New Costello/Lucinda Williams song on tv soundtrack, May '10

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

New Costello/Lucinda Williams song on tv soundtrack, May '10

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.nola.com/jazzfest/index.ssf/ ... _foun.html

(extract)

"True Blood's"
Calamar faces a different challenge, fitting pre-recorded songs and newly scored music to the doings of the hot-blooded denizens of the fictional Louisiana town of Bon Temps.

He does it, in part, by linking music genres to different characters.

"It's based on the character, but also the time and space they're living in, " Calamar said. "Jason Stackhouse has more of a bad-ass rock or country-rock kind of thing, where Sookie might be more of a Southern female singer-songwriter kind of sound. Lafayette has his sort of wild, gay Lafayette music. Depending on the scene, that's definitely a factor. In Lafayette's house or Jason's house, we want to put music that sort of helps inform their character."

Calamar, author of the new book "Record Store Days" -- a celebration of indie music retailers -- said the success of "True Blood" has begun to attract to the series original song contributions from established artists.

For the upcoming season, Elvis Costello and Lucinda Williams have collaborated on a song. There also will be new tunes from Beck and Robbie Robertson.

http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/ ... 5678947810&

True Blood: Music From the HBO Original Series, Vol. 2

Release Date: 05/25/2010

About This Item

Elektra Records and HBO have joined forces once again for True Blood: Music From The HBO Original Series, Volume 2. The album follows last year's Grammy Award nominated True Blood: Music From The HBO Original Series, which featured tracks from the acclaimed drama's first season, including the sultry theme song "Bad Things," performed by Jace Everett. Volume Two follows suit with an all-star track list including Bob Dylan, Beck, Lucinda Williams with Elvis Costello, and more. From the Label

http://74.125.77.132/search?q=cache:Teq ... no|lang_en

1 Howlin' For My Baby / M. Ward
2 Evil [Is Going On] / Jace Everett & CC Adcock
3 Bad Blood / Beck
4 How To Become Clairvoyant / Robbie Robertson
5 Shake And Fingerpop / Jr. Walker and The All Stars
6 Frenzy / Screamin' Jay Hawkins
7 Kiss Like Your Kiss / Lucinda Williams with Elvis Costello
8 Gasoline And Matches / Buddy & Julie Miller
9 You Did [Bomp Shooby Dooby Bomp] / Chuck Prophet
10 You're Gonna Miss Me / The 13th Floor Elevators
11 Fresh Blood / Eels
12 The Forgotten People / Thievery Corporation
13 New World In My View / King Britt & Sister Gertrude Morgan
14 Beyond Here Lies Nothin' / Bob Dylan
johnfoyle

Re: New Costello/Lucinda Williams song on tv soundtrack, May

Post by johnfoyle »

CraigatCoF

Post by CraigatCoF »

Another article about this - http://consequenceofsound.net/2010/05/1 ... ward-beck/

"The Beck track (“Bad Blood”) sounds like a perfect fit for the album, while the Williams and Costello duet (“Kiss Like Your Kiss”) will probably mirror some of that dark, bluesy sexual tension that seeps forth from the show. Meanwhile, Robertson’s “How to Become Clairvoyant” has us giddy with joy as to what the legend will pull out with such source material. But arguably the most impressive song is M. Ward’s cover of Howlin’ Wolf’s “Howlin’ for My Baby”. If that isn’t amazing, you can exsanguinate us."
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://blogs.kcrw.com/musicnews/2010/05 ... on-monday/

MBE Premieres Exclusive Tracks from New “True Blood” Soundtrack on Monday

KCRW DJ Gary Calamar
is the supervisor for HBO’s hit series “True Blood” and the producer for the show’s soundtrack releases. He will drop by Morning Becomes Eclectic on Monday, May 17at 10:20 am to premiere songs from their new soundtrack, including a track by Beck recorded specifically for the show.

Exclusive material on “True Blood: Music From the HBO Original Series Volume II” also includes a new duet between Lucinda Williams and Elvis Costello called “Kiss Like Your Kiss,” an M Ward cover of Howlin’ Wolf’s “Howlin for My Baby” and new work from Robbie Robertson off his upcoming studio album, his first in 11 years
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Elvis writes about this collaboration: http://www.elviscostello.com/#/news/tru ... ay-25th/40

"True Blood Volume 2" is released on May 25th

The album contains a newly recorded Lucinda Williams song, "Kiss Like Your Kiss" which features a harmony vocal from Elvis Costello.

