ELVIS for LEXUS!

Pretty self-explanatory
mac attack

elvis lexus ad-what glasses is he wearing??

Post by mac attack »

does anyone know what kind of glasses he is sporting in the lexus ad?? i fell in love with them and need some new frames!!
AlmostBlue

Post by AlmostBlue »

I think it is alright - he is in good company with John Legend doing the same ad... and Diana Krall also.
The spot is about the sound system. At least it is creative
.. And easy money for the twins.
He did nothing like Paul McCartney, who publically endoresed the company, rode in to the venues in their SUV's, used his music in the spot, and more. And Tom Waits might be happy they used Beethoven instead of an EC tune. (a lot of $$ Tom made from suing advertisers who tried to mimmick him - good for him, and good for him for not selling out with his music)
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Mr. Average wrote:So when Bruce was shilling for Kerry, touring with him and holding free concerts, he was promoting product. Is it okay for an artist to take a political stance and endorse a person (a weak person, with lot's of baggage, although arguably the lesser of two evils), but not okay to endorse a product. I know that you are a big Broooooce fan. Do you look the other way on the political front? Frankly, if I pay to see Elvis play and he shills for any politcal party, I have no use for it. I read about politics when I am not trying to enjoy life through entertainment. Elvis and the like are entertainers. Nothing qualifies them to shill for a particular candidateother then they have two turntables and a microphone.
Well I don't have a compulsive need to rigidly divide things into mutually exclusive groups - ie. it's either 'a political stance' or it's 'entertainment'; you either think it's 'okay' or you 'look the other way'; either someone is 'qualified', or they're not... everything is not always so black and white Mr. Average, the subtleties of each case should be acknowledged. Besides, you don't make a very apt comparison -- Elvis knew he didn't need to do a Lexus ad, Bruce felt it was important and necessary to do what he did. It would have been easy for him not to. Btw, he once turned down around 10 million from Chysler, I think it was, to use one of his songs. Had he ever sold out like that, he wouldn't be able to. The bigshots at Lexus are probably getting a pat on the back...
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

FINALLY....just saw it! recognized the voice while NOT looking at the t.v. odd to hear him like that. yet, not horrible at all. glad he's not talking about rack & pinion steering, anti-lock brakes, 6 air bags!
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

I haven't seen Elvis in a long time, so I love the commercial. Sometimes I understand why people like Rope puke up and go into convulsions when rockstars make money off of things other than records and tours....but he wasn't doing anything in the Lexus commercial that he wasn't doing in the DVD's he's released over the last couple of years...sitting in the back seat of a car, and talking about elitist things....his manic conducting reminded me of the SNL set when he did Watching the Detectives though...he's come full circle.
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.adweek.com/aw/creative/artic ... 1003584568

Barbara Lippert's Critique: Music to See By

May 14, 2007
By Barbara Lippert

(extract)

"The pursuit of perfection" is quite a haughty tagline, and in Lexus's case, it's said with more than a drop of 'tude. But over the years it seems to have worked, even inspiring some near-perfect ad work.

My favorite spot by far features Elvis Costello. He just kills. Maybe it's the marriage and baby, but the former angry man comes off as kindly, wise and animated (I guess his "aim is true"). The artists were asked to pick a song not their own, and to talk about it as they listened to it. He seems to be a natural teacher. His choice of music is the most surprising and his way with words is, well, off-the-charts clever. If nothing else, the spot could win Most Original Opening, 2007. It starts with a blast of the most dramatic part of the Ninth Symphony. "Beethoven,'' Costello says with his inimitable deadpan, "he wrote a few toe tappers." I've learned something already.

"When he wrote this, he'd lost his hearing, poor man, so he was imagining this," Costello continues, and now we can see that he's in the backseat of an LS 450 L. "When you close your eyes, you can see the whole orchestra in front of you. You find yourself lost in it and following it.''

So we have a guy talking about music that you can get lost in, composed by a deaf guy. There's something poetic in that.

