Help me find the really good songs!?? (Top 25 all time?)

Pretty self-explanatory
grantprobst

Help me find the really good songs!?? (Top 25 all time?)

Post by grantprobst »

First post here, so hi everyone!

...So, I am probably only an AVERAGE obsessive when it comes to Elvis Costello,
But I have been trying to wade deeper into his material lately, to find more treasures.

But with the rediculous amount of material EC has released over the years, it is hard to know where to look!
So, I will just ask you more veteran fans to help me out.

What are your top 25 all time favorite elvis costello songs??
(or any suggestions would be helpful!)

--

here is a few of my favs, at the moment, to start us off...

1. I Want You
2. Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
3. God's Comic
4. Tramp The Dirt Down
5. Broken Promise Land
6. Welcome To The Working Week
7. How To Be Dumb
8. You Tripped At Every Step
9. Still
10. All This Useless Beauty
11. Alison
12. Uncomplicated
13. I Almost Had A Weakness
14. 45
15. Toledo
16. Josephine
17. Radio Radio
18. Less Than Zero
19. No Action
20. Please Stay
21. Man Out Of Time
22. Either Side Of The Same Town
23. Chelsea
24. Sulphur To Sugarcane
25. Bedlam

Thanks!
grant!
Kevin Davis

Re: Help me find the really good songs!?? (Top 25 all time?

Post by Kevin Davis »

Hi Grant--which albums do you have already? That might be a good jumping off point from which to start making recommendations.
KD's music blog
KD's book
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

A welcome to you as well- this will be quite the catalog to roam through. Would follow Mr. Davis's suggestion- start with the records you currently own. I am most hesitant to recommend specific songs as what I like will not always be what you might like. It would appear you have already made a solid start towards your own list. I say just start roaming and make your own critical judgements as to songs you want to continuously keep spinning on your player. There are plenty to choose from. With access to Pandora or Spotify these days one can pretty much sample his entire ouevre. Happy listening!
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Jocko Wainwright

Post by Jocko Wainwright »

I remember when I first got heavily into Elvis back in the early 90s. After the obligatory greatest hits thingy, I just started with the first album and bought them in chronological order, one at a time. It certainly worked for me. Of course, that was back in the Paleozoic, when people actually had to buy music (or steal it properly, in a coat pocket).
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

Hey dude. I put together my own little list-- granted, mine wasn't so much a "best of", as it was a "Starter Kit" for several of my friends who were completely unfamiliar with EC's work. It's 22 songs (19 tracks that flow together pretty well, and an additional three tacked-on "bonus tracks"), with my own two cents on each song and a download link should you be interested in hearing the collection. You can find it at my blog: http://jorgefarah.com/2011/06/14/little ... rite-song/

Of course, there are a few songs there that would horrify some people in this message board. With a catalog as wide and varied as EC's, everybody's going to have their own ideas on what constitute his best or most representative work. Let me know if you check out the collection, I'm always happy to hear feedback.
Kevin Davis

Post by Kevin Davis »

Christopher Sjoholm wrote:A welcome to you as well- this will be quite the catalog to roam through. Would follow Mr. Davis's suggestion- start with the records you currently own. I am most hesitant to recommend specific songs as what I like will not always be what you might like. It would appear you have already made a solid start towards your own list. I say just start roaming and make your own critical judgements as to songs you want to continuously keep spinning on your player. There are plenty to choose from. With access to Pandora or Spotify these days one can pretty much sample his entire ouevre. Happy listening!
Yeah, looking at the songs you posted, it doesn't really look like anything is going to put you off at this point. You have a nice broad range on there.

And I'd second having a look at the_platypus's mix.
KD's music blog
KD's book
when i was cruel

Post by when i was cruel »

You get the chance start looking into the bonus editions of albums, then eventually give the bootleg menu a look. Unwanted Numbers is great for that.
It's not the days when you leave me, but all I fear are the nights.
grantprobst

Post by grantprobst »

Thanks for all the replies! Wow. This must be a pretty lively forum! (Wasn't expecting such quick feedback!) :mrgreen:
And I will totally check out your playlist, sir "platypus"!

I have most of Elvis Costello's major albums, but I am still trying to get a few of them.
(But there are a lot of albums, I have only listened to once or twice... so I still feel unfimilliar)

My most recent purchase, was "The River In Reverse". Loved that one, as well.
It continues to mystify me how one man, can not only play in so many different generes...

...but in many cases, rock the hell out of them in near flawless perfection!
It's trippy!
I stand in awe. lol
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Welcome!

On top of the list you've already given, I'd say you have to hear

Oliver's Army,
Accidents Will Happen,
Motel Matches,
Beyond Belief
Ghost Train
Pump It Up
The Beat
You'll Never Be A Man
Black Sails in the Sunset...

agh, I haven't got all day, but I could sit here all day typing stuff off the top of my head!