Elvis Rocks The US May 2007

Pretty self-explanatory
martinfoyle

Elvis Rocks The US May 2007

Post by martinfoyle »

Here's a handy ticketmaster link for all you lucky Americans who can get to see our Dec in May.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/artist/734817

One hope's he gets to try out a bunch of new tunes and quickly put them out on a new album. After signing off on the abbreviated version of the Hansel Gretel thing, maybe he has realised that he should get back to his knitting and do something he's really good at. Maybe he'll even bring it all back home...... We can but hope.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

A Wednesday? Ugh.

Will give it a go. At least it's not at the bloody Beacon Theater again.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Diana's back on tour, too, and it looks like EC is babysitting through June.
(The dates are off of Jeff Hamilton's site and aren't officially published yet - except for Hollywood Bowl in Aug.)

April 12 JH; w/ Diana Krall, Fundraiser for Lincoln Center, New York, NY
April 14 JH; w/ Diana Krall, Reagan Center, Washington DC

June 8-9 JH; w/ Diana Krall (Anthony Wilson & John Clayton), Yoshi's, Oakland, CA
June 14-17 CHJO; w/ Diana Krall, Las Vegas Hilton, Las Vegas, NV
June 21-22 JH; w/ Diana Krall, Mountain Winery, Saratoga, CA
June 23 JH; w/ Diana Krall, Private Concert, Geyserville, CA
June 24 JH; w/ Diana Krall, Santa Rosa, CA

August 17-18 CHJO w/ Diana Krall and L.A. Philharmonic, Hollywood Bowl
wardo68

Re: Elvis Rocks The US May 2007

Post by wardo68 »

martinfoyle wrote:One hopes he gets to try out a bunch of new tunes and quickly put them out on a new album. After signing off on the abbreviated version of the Hansel Gretel thing, maybe he has realised that he should get back to his knitting and do something he's really good at. Maybe he'll even bring it all back home...... We can but hope.
Or maybe he'll be promoting the new reissues?
funstan

Post by funstan »

No southeast dates announced. With the exception of the people that go to Chastain Park in Atlanta I bet it is a great place to see EC on a cool spring night. Ryman in Nashville perhaps, Memphis in May music fest possibly.

Anyway excited to see what dates will pop up in the Nashville area.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis gets Pimped - big time!

http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?aId=28956

Elvis Costello & the Imposters Ten-City Tour Gives Visa Signature® Cardholders Special VIP Access to Concert Tickets

SAN FRANCISCO - Visa Signature® will present Elvis Costello & the Imposters in a ten city tour, spanning from the House of Blues in Los Angeles to the Nokia Theatre in New York City. The tour kicks off on May 2, 2007, with performances throughout the month. In conjunction with this intimate 10 date tour, on May 1 Hip-O/Universal Music Enterprises will release Rock And Roll Music, a rock-themed collection of hits, key album tracks, b-sides and rarities; along with The Best Of Elvis Costello: The First 10 Years and Costello’s first 11 original albums.

As part of Visa Signature’s ongoing commitment to delivering unique experiences to cardholders, Visa Signature cardholders have exclusive access to advance tickets through a pre-sale, as well as VIP experiences and more. Costello will also be featured in Visa Signature’s new print and online advertising campaign.

“Bringing the best in live entertainment to cardholders through this concert series is just one example of the unique and rewarding experiences that Visa Signature delivers,â€
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Yuck. I may have to stay away in protest. As if he cares.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Elvis has finally sold out. But where's the Toronto date?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Cool... VIP tickets with bar and reception... free drinks? Doubt it.

That's good to hear that DK is on the road a bit. Stopping into the Bay Area, I see. It would be cool if she booked a gig at the Bach Dancing & Dynamite
Society - http://www.bachddsoc.org/ (check out how the place got it's name.. it's classic: http://www.bachddsoc.org/name.html )

It's one of my favorite spots for music. Pete, the owner, is quite a character... beatnik dude with an edge. I've partied with him a few times. He would book Diana and/or Elvis in a minute.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Elvis' second night in Amsterdam last year was for Visa cardholders only. I hate the very idea of this. I hope this concept doesn't come to the UK.

The Elvis Costello in conjunction with Visa Cardholders Limited Edition Tour Jacket can't be far away...
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis' second night in Amsterdam last year was for Visa cardholders only.
Yes, but on the night they were happy to take my Mastercard. However, considering the , generally, limited capacity of most of the U.S. venues in May that course of action is probably not advisable.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Wait, I won't be able to see E.C. & the Imposters unless I have a Visa Signature card? Bogus. It looks like tickets for the SF show go on sale to the "general" public on 4/7.