"It doesn't all come at you at once. It's not like a rock 'n' roll record,'' Costello says. "But it's exciting, like a rock 'n' roll record.''

Throughout, we see tight shots—starting with a profile—of the Alison writer's face. He really holds the screen. (Plus, who knew he had such a cute nose?) It ends with a new twist on air guitar—air conducting, as Costello rocks out to Beethoven and laughs. It's a new kind of classical rebellion, and the spot sells us on him and the car.

The commercial featuring Mrs. Costello, a.k.a. Diana Krall, is a lot quieter and more internal—like jazz itself. She's in the front seat of an SC 430 listening to "Night Train'' by Oscar Peterson, an undervalued jazz composer. It's a brilliant choice. "I first heard this song when I was about 15-years-old listening to Oscar Peterson at the Orpheum in Vancouver,'' she says. "Completely blown away. I knew right then that I wanted to be a jazz musician.'' The close-ups are interesting—she's beautiful in a more-delicate-than-Jenna-Elfman kind of way. And she comes off as authentic and thoughtful, but clearly not the wordsmith her husband is. It's clear that she feels it in her fingers and says, almost apologetically, "It still moves me to the point where I can't express it except on the piano.''
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Earlier evidence of Elvis flogging cars -

http://www.elviscostello.info/articles/o-q/q9404.html

Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Finally saw this Lexus ad last night. Surprisingly mild and even somewhat amusing IMO.
cre618

Post by cre618 »

Didn't mean to post twice..sorry.
Last edited by cre618 on Wed May 16, 2007 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cre618

Post by cre618 »

John Mayer weighs in....

from http://www.johnmayer.com/blog

RUMINATIONS ON A TREADMILL

Here's some stuff I was thinking about on the treadmill today. I don't bring my iPod to the gym anymore. I can't really explain it except to say that there's something unsatisfying about it. The songs kind of drill into my ear when I'm working out and I can't concentrate on the parts of the music I want to. (I told you I couldn't really explain it.)

(snip)

2.) I just saw a commercial for Lexus featuring Elvis Costello, and as I like to pay attention to my reactions when I'm being sold something, I thought this was an interesting one. Here's the order of impressions made on me.

a. Oh look, there's Elvis Costello.
b. Man, that guy looks cool. I hope I look that cool someday.
c. How old is he? He's just plain cool. And it's got nothing to do with age. I'd like my cool to have nothing to do with age.
d. Do you just decide to do that and you can? I hope so. I'm deciding right now to be that cool.
e. He's talking about Beethoven. Interesting.
f. He's in a Lexus. Cool looking car.
g. Oh, it's a Lexus ad, centered on the stereo system.
h. THAT STEREO SYSTEM SOUNDS GREAT, I BET.

Two things here interest me - number one, at no time during the commercial did I have the response of "Oh, look, Elvis Costello got paid to do a Lexus commercial. Times must be tough!" The words "sell-out", "shill", "hock" also never came to mind. Just how cool I thought Elvis Costello was and how that stereo system looks like it sounds great. And that's where number two comes in. How difficult must it be - and subsequently how impressive is it - to sell a sound to you over a TV commercial? The car looks like it smells like brand-new upholstery and that stereo looks like it sounds great. Elvis looks cool, the car looks cool, and everybody goes away happy. Maybe I'll re-think my stance on things...
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I'm not a fan at all of Oscar, er, John Mayer, but good post. I'm not a fan at all of Oscar, er, John Mayer, but good post.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
A rope leash

Elvis, the "roll model"

Post by A rope leash »

First, I don't recall seeing the entire car ever in this commercial, so what cool-looking car is he talking about? The big Lexus is a direct rip-off of the Mercedes-Benz as far as looks go. It might be elegant, distinctive, or handsome, but...cool?

Secondly, is Mayer supposed to be some kind of rebel idol? Hasn't he done commercials?

Thirdly, this is exactly what I said would happen. Youngsters will see this as their go-ahead to cave amid the ever-growing corporate fascist wave.

