Brutal Youth Retrospective

Pretty self-explanatory
nerosneptune

Brutal Youth Retrospective

Post by nerosneptune »

hey everyone, the website I write/edit for (spectrumculture.com) is currently running a retrospective on Brutal Youth.

I'm hoping it will be of interest and spark some debate on this forum, so I'm adding the link here.

http://spectrumculture.com/2009/02/revi ... youth.html
JEM

Re: Brutal Youth Retrospective

Post by JEM »

Obviously, everyone's entitled to their opinions - and I couldn't disagree more with you about Clown Strike and My Science Fiction Twin. They are easily two of my faves on the album. I do (kind of) agree about Still Too Soon to Know - not one of my faves.

Also - technically - it wasn't billed as an Attractions album (not mentioned on the cover at all). But yes - I believe the record company pushed that issue in press.

I think that since it's billed as a "retrospective" and not just a "review", it could have benefited from some personal historical perspective. What did these songs mean to you then and have your impressions of them changed since?

Other than that - not a bad little piece. Certainly better than I could have written.
cwr

Post by cwr »

I love Brutal Youth. And while "Still Too Soon To Know" is probably the song I'm most likely to skip, it's not a BAD song, just a moment's rest in the middle of the album. And "Clown Strike" is a weird gem, with terrific backing vocals by EC (his tribute to Van Morrison) that was even better in concert, where he performed one of his bizarre monologues in the middle section...

As much as I'd roll my eyes when people would criticize BY by saying "It's no This Year's Model", I have to say that the worst thing I could say about last year's Momofuku was that it wasn't Brutal Youth. It was a fun album, but the thrill had a shorter half-life than BY, which I played for months on end. Now, this may not be the record's fault. In fact, it probably has as much to do with me, as well as the times in which we live. BY came out smack in the middle of the CD era, and I was in college then, more likely to play the same disc over and over again. Momofuku came out in the iPod age, I'm a lot older now, and only half of the songs on the album made it into the "My Favorites" playlist that I tend to listen to in "Shuffle Mode" on the train to work. So if I have more fondness for "You Tripped At Every Step" than I do for "Harry Worth", it likely has more to do with all of those circumstantial factors than with the quality of the music itself.

Perhaps Costello was right when he estimated that mp3 had "broken" the contract between the artist and the listener that had existed before. Although it's not just that-- I doubt that I would have liked a song like "My Three Sons" any better in 1994 than I do today-- it's perfectly fine, I just don't care to hear it that many times.

Brutal Youth was the first EC record to be released AFTER I became a Costello fan, so it holds a special place in my heart. I'd love for him to come out with a record now that meant as much to me, but that's a big hill to climb. I think he could do it-- but it would have to be one hell of a record. And it would probably have to have some killer self-harmonies...
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

CWR, that was a very resonant post for me. I have almost the same experience (except BY was the 3rd or 4th album after I became a fan). Still, that change in the 'biz' has definitely impacted the way I listen to music. I usually listen to a new favorite in its entirety in my car but as little bits and pieces and shuffle mode in all other situations.

By the way, 'You Tripped at Every Step' is my personal all time favorite EC song. I love BY for its complicated melodies and fantastic lyrics. I mean, 'This is Hell', 'London's Brilliant Parade', 'All the Rage', 'Favorite Hour'......amazing.
taramasalata

Post by taramasalata »

Hi cwr
I enjoyed reading your praise of BY and I totally agree! It's a marvellous record, with a range as wide as our man can do it, and still all very heartfelt and coherent as an album. And I totally agree with you rolling your eyes at those never ending reactionary ones never ceasing in hailing to the first 3 records, ignoring the importance of one's biographical bias (over all the one about one's youth) and also ignoring the fact, that Elvis had some even better albums later on.
I love "My science fiction twin", "Just about glad", "Kinder murder", "All the rage" and and and.
And maybe you're also right with comparing it to the excellent Momofuku and the reasons why it might not have the emotional impact on us as BY had.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Brutal Youth kind of woke me back up with Elvis. I had a hard time getting into MLAR or Spike, both of which I bought on vinyl; BY was my first EC cd purchase. I also made sure I caught them on this tour, and they put on a fantastic show - opening up with No Action I believe. The show was in the summer and it was hot and Elvis was wearing a suit and was a little overweight and I felt uncomfortable for him - he didn't even loosen his tie. (of course my BY tour shirt fits kind of tightly now too).

