Elvisa Costello

Pretty self-explanatory
kimmy

Elvisa Costello

Post by kimmy »

This is actually Kimmy's husband. We've seen Elvis twice. My wife is a HUGE fan, as I'm sure most of you are.

Both times we've seen him, I've enjoyed the music immensely. However, I was GREATLY irritated at his political views FORCED on the concert-goers. The last time(during his Katrina rant)I said, "Just sing the fookin' songs". It wasn't loud, but the guy next to me said, "No sh!t".

NOW, we're trying to get tix for his May 8th show in the St. Paul area and we can't get them because we don't have a VISA card!! The ticket outlets don't even have the tickets so I can drive 150 miles(which I've done)and pay cash or whatever.

We'll fenangle the tickets I'm sure, but is this in ANY WAY consistent with Elvis' political stances?

I wonder how many Katrina victims that appreciated his 'sincere' support are sitting at their computer terminals with their Mastercards or American Express in hand saying, "WTF???"

Not very 'liberal', ARE we now, Mr. McManus??????

What say YOU??
...even in a perfect world, where everyone was equal..
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I don't disagree with you on this, but it reminds me of this thread:
http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... php?t=1861

Elvis has always worn his politics on his sleeve - and really it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone by now. But it seems that over the past 5 years or so he's become quite the socialite/businessman. I agree it's kind of odd that he goes from singing for the common man on The River In Reverse to doing member's only type gigs so quickly.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
alexv

Post by alexv »

Why should we assume Ec is not liberal just because he makes a deal with Visa to sponsor his tour? Do liberal artists have to pay their own way or make their shows affordable to the poor? Some of the greatest, and most effective, liberals in this country have been filthy rich, and lived like it. Doesn't stop them from supporting liberal causes. To follow on Blue's comment but heading to an opposite conclusion, we have a rich tradition of socialite/businessmen singing songs, among other things, for the common man, while living in fancy Park Avenue apartment.s They give to the poor, pass laws to help the poor, fund schools etc., all the while making sure they earn as much money as they can. When their jobs are to entertain they charge what they feel suits their worth as artists. EC is a millionaire, and could afford to do cheap shows, but he, like most of his fellow artists, doesn't do it. To criticize this kind of behavior as hypocritical strikes me as naive. Reminds me of that Preston Sturges movie where the idealistic director (I think that's what he was supposed to be) wants to live with the common man to feel his pain. Unnecessary, and condescending. It would indeed be preferable if poor folks could all get to see EC. But EC and the gang are playing in the capitalist playing field, and there, for the most part, to see the best you have to have the means, even when the best are feeling your pain.

The Visa thing does open EC up to the charge of being plain greedy. That I agree with. But liberals can be greedy and still be liberals. My main beef with the guy these days is that his constant media whoring and accumulation of new celebrity "best friends" is making him very un-cool.
Sulkygirl1

Post by Sulkygirl1 »

Given the political stances Elvis has given voice to and the fact that he has played at least one Democratic fundraiser, I think we can assume he is left leaning.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I also don't understand the connection between pointing out the shameless performance of ALL levels of government in regards to Katrina and being a liberal. Trust me, lots and lots and lots of conservative folks I know who were affected by K have no kind words for Bush (R), Blanco (D), or Nagin (D) in regards to that particular event. Katrina was an equal opportunity destroyer and rich folks and poor folks, conservative folks and liberal folks, black folks and white folks all lost their homes and property. Believe me, had Democrats been in the White House and screwed up in the response, EC would have flayed them as well. I was at this tour as well, and although El had particular invective for Bush, he chastised all levels of government involved.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I agree with pophead.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Can't see how limiting his audience to Visa users would benefit EC at all. I could see the sense in if Visa users got a discount other credit cards didn't get or something like that, but to exclude the others altogether just seems dumb.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

pophead2k wrote:I also don't understand the connection between pointing out the shameless performance of ALL levels of government in regards to Katrina and being a liberal. Trust me, lots and lots and lots of conservative folks I know who were affected by K have no kind words for Bush (R), Blanco (D), or Nagin (D) in regards to that particular event. Katrina was an equal opportunity destroyer and rich folks and poor folks, conservative folks and liberal folks, black folks and white folks all lost their homes and property. Believe me, had Democrats been in the White House and screwed up in the response, EC would have flayed them as well. I was at this tour as well, and although El had particular invective for Bush, he chastised all levels of government involved.
As usual, thoughtful and thought-provoking. Great post, Agent 2,000.

Boooooo-yahhhh to no one in particular, and to everyone in particular involved. However, the compliment to his boy "Brownie" will be something that GWB will never be able to explain away. The FEMA guy was and is an absolute incompetent boob who had no business ("I distinctly said "no Salt, Nooooooosalt!") being in such a position. He is the Milton Waddams of the Bush 2 Administration.

Bcck to biness. Elvis is becoming snobbish and I think it is reflected in interview, in overstretching with Marian Mcpartland (to which she claims, at the end of Almost Blue "that was certainly an interesting way to end the song" or some such statement that effectively meant the vocal stylings at the end of that Costello McPartland piece sucked. As you might guess, and I have posted before, whether Bono is singing against Artists against Apartheid or Elvis is prattling on about politics, apply the same argument to their ability to earn the platform for political speak that you would to Brittany Spears/Paris Hilton. If youe cause is to bring a repressed people out of the darkness of dispair,and there is a concensus that this needs to be done, few will begrudge a short statement or song dedication. But the diatribes that used to be for "quasi-entertainment/its only rock and roll but I like it" reasons, now are to try to move people along the political continuum, and I hate that. I get Wall Street. I get Business Week. I get the Orange County Register. I can get my education there, on line, and the most trustworthy of all sources, from the occasional post by A Rope Leash.

But not from Elvis Costello, a rich kid who is still playing great music with great friends and has a life of riley. Don't, please don't give me that old tortured artist bullshit. If Jimi, Janis, Jim, and Kurt all want to ff themselves at the age of 27, the music dies and life goes on. Elvis is past 50, and will be prolific when he is 80. Drop the politics.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Randlepmcmurphy

Post by Randlepmcmurphy »

He's not very keen on the royal family either but then again who is.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Randlepmcmurphy wrote:He's not very keen on the royal family either but then again who is.
But, surely, Caroline Quentin's sitcom must get the EC seal of approval? (unless you're referring to some lesser family of similar designation? ) 8)
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Caroline Quentin - are you sure? :lol: Aherne, I mean, ahem.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?