The world I grew up in is gone. Elvis isn't worried about losing many fans over this...he knows his newer fans are already spoiled brat consumer-bots, exactly the sort of thing he railed against back in the day.

Ineffecient, gaudy, elitist vehicles like the Lexus should have gone the way of the dinosaur many years ago. To have some kid think it's cool because Elvis is riding in the back of one really gets me where it hurts. Sure, big, expensive limos are part of the pop game, and sports cars, perhaps...but staid, rich-guy luxury sedans? Come on, and Cadillacs are much cooler looking anyway.

I know a lot about automobiles and their history, and I admire some cars quite a lot, but I understand the dark side of what they represent...pollution, waste, carnage, and death. These oil-drinking machines, for the most part, should all be in museums by now...but no, the corporate powers that be have declared internal combustion to be the be-all and end-all of personal transportation. The thing is, I know Elvis knows this...that he would bow down to them is disheartening.

The stereo in the Lexus is probably pretty good, but so are the systems in many other cars. As we can note, Elvis never says a word about the stereo or the Lexus. Maybe they just got him drunk and filmed him while he was chaufferred home...

...in any case, Mayer is right about one thing...this is worthy of re-thinking one's stance. I'm re-thinking my stance on Elvis Costello and rock and roll in general. I think maybe I've been sold a Lark.

(as in Studebaker)

(the Lark was a very aptly named car)
A rope leash

A stretch? Perhaps...

Post by A rope leash »

By shilling for the gods of internal combustion, Elvis Costello is giving tacit approval to the dirty deeds of oilmen. He is also giving his approval to the imperialistic wars we are now engaged in.

Too much? I don't think so. Elvis is probably quite embarrassed deep down, and I hope he chokes on it.

If anyone out there still reads, please read this:

http://www.ichblog.eu/content/view/1459 ... llComments

...he said they traded in their baby for a Chevrolet...
This Sad Burlesque

Post by This Sad Burlesque »

I am quite surprised by people's skylark attitude about such an egregious offense as Elvis' appearance in any kind of commercial. His participation in Spice World--now that could be construed as humorous or even not taking himself too seriously...not to mention his cameo in the Austin Powers film...or even on Third Rock from the Sun. However, nothing can justify being a barker at this stage in his career...not to mention at this stage in his maturity.

There are two people I have quoted extensively in my life--Elvis Costello and Bill Hicks. Since Elvis did his talking by doing that incipid commercial, I will turn instead to the late Bill Hicks...who thankfully DIED before he could abandon his principles:

"Here's the deal, folks: You do a commercial, you're off the artistic roll call forever. You're another corporate f***ing shill; you're another whore at the capitalist gang bang. And if you do a commercial, there's a price on your head; everything you say is suspect; and every word that comes out of your mouth is now like a turd falling into my drink."

Can it be any clearer than that?
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

I saw the ad for the first time the other night too. Got a chuckle out of it. Certainly nothing to get your panties in a knot over.

"tacit approval to the dirty deeds of oilmen, and approval to imperialistic wars" ??

:lol:
:lol:
A rope leash

Did you bother to read the link, Emot?

Post by A rope leash »

Thanks for quoting Bill Hicks, Sad B. That is precisely what my objections are about.

Would you let Bob Dylan do this?

I'll tell you one thing, I'm taking my souvenier Elvis ball cap off the shelf and wearing it while I mow the grass. I'm also going to drink American beer from my Elvis mug.

Really, you know, he probably sold out when he decided to go professional as a rock star. It's all a gigantic mass deception, anyway.

It boils down to the same old question, I guess...is it the art, or the artist? I'll always admire Elvis, but he has come down a notch or two.

Would you have let Frank Zappa do this? You can't rage against the system and then appear in a corporate advertisement. It hurts your percieved integrity.

Take it back, Elvis!

Maybe you thought I was your Packard goose, or the Ronald McDonald of the newborn truth...
pophead2k

Re: Did you bother to read the link, Emot?

Post by pophead2k »

A rope leash wrote: Would you let Bob Dylan do this?
Would you have let Frank Zappa do this?