Speaking to minister of information, The Right Reverend Jimmy Quickly, Costello said:

"This is one of the best vocal performances of Lucinda's recording career. I just tried to stay out of the way and add a little harmony where absolutely needed. It didn't need a thing more. The show may make you want to bite someone on the neck but this song is going to make you wish you were loved or in love with someone enough so you could sing it to them."
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20386422,00.html

Leah Greenblatt
May 19, 2010

(extract)

True Blood Volume 2 manages to both evoke its source — that supernatural 
Louisiana swamp of longing, bloodlust, and just...lust — and work apart from it, too. Lucinda Williams and Elvis 
 Costello pine gorgeously in tandem (aching original ''Kiss Like Your Kiss''), their voices twining in richly patina'd harmony.
blureu

Post by blureu »

wordnat

Post by wordnat »

"Car Wheels on a Gravel Road" is one of my favorite albums ever, but I haven't been able to stomach a thing LW's done since -- this song included. Blah....
EarlManchester

Post by EarlManchester »

1 Howlin' For My Baby / M. Ward
2 Evil [Is Going On] / Jace Everett & CC Adcock
3 Bad Blood / Beck
4 How To Become Clairvoyant / Robbie Robertson
5 Shake And Fingerpop / Jr. Walker and The All Stars
6 Frenzy / Screamin' Jay Hawkins
7 Kiss Like Your Kiss / Lucinda Williams with Elvis Costello
8 Gasoline And Matches / Buddy & Julie Miller
9 You Did [Bomp Shooby Dooby Bomp] / Chuck Prophet
10 You're Gonna Miss Me / The 13th Floor Elevators
11 Fresh Blood / Eels
12 The Forgotten People / Thievery Corporation
13 New World In My View / King Britt & Sister Gertrude Morgan
14 Beyond Here Lies Nothin' / Bob Dylan
itunes lists a Deluxe Version with four bonus tracks:

15 Bad Things (Acoustic) / Jace Everett
16 Ain't No Invisible Man / Jakob Dylan
17 You Can't Drive Me Away / Stone Temple Pilots
18 Explicit Headbone (feat. Bubba Kendall) / HeadBone
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/;kw=[36885,157747]

Elvis Costello, Lucinda Williams and Beck Bring New Music to 'True Blood'

Costello and Williams talk collaborating for soundtrack to hit HBO show.

By Jennifer Vineyard

May 25, 2010 4:41 PM EDT

"Who isn't a fan of nakedness and vampirism?" Elvis Costello jokes when asked to sum up the appeal of True Blood. Hopefully, more rock fans will soon be too. For the third season of HBO's hit drama, the show's producers have lined up an impressive roster of artists to contribute to an eclectic soundtrack. Beck, Robbie Robertson, Eels, M. Ward and Bob Dylan are among the fourteen artists who are contributing old and new material; Costello, meanwhile, has re-teamed with Lucinda Williams (whom he collaborated with on her 2008 album Little Honey) for the new track "Kiss Like Your Kiss." "It’s a love song, but it has an atmospheric, moody quality to it," says Williams of the tune.

While most soundtracks typically feature previously released material, producers have been ratcheting up their ambitions for soundtracks to movies like the Twilight series, corralling top artists to contribute unreleased material. The upcoming Twilight soundtrack, for instance, features new songs from Muse, the Dead Weather and the Black Keys. (Beck also appears with "Let's Get Lost," a collaboration with Bat for Lashes' Natasha Khan.) The same ambitions went into the making of the True Blood soundtrack. When Williams was approached to contribute, she turned in a rough acoustic demo of the song to show's music supervisor Gary Calamar. Calamar worked closely with Williams to shape the song and suggested she collaborate again with Costello as well the show's in-house composer Nathan Barr, who added cello melodies. Barr believes the final version fits in well with the dark mood of the show. "Cello is central to the scores that I write,” he says. “If there’s not some cello or heavy guitar, it won’t sound like True Blood.”

True Blood hasn't yet wrapped filming the entire third season, so it's not clear what scene will feature Williams and Costello's song. But Williams hopes it will be featured in a racier scene to match the tune's sultry vibe. “I want it to be a totally hot, steamy, lustful scene between [the show's main characters] Sookie and Bill," she says. "That would be perfect — Bill comes back, and they have torrid sex. Yes!”

Since wrapping up her contribution to the soundtrack, Williams is hard at work writing and recording her next album, which is slated for fall release. She says the as-yet-untitled disc will include tracks like "Copenhagen" (about her late-manager Frank Callari's heart attack) and "Seeing Black," a tribute to the late singer-songwriter Vic Chesnutt. But she finds that she's often distracted by her love of True Blood. I’m really into it,” she says. “I got to find out what happens next!”
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

"Kiss Like Your Kiss" will also be on Lucinda's upcoming album, but it's not clear whether it's the same version with Elvis.

http://www.wearsthetrousers.com/2010/08 ... tracklist/
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

John H. posts to listserv-

"Kiss Like Your Kiss" was featured on last Sunday's episode of "True Blood". About 40-45 minutes in, during a scene with Jason and Crystal.

Only about two minutes of the song is played, but long enough to hear one or two of Elvis' lines.

http://www.hbo.com/true-blood/index.html

http://www.hbo.com/true-blood/index.htm ... music.html

Jason and Crystal have a heart to heart after becoming intimate.