to the record label's Web site, the album was recorded early last fall and is believed to be the first full-length post-Katrina CD project done in New Orleans.

Other influences slip through: There's a lot of Booker T. and the MG's (especially in the Hammond B3s that Costello and longtime keyboard player Steve Nieve play) and an overall Southern soul sound to the Crescent City Horns, a major presence throughout the album. It's all very affectionate, all very smooth. And it would be better if it was a little rough.

Elvis Costello and Allen Toussaint

The River in Reverse

Verve Forecast

GRADE: B

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Robert Philpot, 817-390-7872 rphilpot@star-telegram.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.boston.com/ae/music/cd_revie ... rt/?page=2

Boston Globe, Fri, 09 Jun 2006

THE RIVER IN REVERSE
Verve Forecast

Elvis Costello’s latest is a project born of Hurricane Katrina — specifically, of legendary New Orleans songwriter, producer, and musician Allen Toussaint’s dislocation to New York City, where he and Costello crossed paths at various Katrina benefits and renewed their musical friendship. In turn, that lighted the fuse in Costello’s febrile mind of doing an album with Toussaint. The result is part collaboration and part tribute to Toussaint and, thereby, to New Orleans and its musical heritage. In some measure, it’s also an expression of distress at the current state of the city, although it’s not entirely clear at whom, exactly, the finger is being pointed. Costello has described the project as a ‘‘meeting,’’ and indeed it is: between Costello and his Imposters, and Touissant and his Crescent City Horns; between Costello the vocalist and the structure of classic Toussaint material (and classic renditions of that material); and between Costello and Toussaint working together as songwriters, arrangers, and musicians. The greater part of the record consists of renditions of less-familiar songs from Toussaint’s catalog, using classic performances of those songs as templates — from Little Feat (‘‘On Your Way Down’’), Betty Harris (‘‘Nearer to You’’), Brinsley Schwarz (‘‘Wonder Woman’’), the Uniques (‘‘All These Things’’), and especially Lee Dorsey (‘‘Tears, Tears and More Tears,’’ ‘‘Freedom for the Stallion’’). Those revisitations are complemented by several new songs by the pair, the best of which marry Toussaint’s classic R&B vibe to the murky sting and wit of Costello’s lyrics. Altogether a whole that is more than the sum of its parts, ‘‘The River in Reverse’’ celebrates the music of Toussaint’s New Orleans by adding to it, even as it laments the destruction and incompetence that have been visited upon the city itself.

ESSENTIAL TRACK: ‘‘Who’s Gonna Help Brother Get Further?’’

STUART MUNRO
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 00324.html

The Washington Post
Sunday, June 11, 2006

THE RIVER IN REVERSE

Elvis Costello and Allen Toussaint

After years spent wrestling into submission musical genres ranging from pop standards to ballet scores, it was probably only a matter of time until Elvis Costello got around to making an R&B album.

"The River in Reverse," a collaboration among Costello, venerated New Orleans pianist Allen Toussaint and their respective backing teams, was, according to its press materials, the first major album recorded in New Orleans since Hurricane Katrina. Though its aftereffects can be felt in any number of recent releases, "River" may be the first bona fide Katrina set piece. It's as woeful and angry an album as you might have figured, helped along by several Costello-Toussaint compositions that speak either implicitly ("Ascension Day") or directly ("Broken Promise Land") to the disaster, and several Toussaint standards likely chosen for their ability to do the same.

There's a poignancy to even the simplest lines ("Baby won't you please come home?"), underscored by Toussaint's masterly piano-and-horn-centric arrangements, though "River" isn't any darker than it needs to be. Unlike many of Costello's other stylistic wanderings, the disc has a game, let's-put-on-a-show quality, though it's often more willing than it is great: "River" is fenced in by Costello's voice, which has grown in warmth since his sharp-elbowed early days but is still no match for Toussaint classics such as "Tears, Tears and More Tears," which have tested the limits of voices far greater than his.

-- Allison Stewart
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Usual write-up here -

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/feat ... allen.html

Katrina unites duo in musical healing

By George Varga
UNION-TRIBUNE POP MUSIC CRITIC
June 11, 2006

Elvis Costello has hailed Allen Toussaint as a “master of music,â€
John

Post by John »

Sales seem to be quite good in the US. The album has been in the Amazon top 20 all week and is currently at 15 - the highest I saw was 14.