Maybe you thought I was your Packard goose, or the Ronald McDonald of the newborn truth...
Zappa woulda done it just to piss you off Rope. And how do any of us 'let' our favorite musicians do anything? And Bob Dylan sold panties and bras for Victoria's Secret for chrissakes! Does that make 'Desolation Row' or 'Hurricane' any less meaningful to me? Nope.
A rope leash

Dylan sexy?

Post by A rope leash »

Zappa would have never shilled for anyone.

What? Is Bob some kind of dirty old man now? Gals, does looking at Bob make you hot?

Elvis might as well spin his head completely around and start puking green slime.

I'm sorry most of you don't get where I'm coming from, but I'm not surprised...and as far as "letting" our heroes do such things...Jesus Christ, y'all...I'm not saying we can actually expect to tell them what to do, I'm asking if we should support them after they have (in our own opinion) sold-out their core positions?

Would you let Billy Joe Armstrong? Beck?

Does this advertisement make you want a Lexus?
This Sad Burlesque

Post by This Sad Burlesque »

You're absolutely right...it would be childish to exact some measure of retribution on the Elvis collection that I've spent the last 25 years amassing. The Elvis who wrote Imperial Bedroom is not the Elvis who made a smarmy commercial.

But that's the whole point of my Bill Hicks quote. Everything Elvis NOW has to say is suspect because there's a price on his head. Every word that NOW comes out of his mouth is like a turd falling into my drink.

Does it seem like an over-reaction? Well, for those of you who think so, it just illustrates the point that art for art's sake has lost its allure...that we've gotten to a point where principles can just be abandoned...wait...I've heard that somewhere...don't tell me...oh, yeah:

"Abandon virtue to begin with
Abandon grace
Abandon sin
Abandon faith and then belief

Abandon words
And perish the thought
Take away the slander of evil
You forbid more than you protect
You will lose the sense and the meaning
Somewhere between respect and correct."

"Abandon Words"
Elvis Costello
Brutal Youth (Rhino)

No--I won't use my Elvis mug or let my guitarist use the pick I got at one of Elvis' concerts...but my Elvis collection hit a permanent dead end at The River in Reverse.

I will miss you, Elvis.
A rope leash

Wow, man...

Post by A rope leash »

...that is seriously like suicide.
A rope leash

For those who cannot see...

Post by A rope leash »

I fell in love with Elvis from the start. It was good to hear a rocking, taught, three-minute song on the radio again.

He apealled to my rebellious nature, to my youthful anger, and my inner suspicions. Columbia had to put up with him, I imagined, because the money to be made from his talent was too great to ignore...he bit the hand that fed him because he could get away with it. Simply put, he was a great man at a young age, or at least, a great musician and poet. The world had to pay attention. He didn't even have to play what they told him to on live television...he did what he wanted, bravely.

My hero.

Here's a couple paraphrased quotes from Elvis' earlier life:

"The royal family are nothing but scum. Why should we pay for them to go on a continuous holiday? There you have it, you'll never see Elvis live at Buckingham Palace..."

About Micheal Jackson:
"Here's a guy who has the ear of every young man in the world, and what is he doing? Selling bloody sugar water..."

(...a reference to Pepsi).

Elvis made millions for himself and Columbia, feeding off the steady flow of anger and resentment among the young "punks" of the day. He developed into a wonderful songwriter, an adorable musician, and a unique showman. He did not seem to care much when his flag faltered and he had to go to other distributors to get his product out...he knew his talent would get him through, and any sort of aquiesence to the corporate kings would still be completely uncalled for. On through and including River in Reverse he has continually and derisively cut into the corporate fascist paradigm and laid it open for all to see. Sure it isn't all "I hate capitalism", but there's quite a lot of it, and it was a big part of what made him rich and admired.

Then he pooped in the punchbowl.

Okay, it's not so bad, but Lexus? If Elvis really liked Cheerios, I could maybe see that. But, Elvis recommends one automobile brand over another? What the fuck does Elvis Costello know about CARS?! Did he test out the sound system in the Jaguar before deciding on the Lexus? Just how much research did Elvis do before deciding to ride with the Toyotatrons?

