"You Tripped At Every Step"

Pretty self-explanatory
cwr

"You Tripped At Every Step"

Post by cwr »

From a great 1994 article about the Brutal Youth reunion by Musician's Bill Flanagan:
Unlike their rowdy past, the four musicians treated each other with Alphonse & Gaston courtesy. Clearly each was determined not to be the one who started the fight that broke up the group again. They went into the studio, picked up their instruments and began playing a song called “Distorted Angel.” The first run-through felt tentative. Elvis expressed doubts about Steve’s rather baroque piano part, so for the second take Steve moved to organ. They counted off and quickly landed on something close to their beloved Armed Forces style. Elvis busted a string a few bars in but they kept going.

Listening to a playback, Steve sat off in the corner silently, Bruce and Pete were very enthusiastic, and Elvis had doubts. He said he wondered if in going for a great sound they’d lost the song. Bruce dug a cassette demo of the tune out of his bag and they all expressed amazement at how much slower it was than what they’d been playing. The lyric (about the shame of a little boy who gets caught playing doctor with a little girl) had gone from a poignant lament to a mad jumble.

The producer conceded that the sense of the song had been lost, but that sound was so great... Elvis wondered if there wasn't a way to have both. Looking for that compromise they tried cutting a version with Elvis playing the first verse accompanied only by his acoustic guitar—to establish the story—and the Attractions crashing in on the second. They next tried that same approach with Pete drumming a sort of Egyptian pattern behind the acoustic verse. That went nowhere. Elvis asked Bruce to calm his hyper bass part; Bruce did but on each subsequent take it regained a bit of frenzy. The Attractions kept trying to bust out and Elvis kept trying to hold them down. Finally Pete said loudly, “I thought we were making a rock record!”

Elvis said, “It can rock without losing the meaning of the song.”

Then the courtesies kicked in again — Elvis asked Steve if he was sick of playing the tune, Steve said not at all. Another take and then Elvis asked Pete if he wanted to go on to another number. Pete said no, no,it’s fine. Finally they finished a take that everyone pretended to like and pronounced the day’s work done. The pressure off, they started playing a tricky song called “You Tripped at Every Step,” nailing it perfectly on the first take. From there on, the recording sailed along. “Distorted Angel” was sacrificed for the sake of getting the band past its opening jitters and into their rock ‘n’ roll shoes.

Looking at that first day of recording now, Costello says, “We played like idiots ‘cause everyone was so anxious to get it right. We were trying really hard and everybody was really, really positive and trying to keep on a really up note, but the truth is we were playing really badly because we were playing too hard. When we do that the sound just closes down. We’re aware of it; the harder you hit the drum the smaller it actually sounds, and the bass gets very pointy and you hit the guitar so hard it becomes just distorted white noise—you can’t hear any tone. It was just that everybody was excited.”

Pete Thomas says that the fact that the band nailed “You Tripped at Every Step” on the first take was crucial to morale. “Mitchell just came on the talkback and said, ‘That’s it,” Pete recalls. “When we all stood there listening to it, it couldn’t have been more perfect. It was a real lift for everyone. I think everyone’s little problems fell away and there were four very thrilled chaps looking at each other. That doesn’t happen very often.”
I quote the above because I am simply amazed when I listen to "You Tripped At Every Step." It actually strikes me as a rather unusual Attractions performance-- I can't really think of another song they've done that's quite like it-- which makes it all the more amazing that they got it so perfectly on the first attempt! It might well be that this is the single best recording the full Attractions did during their brief 90s reunion-- powerful yet restrained, and full of wit. Bruce, Pete, and Steve are all just so amazing, if you listen to this on headphones you can really hear the way they are all at the top of their game. (Then, of course, there are EC's amazing multi-tracked vocals, a technique that he mostly abandoned after this record, though it was a staple of nearly every record before this. I wish he'd start doing this again, but now that he seems to regard studio recording as something to be done "live" and as quickly as possible, he seems to have lost interest in crafting his own harmonies, preferring the capable work of Davey or Jim Lauderdale. They're great, but somehow there's something magical about the way EC sounds when he sings along with himself. Those early records get a lot of their vocal oomph from the sheer number of Elvises you hear singing...)

Does anyone else love this song as much as I do? I always felt that it could've been a hit follow-up single in the UK if they'd filmed a decent video for it.
Riddler

Re: "You Tripped At Every Step"

Post by Riddler »

I couldn't agree more with your comments. I love the song and the performance. I would put it in my top 3 of any EC stuff (with any combo/configuration). I think it is sad that EC left this approach (ie with the A's, giving them room to breathe etc) behind. I feel for BT who you can't help feeling sits alone in the English countryside stewing over the slights he received - and of course gave. When EC talks about the "hardening" of the sound in the recent Newshour interview you sense a defensiveness and also - IMO - the tinge of regret that a middle aged person has for the decisions their younger/crazier self made that become irreversible. The BY record showed that the aging EC & A's still had huge room to grow IF EC had given them the chance. Compare SN's work on that with everything else since to get my drift.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I've posted before that this is probably my favorite EC song. I love the tune, the lyrics, and the performance.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Agreed, this is a great song - another one where you can't get over how good he is with a melody. Great lyrics too - 'put down that frying pan'! I wonder how autobiographical it was about his marriage to Cait?

My only cavil with it is that Steve's piano is too far back in the mix - as it is generally on Brutal Youth.
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Interesting post. I disagree a bit about EC's multi-tracking himself. He did that for years and it's enough. I for one really enjoy when another voice closely harmonizes with EC's; his voice is so distinctive (and at times harsh) that the contrast becomes absolute ear-candy. But as for the larger point about this song, yeah, it's a neat number. I might have varispeeded it up a notch to give it slightly more kick and I do think there's something slightly wrong about the mix, a sentiment I often have on EC records, but there's no question that the *sound* of that track is highly unusual for that band.

And, oh yes - can I just point out the elephant in the room? Despite EC's propaganda - or else his respectful nod toward the importance of BT's controbution - the Imposters ARE the Attractions, minus one admittedly all-time-great bass player. (God, his playing is amazing, just amazing...). I just can't see EC wistfully staring into the sunset wondering 'what we might have become had we stayed together.' All but the bass player HAVE stayed together. Nor can I accept that SN's playing, or anyone else's, has been retarded in its development because BT left. Maybe I'm just ignorant of the magical chemistries of musicians, but with respect, the whole narrative that there has been some small,tragic loss because BT left strikes me as overblown. What has been lost are ridiculously amazing bass-lines on EC records. Gained are good backing vocals and, apparently, the capacity to continue to work together of the remaining three. I doubt that there is any further impoverishment in musical terms.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
taramasalata

Post by taramasalata »

Congratulations cwr and all of you who have responded to the praise of this most wonderful song in the all wonderful record BY ! A song can't be more perfect in melody, sound and words, the Beatles would have envied him for this one. The more delighted I am by your words because this song (and the whole record) haven't received the worship they would have deserved from their very release. So there really seems to be something odd with Elvis and his reception, not talking of the masses but of the ones who really dig him AND SHOULD KNOW.
So better listen to his every new ones careful enough before judging...!
About the multi-tracking of his voice I am a bit mixed. On the one hand I like it a lot cause it's the very classic EC POP sound, on the other one has to admit that it might sound a bit out of place on his American recordings that the started with PFM...and I can't imagine him to ever sound again like on BY, and as much as I love this record and the POP EC, I do not less enjoy what he has been doing since then.