'Sparkling Day' by Elvis

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Re: 'Sparkling Day' by Elvis on soundtrack for 'One Day' Aug

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis' site has this -

http://www.elviscostello.com/#/news/sou ... stello/213

On August 16th, 2011, Universal Music Enterprises (UMe) releases digitally the motion picture soundtrack for the new movie One Day, starring Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess. The soundtrack "One Day" features a brand new track written and composed exclusively for the movie by Elvis Costello; titled “Sparkling Day,” the song is only available on this soundtrack. Also included is a stellar roster of songs by a diverse group of artists from the last two decades; and plus selections from the original film score by Academy Award winner Rachel Portman (Emma, The Cider House Rules, Chocolat).
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

O dear. The Curse Of Costello?

'Review: ‘One Day’ Essentially An Overwrought Nicholas Sparks Movie With Dodgy English Accents'

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/ ... ny_sparks/
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

I'm amazed at how the profile given to EC's name in promotion for this film. The ad I saw had a huge blurb, 'with original music by ELVIS COSTELLO' as though this were a huge marketing asset.

Elvis, it seems, occupies a very odd place in mainstream consciousness these days...hardly anyone seems to actually listen to his music, but his name has somehow re-acquired a vague star power. I think 'Spectacle' was the greatest career move in years for him; it established him the public mind as somebody of stature even as people blithely go on ignoring his actual work, leading to oddities like this use of his name as a significant promo tool for a movie. Weird.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
jardine

Post by jardine »

I agree, Poor Deportee, and well put. It really is oddly skewed, isn't it, the relation between his reputation and his "popularity."

Usually when your reputation outruns your popularity, it is because of a bad reputation...
John

Post by John »

The film's director, Lone Scherfig, talks about the song and Elvis here

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/08/ ... daptation/

Speaking of music, how did you get Elvis Costello to write and perform a song for the film?

He’s very much a man of that period because his music was there through all these years. So it was logical to go to him. He saw the film and reacted by composing this song ["Sparking Day"]. He didn’t know it at the time, but the song had something that I had been looking for. As a marker track in the film, I had put in a simple folk song about a heartbreaking love, and he came back with a song that had those very elements. Later, he added a lot of effects to the song — some fun percussion and something that comes from someone who’s not that young anymore, someone who’s not afraid to have excess energy and a generosity that makes the song sparkle in a fun way. I’ve actually never met him. All of our correspondence has been over email. But I love that track. I love that he’s unpretentious and it come right from his heart. I hope to see him at some point.
Last edited by John on Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Poor Deportee wrote:I'm amazed at how the profile given to EC's name in promotion for this film. The ad I saw had a huge blurb, 'with original music by ELVIS COSTELLO' as though this were a huge marketing asset.

Elvis, it seems, occupies a very odd place in mainstream consciousness these days...hardly anyone seems to actually listen to his music, but his name has somehow re-acquired a vague star power. I think 'Spectacle' was the greatest career move in years for him; it established him the public mind as somebody of stature even as people blithely go on ignoring his actual work, leading to oddities like this use of his name as a significant promo tool for a movie. Weird.
I don't know what it's like for you but when I tell people I'm going to see EC some of them say "Is he still going?" :roll:

The Sparkling Day song is OK. It'll be interesting, as has more or less already been said, to see if the song sells given that it's at the end of the film.

I remember posting about how "She" was released far too late. If it had been released when the film was released it would have propelled EC back into the mainstream. It didn't do him too much harm though as it enabled him to do Part 2 of a UK tour if I remember correctly and allowed him to roll his eyes upward when he played it!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The film's director, Lone Scherfig, talks about the song and Elvis here

posting.php?mode=reply&f=2&t=8872
This is the correct link for the interview John - your's goes to this forum-

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/08/ ... daptation/
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://movies.nytimes.com/2011/08/19/mo ... eview.html

(extract)

Being British, the two main characters — their names are Emma and Dex, and they are played by Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess — identify that square on the calendar as St. Swithin’s Day, which their American Gen-X counterparts may be more likely to know from the lovely, lovelorn Billy Bragg song of the same name.

As far as I could tell, that tune is not heard on the soundtrack, though much else is, including a lush, swooning, deliciously anachronistic orchestral score by Rachel Portman and a handful of period-appropriate numbers. By the final credits, as a song by Elvis Costello drowns out the snifflings of the audience — late-season allergies? mourning for lost youth? (spoiler redacted?) — the structural principle of the movie may at last become clear. Though it was adapted from a best-selling novel (by David Nicholls, who wrote the screenplay), “One Day” is less a conventional story than a mixtape.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

Thus far, a horrible 31% on the Tomato meter regarding all critics and a worse 27% with Top Critics (formerly known as Cream of the Crop). However, it is early.

