Elvis/Police, The Woodlands, TX, 20 May '08

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone here going?

Local 'paper preview -

http://www.woodlandsonline.com/evps/evi ... evid=16992
guidedbyvoices

Re: Elvis/Police, The Woodlands, TX, 20 May '08

Post by guidedbyvoices »

I love Elvis, havent missed a show of his in town since the mid 90s, but I'm not paying that money to watch Der Shtingle play for the merlot crowd.
we have powerlines in our bloodlines
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

legman open to offers

Post by legman open to offers »

Need a review on this. Setlist anyone?
Now I'm the invisible man, and you can't see me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Nothing about the show but interesting all the same -

http://mcclint.blogspot.com/2008/05/elvis-sighting.html

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Elvis sighting

Originally uploaded by mcclint

Let my wife's words speak about this encounter:
OMG,
The show was FAN-FREAKIN-TASTIC last night!!!!!!!!

Well, on the way from the parking garage we walked by the tour buses.
Being the retard I am I made Clint take a picture of me in front of the bus (to capture my homemade Elvis Costello t-shirt and rock star pony tails all spiky- which by the way are NOT adequately captured in this picture)

As soon as the picture was snapped
ELVIS COSTELLO GOT OFF THE BUS AND I WAS FACE TO FACE WITH HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was stunned.
Shocked.
Awed.
I stood mouth agape, and all I could think of to say to this master of lyrics and music was “you already know how awesome you are”.
Luckily Clint’s quick thinking saved the moment FOREVER by capturing a Kodak (actually Fuji- but Kodak works better in this context) moment by telling me to get a picture.

So I asked (and this is the best part because it reflects even more of my overwhelmed lack of words) “may I take a photograph with you” and he smiled cordially and said yes.
At that point all I could do is fan my hands in front of my face like a feklempt jewess and said “oh my God, oh my God, I got a picture, I am so excited! I think I peed a little!!!!!” He chuckled and made his way into the Theatre.

Then Clint reminded me that I just told Elvis Costello that “I think I peed a little”. It was obviously just an expression of excitement, but Dude…Could I have not come up with anything more clever that a 12 year old boy’s vocabulary when in the presence of someone with such lyrical and musical talent? No. I had to say “awesome” and “I peed” and “ohmygod ohmygod ohmygod”.

OK Clint, are you happy? I made sure to tell people I told Elvis Costello I peed a little.

That shame will haunt me forever. Sigh.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/200 ... lo_and.php

ImageImageImage

ImageImage
Mark C. Austin

Chris Henderson
writes -

In the Texas heat, Costello took the stage in a suit – this dude’s got class. Other than an opening slot, two factors stopped this from being a hands-down, great Costello show: a meager crowd in front of the stage (the lawn was pretty packed) and the giant venue, which swallowed much of the sound. (Apparently, openers don’t get to use every speaker in the house, only the ones on stage and few on the lawn.) I was sitting a couple rows back, center, and had a hard time hearing Costello and his Imposters. Now, I’m not delusional, I know there is no way Costello could ever sell out the Toyota Center or even come close to selling out the Pavilion, but all I’m saying is it was disappointing to only get eleven songs on low volume – but moving on …

Costello started off with a new number: “Stella Hurt,” the seventh track off his latest release, Momofuku. About half the set was devoted to this release and no one was complaining. Costello still knows how to write riff-heavy, lyrically-clever rock ‘n roll, and considering most people were there for The Police and barely knew anything from him past “Allison,” it was a good chance to test out new material. Vintage hits like “Pump It Up,” “Everyday I Write the Book,” “(I Don’t Want To Go To) Chelsea” and, of course, “Allison” played along perfectly side by side fresh tunes like “Go Away” and “Flutter & Wow.”

Costello was in true form – he’s still a charmer. He flirted with the ladies and coaxed them into cheering for an introduction to “Allison.” And speaking of ladies, many were pleasantly surprised when Sting came out and joined Costello for the tune and took over the second verse.

When introducing another new track, “Flutter & Wow,” Costello informed the crowd that this was the slow-dance portion of the show, but some people on the lawn were in no position to dance. “I see some of you are lying down,” Costello said. “I think some of the best dancin’ is done that way, myself.” Damn, this dude is smooth.

He ended things with (the expected) “What’s So Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding?” and was out of the way in less than an hour. One (and by one I mean me) can only hope this performance was just a teaser for a possible headlining tour later this year.

Personal Bias: I’m a Costello fan. I like The Police, but nothing tops Elvis. Although I thought it was neat to hear Sting sing that second verse, nothing is more heartbreaking than Costello’s bluesy, scratchy vocals pining after the girl that got away.