Elvis sings song on soundtrack "Boardwalk Empire"

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis sings song on soundtrack "Boardwalk Empire"

Post by sweetest punch »

Hear the song here: http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2013/08/ ... lk-empire/

Listen to Elvis Costello’s Exclusive Song From ‘Boardwalk Empire’

“Boardwalk Empire” is known for the meticulous attention the HBO drama pays to period details, from the cut of Nucky Thompson’s suits to books characters on the show are reading. The same holds true for the songs on the “Boardwalk Empire” soundtrack albums, if not for the singers.

“Boardwalk Empire Volume 2: Music From the HBO Original Series” follows up with the Grammy-winning first installment from 2011 with period songs performed by latter-day artists, including Patti Smith, Rufus Wainwright, Liza Minelli and Elvis Costello, whose version of “It Had to Be You” premieres today on Speakeasy.

“While we’ve had an incredible group of singers work with us on the four seasons of ‘Boardwalk Empire,’ the thrill of capturing the voice and spirit of Elvis Costello is unsurpassable,” Randall Poster, the music supervisor for the show, told Speakeasy. “Elvis is steeped in the music and lore of the twenties and his ‘It Had To Be You’ is a classic take on a classic song that has entertained audiences for decades and decades. Our fingers are crossed that we’ll have him in front of our bandstand again soon.”

Costello is accompanied by Vince Giordano & the Nighthawks’ jaunty arrangement of brass and woodwinds on the song, written in 1924 by Isham Jones and Gus Kahn, and first recorded by Sam Lanin and his Orchestra that same year — and countless artists since, including Ray Charles, Harry Nilsson and, of course, Harry Connick Jr.

“Boardwalk Empire Volume 2 ” is due Sept. 3 on ABKCO, and available here for pre-order. “Boardwalk Empire” returns to HBO on Sept. 8. The full track listing is below.

1. David Johansen, “Strut Miss Lizzie”
2. Stephen DeRosa, “Old King Tut”
3. Elvis Costello, “It Had to Be You”
4. Vince Giordano & the Nighthawks, “Everybody Loves My Baby”
5. Liza Minelli, “You’ve Got to See Mama Ev’ry Night (Or You Can’t See Mama at All)
6. Leon Redbone, “Baby Won’t You Please Come Home”
7. St. Vincent, “Make Believe”
8. Pokey LaFarge, “Lovesick Blues”
9. Neko Case, “Nobody Knows You When You’re Down and Out”
10. Karen Elson, “Who’s Sorry Now”
11. Stephan DeRosa “You’d Be Surprised”
12. Margot Bingham, “I’m Going South”
13. Vince Giordano & the Nighthawks, “Sugarfoot Stomp”
14. Rufus Wainwright, “Jimbo Jambo”
15. Kathy Brier, “There’ll Be Some Changes Made”
16. Margot Bingham, “Somebody Loves Me”
17. Chaim Tannenbaum, “All Alone”
18. Loudon Wainwright III, “The Prisoner’s Song”
19. Patti Smith, “I Ain’t Got Nobody”
20. Matt Berninger “I’ll See You in My Dreams”
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Poor Deportee

Re: Elvis sings song on soundtrack "Boardwalk Empire"

Post by Poor Deportee »

The show is fabulous, its music is fabulous, and getting EC involved merely makes it that much more fabulous. Cool!
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

http://bit.ly/1cKd4ju

That cover works so nicely because he truly seems to make an effort to scale the vocal down and alppears to effect a bit part as if a were a singer in the background of a scene for an episode of the series. A sound 'crooner' performance and for me one of his stronger covers in some time. Paging Bing Crosby and the Paul Whiteman Orchestra!!!!! 8)
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

The whole soundtrack is streaming now here: http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/ ... m-premiere
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Lovely - thanks for info-link ...
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/b ... all-624117

'Boardwalk Empire' Music Supervisor Randall Poster on Bringing 1920s 'Hits' into 2013 (Q&A)
Kevin Davis

Post by Kevin Davis »

I love this song, probably my favorite EC soundtrack tune since "Let's Misbehave."
KD's music blog
KD's book
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://twitter.com/ElvisCostello/status ... 1328963586
@ElvisCostello recording of “It Had To Be You” will be played in tonights episode of @HBO Boardwalk Empire at 9pm ET.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.npr.org/2013/11/06/243483782 ... ign=Buffer

Vince Giordano: The Fresh Air Interview
November 06, 2013 3:39 PM

(extract)

If you love jazz and pop from the 1920s and '30s, you might already love the HBO series Boardwalk Empire, set in Atlantic City during Prohibition. The music played throughout the show is performed by and the Nighthawks, and a second album of music from the series was recently released. It features the band performing instrumentals, plus vocal tracks with singers not associated with music of the '20s, like Elvis Costello, Patti Smith & Neko Case.