Roger Ebert does give it it a positive review, though, as did Tony Scott (his review was the one above):
http://www.rogerebert.com/apps/pbcs.dll ... 983/-1/RSS
(no mention of Costello in the review, but that is no surprise)
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Somewhat promising here with AO Scott of the NY Times and rather wickedly funny in his review[as usual].

http://movies.nytimes.com/2011/08/19/mo ... ref=movies

There is this mention which is quite amusing:

"Being British, the two main characters — their names are Emma and Dex, and they are played by Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess — identify that square on the calendar as St. Swithin’s Day, which their American Gen-X counterparts may be more likely to know from the lovely, lovelorn Billy Bragg song of the same name.

As far as I could tell, that tune is not heard on the soundtrack, though much else is, including a lush, swooning, deliciously anachronistic orchestral score by Rachel Portman and a handful of period-appropriate numbers. By the final credits, as a song by Elvis Costello drowns out the snifflings of the audience — late-season allergies? mourning for lost youth? (spoiler redacted?) — the structural principle of the movie may at last become clear. Though it was adapted from a best-selling novel (by David Nicholls, who wrote the screenplay), “One Day” is less a conventional story than a mixtape."

And I do l find his final comment, equally amusing, as well-

"On the other hand, you might cringe to see the film’s wit and delicacy ruined by maudlin excess and wish you could remix the tape to get rid of that song you always hated."
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... 4&comments

'Check out this clip of Elvis Costello, who helped produce some of the music behind One Day, as he describes what a song can do for a film. '
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Very late to this party, but I quite like the track. It'll never make my top 40 EC tunes, but a nice change of pace from recent output. In fact, I like all of EC's film tracks to varying degrees:

My Mood Swings
God Give Me Strength
You Stole My Bell
She

I'm sure there are others too.
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

The song's kind of a 'meh' to me. Very much a late-period Elvis song in its slightly precious lyrics and sentiment, it's also undercut somewhat by strained singing, an ailment from which I thought he was in recovery. Lots of appealing melodic ideas, though. A cover is in order if you ask me.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

pophead2k wrote:Very late to this party, but I quite like the track. It'll never make my top 40 EC tunes, but a nice change of pace from recent output. In fact, I like all of EC's film tracks to varying degrees:

My Mood Swings
God Give Me Strength
You Stole My Bell
She

I'm sure there are others too.
Party Party. :wink:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

The Scarlet Tide
I Throw My Toys Around
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

I'll Never Fall In Love Again.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Crawling to the USA
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

does "My Dark Life" count? was that a movie or a t.v. show?
fred darden

Post by fred darden »

tv, the x-files
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

Has everyone forgotten about "Seven Day Weekend"? (from "Club Paradise") with EC and The Attractions and Jimmy Cliff!

Plus all the instrumentals EC did for "Straight to Hell"? And "The Courier"?
--Paul--
Now put on your ironic dancing shoes
And dig my brand new rhythm and hues:
https://www.paulinglis.org
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

yes we did Pope...good work. got a hunch there's probably another one or two also!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Featuring , yet again, Docs link - 15,585 views so far!

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/music/i ... g_day.html

Song of the Day: 'Sparkling Day,' Elvis Costello

By Jay Lustig/The Star-Ledger The Star-Ledger

Monday, August 22, 2011

You would have never predicted it during his angry-young-man days, but Elvis Costello should now be considered one of the greatest crooners of his generation. He doesn't often work in a lushly romantic style, but when he does -- as on his 1998 album with Burt Bacharach, "Painted From Memory," or on his underrated 2003 album "North" -- the results have often been exceptional.

Check out a fine new song of his in this style: featuring his usual backing band, the Imposters, plus a string section that doesn't just add padding, but adds some drama of its own: "Sparkling Day," from the soundtrack of the new movie, "One Day."
A rope leash

Thanks, but...

Post by A rope leash »

Thanks for posting the song, but let's be honest.

Elvis can do a lot better. This is worse than Sad About Girls.

I don't get it. The lyrics are shallow, and the voice performance is awful. The only kind of wonderful thing about it is some of the orchestral quirks.

How much did he get paid for this? He must be laughing all the way to the bank.

It doesn't make sense. How can this be such a bad piece just after his virtuoso vocal performace on National Ransom? He does so many great things with his voice on that recording...but in this recording he seems to be straining at every word.

Okay, I only listened once. Tell me it gets better.