No, they showed him a big sack of money, and he said "...gawdamn!"

His new trophy wife nodded ethusiastically.

Let's do it!

Get in the car!

I got to go finish the lawn.

...the girl with the eternity rock
went down on a bookie to buy some stock
now all the signs in the shopping arcade
say the corporation keeper's the new Jesse James...
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

I haven't felt so betrayed since the Easter Bunny stole my wallet.
alexv

Post by alexv »

I'm going to be fifty soon, and I have no illusions about artists and integrity. Some have it (good for them); most don't and that's ok. You can write a beautiful novel and have no integrity; write a great pop song and have no integrity; etc., etc. What counts is the art not the artist. So, who cares if EC is selling his ass for cash?

Iwouldn't, except for the fact that this particular artist, EC, has been busy for the last 30 years opening his mouth with opinions on everything, particularly about what other artists do. And I think it would be fair to say that there has been a self-righteous tinge to most of what he's uttered. Plenty of folks have been slagged by him over the years for perceived moral failings, questionable artistic choices, pandering to undemanding audiences, and lack of artistic rigor.

So, when you think EC you don't just think Alison, you think of an entertainer who is expected to live up to a certain code of conduct that is expected to be consistent with his public statements over those 30 years. I dont' give him a free pass. That code of conduct doesn't prevent him from reselling us his records over and over again. It's understood that he doesn't have Jagger's bucks, and he's got a right to milk his music for all it's worth.

But selling cars? shilling for a car maker (and doing it dishonestly to boot, with his little Beethoven riff, as if that's supposed to hide the fact that he's selling cars). As I noted before on the Visa thread, nothing prevents a "liberal" like EC from being greedy and trying to make as many bucks out of his music as he can. But this is different: he's using his fame to sell widgets, his phony Beethoven link notwithstanding, and that puts a lie to 99% of his past public statements.

I can't think of any artist who's said one third of the self-righteous stuff EC has over the years, and has ended up selling cars on tv? Dylan may have sold panties, but his whole stance has always been (at least since the mid 60s, after he left his fake folky phase), that he's just a musician, a working stiff who writes songs that people make too much of. Van's stance is similar. The guys who let their songs be used for commercials make no excuses: they either need the money (unlike Difford/Tilbrook who sold hamburgers with Tempted, EC does not), or they've never been precious about the whole thing.

But there is one Lexus commercial that would not have bothered me and that is this one: EC walks up to the camera, puts his hand on the grille and says, "Hello, I'm Elvis Costello. Believe it or not, I drive a Lexus when I'm not on tour, and I think it's the best car out there. Wouldn't think of driving anything else. I'm not saying I'm an expert on cars, mind you, music's my bag, as they say, but in my book, Lexus is this year's model. Cheers!!
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

I haven't seen the commercial, but I thinks it's cool because it's the HYBRID Lexus. He is promoting a clean & green environment.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Elvis 'stance' or 'attitude' has changed very noticeably over the past ten or so years. The slagging that alexv refers to pretty much stopped when he started hanging out with Elton John and serenading Sting at benefits. This kinder, gentler El is completely different from the guy who used to rip Sting, Elton, Madonna, and any number of other bands to shreds. And while I'm sure someone will pull some bon mot out from the last couple of years to disprove my claim, I think that this new EC (love him or hate him) is keeping completely consistent in doing this ad. I totally understand how this offends some people and respect that point of view. But as I've said in this forum, I don't really want to be held up to things I've said 10, 20, or 30 years ago. Folks change. I don't want to see Elvis all over the TV selling things, but that's cause I've always been a selfish fan. I didn't want everyone and their grandpa to know all about this guy. That allowed me to see him in theatres instead of stadiums. If there's one thing that has been consistent about Elvis, it has been change, change, change. He lost lots of fans when he got arty with the Brodskys and Bacharach, and he'll probably lose some more now. I doubt he'll care any more now than he did then.