This is one of those albums that I think I probably like more now than I did at the time - and he played a bunch of these songs I seem to recall on the WIWC tour and they stand up against any in the catalog - Just About Glad being my favorite.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
cwr

Post by cwr »

Another interesting point of comparison between Momofuku and Brutal Youth: my least favorite track on the more recent album is "My Three Sons", which is one of the most openly, unashamedly personal songs EC has ever released. Like "45", it is a song that actually goes into some detail that is specific to EC's own life.

Songs like these two (and quite a bit of North) are so far from what the early Costello did in his songwriting-- those first albums are so mixed up and written in a kind of drunken "code" because he was deliberately trying to disguise any overtly personal details, changing pronouns all over the place to the point where many of the songs are almost impossible to figure out, at least in any 'definitive' way.

With Brutal Youth, we find him at a halfway point, particularly in the final suite of songs, from "London's Brilliant Parade" to "Favourite Hour." These songs all play as very personal, with EC almost looking back at "what might have been", but they sort of reach a compromise between the obfuscation of the early days and the specific detail of "45" and "My Three Sons." It's hard to imagine anyone else singing those two songs-- the lyrics seem to be so specifically written from EC's point-of-view-- but another singer could easily give their own personal interpretation of "London's Brilliant Parade" or "All The Rage."

I may be off base here, but that's how I hear it. That batch of songs (particularly "Rocking Horse Road") is one of my very favorite things about BY.
reviR

Post by reviR »

BY is one of EC's greatest albums. I can listen to it for ages!! One thing though has always bugged me is a line in "This Is Hell" . When I listen to this song I always ask myself if the lines:-

"My Favourite Things" are playing again and again

But it's by Julie Andrews and not by John Coltrane

is EC view of Steve Nieve's additions to Clown Strike and on occasions other songs of My Favourite Things from Sound Of Music. I am not really sure when he started adding this to live performances!!!

It may have been a topic here before but any answers.............???????
taramasalata

Post by taramasalata »

Hi cwr
I can see the parallel you draw between "Still too soon to know" and "My three sons" (though I find the latter one very enjoyable for its simplicity and honesty), but I can't place "45" in the same line, for it is way too playful and associative with its playing with the number and all its references.
But you may be right with your point, that EC is very unique with writing wonderful disguised codes and at the same time is a bit disappointing when he tries to put it plain and unmistakably, like in songs as "Still too soon..." or the bit odd "Broken" from MLAR or lots of North (definitely the only EC record I could live without). So he seems to be the master of writing "the words that we don't say" (because they scare him so....argh!).
Writing this I have to think of songs like "Pump it up" or "I want you", which are also lyrically very frank and plain but fantastic with it, so it rather might not be beeing plain than the emotions the songs deal with...he's just best with anger and fury, trying to keep off the anxiety of staying lonely and misunderstood.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Have to say I disagree about 'Still Too Soon To Know'. I like its directness, and I think part of the reason Elvis has had so few covers is that he is quite hard for a lot of singers to sing cos of the amount of words he crams in.

The lines are simple, yes, but blatant, no. The picture it paints of a man still reeling from the recent discovery of his lover's infidelity is heartbreaking. The last verse, where the guy wishes he could go back a few days to before he knew, is incredibly moving:

When I think back a couple of days
If I wasn't happy then, I never will be
I wonder was this ignorance or bliss?
It's still too soon to know

The play on the commonplace phrase 'ignorance is bliss' is v moving. It was ignorance, but it was blissful not to know. It'd be a great character song in a musical, I think.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Neil; you've said it better and quicker than I could.
I agree completely.
Brutal Youth is one of EC's best albums ever in my opinion and Still Too Soon To Know one of many greats.
20% Amnesia is the only track I don't really care for.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I even like 20% Amnesia! The middle eight is (as I believe young people put it) 'awesome' - The xylophone comical bit with 'the wine you drink has never seen a graaape'

London's Brill Parade is one of Elvis's most gorgeous melodies - the whole album (as I believe young people put it) 'rocks'.

Actually, the only one I'm not crackers about is Sulky Girl. Some great lyrics in there, but not bonkers about the melody. Great opening line - also later, one of his corking double-meanings (one which works rather than being corny) "With the evidence of passing out stamped on her hand..."