Elvis & The Sugarcanes, Liverpool (UK), June 28, 2010

Pretty self-explanatory
Jeremy Dylan

Re: Elvis & The Sugarcanes, Liverpool (UK), June 28, 2010

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Mikeh wrote:Jeremy, where did you and members of the Sugarcanes go sightseeing in Liverpool?
We pretty much started from the hotel and wandered around towards the water, just taking in the architecture and atmosphere, then on to the Beatles museum. I expect the guys went on after that, but I had to get on a train back to Heathrow.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://musicblog.merseyblogs.co.uk/2010 ... cking.html

Elvis Costello's guitar: picking out a raffle winner with eyes firmly closed...

By Jade Wright on Aug 9, 10 10:22 PM

Here's what happened when I went to draw the winning ticket at the raffle for Elvis Costello's guitar, with thanks to Arthur Diamond for pictures...

At an informal ceremony held at the Picket Music Venue in Liverpool presided over by Philip Hayes the Venue's Director, Jade Wright Music Editor at the Liverpool Echo (that's me) picked out the winning ticket in the raffle for Elvis Costello's guitar.

With my eyes firmly closed I selected the ticket belonging to Teresa Hardy, aged 16, from Calderstones School-formerly Quarry Bank- in Liverpool.

Philip immediately phoned her home number only to discover that she is on holiday, (and appropriately is learning to play the guitar)!!

Teresa will receive a Gibson DSM guitar, handmade in Canada that comes complete with a hard case and a personal note from Mr. Costello, which reads,

"Here's a Gibson guitar of mine. I hope you find a couple of tunes in it...and if you do...give 'em back, Regards Elvis Costello".

Since visiting the music venue and its Pinball Studios in the 1980's Elvis has been a passionate supporter of its work; "It's a place I feel very strongly about. It's somewhere in Liverpool that allows people to play music at a community level, and for that it needs the city's support".

In 2007 he appeared at the venue in a fundraising concert with the legendary American musician Allen Toussaint and a 12- piece band flown in from New Orleans.
He donated the Gibson acoustic to help the Picket raise funds for the work it does with young bands. The raffle raised over £4,000.

Philip Hayes said, "Elvis's kindness has been inspirational. The money raised will help us to continue to support the next generation of musicians from Liverpool. I'm so pleased the guitar has gone to a young person, they are at the centre of our work. I hope it inspires Teresa to continue to play the guitar and who knows maybe she could one day end up writing songs as good as Elvis's 'Alison', 'Watching the Detectives' or 'Shipbuilding".
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Love the note.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Hate the fact that a 16 year old girl won it - :roll: - only joking, hope it inspires her immensely.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

johnfoyle wrote: Teresa Hardy, aged 16, from Calderstones School-formerly Quarry Bank- in Liverpool
You would be disappointed if there wasn't a Beatles link, so here it is :

http://www.beatlesfactfiles.utvinternet ... School.htm

Quarry Bank - as was - was the secondary school attended by John Lennon

(and as a minor footnote by both junior Top Balconys)

Colin TB
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Elvis reminises with Mrs Husband:
Music is continuous. Singing “Red Cotton” on the stage of the Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool – a town were much of most shameful action took place – alongside the Sugarcanes first ever rendition of a hopeful song like “Shipbuilding” is something that I will never forget.
...neither will I, time to dig out Sulky's fantastic recording again...

Colin Top Balcony
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

SP
SP thanks a bunch for these - the first one should have a reverse dedication to Mr Jeremy Dylan, without whose note this link would never have been possible.

Colin Top Balcony
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Jerry Douglas has posted a tour diary on his website: http://www.jerrydouglas.com/journalDeta ... journal=69 that includes these thoughts on the Sugarcanes' show in Liverpool.
"June 28 I found a nice little Cuban cigar shop first thing today and collected a few Monte Cristo No.4's - just to pass the time here and there.

We played in Philharmonic Hall here in Liverpool - this is Elvis’s hometown as well as Beatle town. There was a nice homecoming for him; I think the review has been posted in the news section, so you can see we fared well. He and I seemed to be in a string breaking contest; he busted two and I broke five. All third strings, illustrating an obviously bad run of .029's. I contacted D'Addario and new strings showed up the next day. Wonderful service! We have some testing to do when I get back home.

June 29 Anyway, while in Liverpool I did take a taxi ride past some houses which are said to be where the young Beatles lived, then went down to the river and took the Ferry Cross the Mersey, just like the song [Gerry and the Pacemakers, also being Mersey boys who were managed by Brian Epstein]. On the ride I kept hearing this guy singing to his little girl; I hope she enjoyed the song. I find that these Grayline Tours are cool in most towns if there is time to spend, and the guides clue travelers in pretty well with information that might be helpful if you want to explore independently in the future. They keep me from chasing my tail into places where I maybe should not go. Liverpool is a lovely place and, as with most old industrial cities, it has been cleaned up from the time when it was a boomtown for shipbuilding."
MOOT