Limbaugh

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I don't think all people (im christian too by the way) with religion are hate filled per se. I just think that if someone is very religous, it's usually the more negative aspect they focus on, i.e. you shouldn't drink, rather than you should be helping your neighbour.

Obviously it doesn't apply to everyone, I know and am related to some very kind and devoted catholics, but am also related to some very self-consumed, narrow minded catholics.

It's a sad fact that religion has caused more wars, and grief than it has helped people in times of need.
A rope leash

On my sword

Post by A rope leash »

I apologize to Lipstick for lumping all Christians in with some other Christians. The fact is that there are many different kinds of Christians.

Another fact is that a rope leash has a huge chip on his shoulder about Christianity. This is because of some very awful things that happened a long time ago. If I'm bigoted against people that are bigoted, then I'm good with that. But I also have strong adverse feeling towards almost all people that allow their faith define them, and to dictate their actions. That's not freedom, at least not to me.

So, I'm opposed to it. It doesn't mean I hate you, but it might be that I am a bigot of sorts.

And, Cbart's right...it is possible to step in some shit on this board, and it's highly likely the shit was laid by a rope leash.

Rush has got me thinking about addiction. I've got to quit this board...

If you want to get inside the head of a rope leash, this site pretty much appoximates many of my philosophies.

http://www.churchofreality.org

Lipstick, do not go there...

gone daddy gone
Lipstick

Post by Lipstick »

Guilty: Starting a fight

Not Guilty: Anything Fallwell has every said

Christianity is impossible
Faith is ridiculous
A superstitious mystery
Nonsense
And yet
It stirs my soul

It is a place of questions,
of terrifying risk.
It is too full of pain and vulnerability,
Too awe-ful and wonderful,
Too real, Too frightening
For the faint of heart.
Don't bury me 'cause I'm not dead yet.
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

I'm a black woman whose mother is Baptist and father is Black Hebrew (like those African Americans who live in Israel, only a bit more sane). I grew up learning a lot about both Judaism and Christianity, as well as other religions like Islam and Buddhism.

My folks were very open about religion with us, but didn't force us to study the Torah or the Bible, or even to go to church. It was always our choice. My dad said once that one's religion is like one's sex life: it's a very important, private part of someone's life. And, a person shouldn't talk about it to others unless he's asked. I always thought that it was wonderful of my dad not to push his own beliefs on us (even though I now identify more with Judaism than Christianity).

Lipstick, it's true--many Christians are bigots. It's just part of the structure. There are plenty of Christians who truly believe in loving and respecting everyone, but the vast majority of the Christians I've met (and, Lipstick, that excludes you) believe that they must convert others. It's rude and kinda mean! I mean, have you ever heard of Jewish missionaries? Can you remember the last time a Hare Krishna knocked on your door? Has a Buddhist ever asked you if you've been "saved"?

Yes, there are religious fanatics of every creed. But these other fanatics aren't trying to get people to join their team--most of them just want to be left alone to worship as they please.

A Rope Leash has a point. A lot of Christians--sometimes unknowingly--believe that people of other religions have something wrong with them, and that their values are unacceptable. That has nothing to do with you, Lipstick, unless you're a bigot. I'm not slamming you, darling--it's just an example.

A person's faith is a very personal thing. Sometimes, like one's sexlife, it's better just to leave it out of conversation.
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

SoLikeCandy wrote:Can you remember the last time a Hare Krishna knocked on your door?
No, but I remember about eight million times when a Hare Krishna has stopped me on the street and tried to discuss my spirituality with me. The only way to escape is to run away or buy one of their books. Poorly chosen example, Candy.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I did a little checking, and Rush Limbaugh is, in fact, Jewish. Reform. He recently travelled to Israel with his rabbi and briefly spoke about it on his show.

This is only offered to clear up the "like many Christians" bit including Limbaugh. He may or may not be like many Christians, but he is not one himself.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

yeah, Miss BA. My bad. I've also never ridden an airplane, and I forgot about the annoyance they cause there. Bad example.
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Whether or not Rush Limbaugh is Christian or Jewish makes no difference. The bottom line is that he is extremely ignorant in his opinions and refuses to except anyone else's opinions.

If he is indeed Jewish, he is extreeeeeeeeeeemely reform. I was reading that when he mentioned on-air that he was Jewish, many of his fans were shocked. SHOCKED! Does it really matter so much? His real name is Rush Hudson Limbaugh III. That right there is a giveaway. Jewish children are not named after their father's, so it's clear that he was raised with more of a right-wing agenda.

Pat Buchanan (who has been heavily criticized for anti-semitism) asked Rush to be his running mate in the 1992 election. I think that says a lot about how Limbaugh's religion has very little to do with his idiocy.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I wasn't trying to make any point about Rush Limbaugh's Judaism. The statement was made that Rush, like a lot of Christians, did so and so...

My point is that the statement implied that Rush acted the way he did because of his Christianity, which makes him like many other Christians a rope leash knows and dislikes (from personal experience and not a shred of knee-jerk prejudice). Whether Rush is like these unChristian Christians I do not know, as I have not met each and every one of the ones a rope leash has met, nor gotten to know them personally as he has, coming to the conclusions he has come to, scientifically and objectively. I'm only saying that if Rush does share these attributes, it's got nothing to do with his Christianity, since he doesn't have any Christianity. Nor am I suggesting that it comes from his Jewishness, since many Jews think Rush is an asshole. I'm only suggesting that Rush's je ne sais quoi must come from somewhere besides his faith in Yahweh. Unlike the many Christians a rope leash has encountered, all of whom are assholes precisely because of their ignorant reliance on faith in god.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Well put, noise.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.