Top 5 English and Irish Beers - Top 5 Mexican Beers

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Boy With A Problem

Top 5 English and Irish Beers - Top 5 Mexican Beers

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I'm from the U.S. - but I contend the best beer in the world comes from England and Ireland. Here's my top 10, I'm sure that there are better ones - but this is a list of 5 really good and different (from each other).

1. Guiness Stout (The King)
2. Fullers IPA (Best IPA I've ever had - 1/2 the bottles foam over though)
3. Newcastle Brown Ale (More places have this on tap here than ever before)
4. Boddingtons (creamy and full without being overly heavy)
5. Harp Lager (They go down so easy in the hot weather)

And let's not forget the Mexicans

1. Dos Equis - Amber (better than the German beers it's modeled on)
2. Negro Modello (dark without being heavy - cool bottles)
3. Corona (the old stand-by - with lime)
4. Tecate (the only beer that tastes best from a can - this one with lime too)
5. Dos Equis - Lager (these go down easy too)
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

1. Old Speckled Hen
2. Harp
3. Murphy's (a dark beer from Ireland)
4. Caledonian 80 Schilling Ale (ditto, but from Scotland)
5. Guiness Stout (but only in Ireland... it just doesn't taste the same elsewhere)

Top 5 Canadian beers (gotta show my national pride... while European beers are my favourite, Canadian beer blows any other beer in North America away)

1. Sleeman honey brown (a smooth, nutty flavour)
2. Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale (yum)
3. Rickard's Red (an interesting red tinge.. also slightly nutty, in need of a better word)
4. Creemore (one of the creamier beers, which is funny, because Creemore is actually just the name of the place where it's made, I think)
5. Moosehead (one of our lighter beers, though not 'light' in the way that Coors Light is light)
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Chair -

I'm not familiar with any of those Canadian brews, aside from Moosehead. Are they exported? The problem with your green bottled beers is that they have a high incidence of skunkiness. Moosehead being a prime culprit. Back in the day it was big deal to go across the border and bring back the Molson Brador or a style of O'Keefe (can't remember the name)- that had a higher percentage of alcohol. A noble quest indeed.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I've seen very few Canadian beers in the US, unfortunately. The only ones you tend to see are the bad ones like Labatt Blue.

Of all the beers I've mentioned, only one or two come in green bottles. Rickard's Red comes in a brown bottle, and sleeman comes in a clear bottle. I'm not sure what you mean by skunkiness though... I usually buy them and pop them in the french and they tend to be alright. And of course, having them on draught is the way to go, though obviously that only works if you're at a bar :D
Ha' Penny Millionaire

Post by Ha' Penny Millionaire »

One need venture no further than Guinness Extra Stout.
It's a living, this is the life.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Re: Top 5 English and Irish Beers - Top 5 Mexican Beers

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Boy With A Problem wrote: 3. Newcastle Brown Ale (More places have this on tap here than ever before)
There is an etiquette involved in drinking 'broon' - it must be cold, from the bottle (on tap? sacriledge!), and sipped from a half pint glass.

Also, the barman may open the bottle, but he mustn't pour it for you.

I don't know of any pub in Newcastle (or even England) that serves broon 'on tap'.

Whey ya bugga man!
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Blue Chair,

National Pride is a fine thing. But you've just dismissed every Mexican and US beer as being inferior to all Canadian beers. That's a bold and woefully incorrect statement. While I'll grant you that Moosehead is beeter than Coors (then again, so is piss), I must speak up for the great beers of the southern countries of North America.

Dos Equis is a far superior beer to most of the Canadian beers on your list. I haven't tried Rickard's Red or Creemore. And on a hot day in Texas, just about nothing goes down better than a can of Tecate with lime.

Fat Tire is one of the tasiest beers I've ever had in my mouth. Also very worthy: Rogue, Abita Turbo Dog, Yueng Ling (brewed in Philly, and one of the nation's oldest brews). Lest I forget, Shiner Bock, brewed right here in Texas, gives most beers a run for their money.

There's tons of wonderful beer brewed in the US and Mexico. Coors and Miller aren't responsible for them, but they're there.
Last edited by noiseradio on Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

BlueChair wrote:1. Old Speckled Hen
2. Harp
3. Murphy's (a dark beer from Ireland)
4. Caledonian 80 Schilling Ale (ditto, but from Scotland)
5. Guiness Stout (but only in Ireland... it just doesn't taste the same elsewhere)
yay! someone who appreciates Murphy's!!!

i know, i could be starting a war here, but it's my *personal preference* - I much prefer Murphy's to Guiness. Then again, i am drinking it in the States. When i'm in the UK (haven't been to Ireland yet) I drink whatever is on tap that i haven't had before, as long as it's not IPA. sorry. just don't like all that hops.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout
Celebrator (my first fav beer)
Liebotsschaumer (sp?) Cream Ale (poured at the taverns of Colonial Williamsburg)
Murphy's (already mentioned)
the Russian Imperial Stout poured at this brewpub in downtown boston that has since closed. the finest beer i had EVER had.

i usually buy beer by the light test - if i can see light thru the bottle, back on the shelf it goes. :)
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I didn't mean to offend about my comment comparing Canadian beer to American and Mexican. I do enjoy Dos Equis, and Corona. But frankly, I've yet to taste an American beer that I think compares with any Canadian brews. Obviously, they're out there, they're just not readily available for me here unfortunately. I guess I've had too many experiences in the U.S. where I open the fridge to find Rolling Rock and Budweiser.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

rolling rock or bud have NO place in my fridge.

come on down! i'll stock the fridge w/ the brew.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Sounds good Poppet, I haven't been to Boston since I was 10 and have been meaning to head back at some point :D
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Blue Chair...Molsen is a good Candian beer that is popular in the U.S. It's actually better than Moosehead.

Don't you guys like Mickey's Big Mouth, or Sam Adams?

By the way, Coors is a great beer!!!!!!! Any beer that allows you to keep drinking all night without passing out is dandy.

I actually think that Beligan beers are becoming all the rage here....although Tuborg and Carlsberg are still numero uno in a big way.
perfectblue

Post by perfectblue »

Yeah, Noise... represent!

I love Fat Tire. These too:

Deschutes - Black Butte Porter
Hair of the Dog - Adam, Fred
Rogue - Shakespeare Stout, Dead Guy
Sierra Nevada - Bigfoot
Full Sail - Full Sail Amber

Call me, err, regionally challenged...
let me fall out of the window with confetti in my hair