If this is strictly a closed show for Visa Sig. holders, then Visa - Read between the lines of my index and ring fingers. There you will find my response to this marketing gimmick.

Maybe, for once in my life, I will have to get legit and look into this Visa card business in order to get into the show. Quite honestly,
my initial thoughts were to crash the VIP bar and chat it up with some VIP types and then meander my way to the front row.

For now, I'm holding out on this Visa card business with the hope that without the Vcard, I can land a GA ticket and be on floor with a tequilla gimlet in hand... hopefully, the drink will be in a small plastic cup so I don't accidentally spill the drink on a Visa VIP... you know those gimlet glasses aren't the best for concerts.
Adam2

Post by Adam2 »

this is the biggest bunch of shit i've ever seen. i tried to get the visa signature card solely for the purporse of getting Chicago tickets, but it was a disaster. they said i was approved for the card and said they could send it overnight, and today the wrong card comes. they said they upgraded me. now i can't get the card for like 3 weeks, even though they sent a higher card overnight. now i have to wait until the onsale date and hope that i can get tickets. i am very dissapointed.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

BlueChair wrote:Elvis has finally sold out. But where's the Toronto date?
No offense Blue, but I'm so tired of hearing that artists have 'sold out'. Who is the arbiter of such things? IMHO, as soon as anyone commercially releases a song with the intention of potentially receiving compensation for it, they have 'sold out', whatever the hell that means. Do I like EC becoming a Visa shill? Nope. Do I care? Hell nope. I guess if he starts writing and singing about Visa, I'll take notice. I actually like DeNiro and Scorsese's AMEX ad.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Adam2 - Sorry to hear about the trouble you went through with the Visa card.

Visa should have a link from the Ticketmaster form that allows you fill out an application for a Visa Sig. card. It should also trigger the purchase of the concert tickets once you are approved for the Visa card.

I don't see any web links that connect the Ticketmaster and Visa services together (web integration of services). It's a poor roll out of what could be a successful marketing partnership.

I would be extremely disappointed if I were - 1: Buying into this program as a fan; 2: Was a part of the marketing group that put this program together. Nice roll out, chumps.

I think I'm opting out of the Vcard Sig. now. You lost me Visa. I plan to buy tickets with my AMEX card.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Wes Anderson's Amex commercial is also quite good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spCknVcaSHg

Actually, I was mostly kidding. Songs in television commercials don't really bother me at all to be honest, so long as they're good commercials.

I take more of an issue with the whole exclusivity thing - that only a certain demographic is able to go see an Elvis show. The fact that the past few years have found Elvis increasing his concert ticket prices by quite a lot also saddens me.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

pophead2k wrote:
BlueChair wrote:Elvis has finally sold out. But where's the Toronto date?
No offense Blue, but I'm so tired of hearing that artists have 'sold out'. Who is the arbiter of such things? IMHO, as soon as anyone commercially releases a song with the intention of potentially receiving compensation for it, they have 'sold out', whatever the hell that means. Do I like EC becoming a Visa shill? Nope. Do I care? Hell nope. I guess if he starts writing and singing about Visa, I'll take notice. I actually like DeNiro and Scorsese's AMEX ad.
I wouldn't give a damn about EC doing Amex commercials. It's the exclusivity things that bothers me.

PS - what he said ^
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

The exclusivity thing must be quite lucrative for the artists. I had a chance to see Paul Simon durng the Rhythm of the Saints tour, my fav Simon record...even better than Graceland. It was a Visa sponsored event. I did not carry a Visa card, and by the time I cajoled a friend of mine to secure the tickets for me by fronting the cash, the best seats were long gone. The concert was held in the Dayton Nutter center and I was at the back of the hall. The sound quality was dismal. In fact, when I had to use the mens room the sound quality was actually cleaner than in my seats in the hall.

I hate VISA for that. I don't hate Paul Simon and I continue to buy his music...

...with Cash, AMEX, and a Mastercard. Screw VISA and exclusivity. It has nothing to do with art. It has everythng to do with restricting access to art. That is crap.

On the sell out argument of Pophead 2K, I agree with the general point of his message
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

MOJO wrote:Wait, I won't be able to see E.C. & the Imposters unless I have a Visa Signature card? Bogus. It looks like tickets for the SF show go on sale to the "general" public on 4/7.

If this is strictly a closed show for Visa Sig. holders, then Visa - Read between the lines of my index and ring fingers. There you will find my response to this marketing gimmick.

Maybe, for once in my life, I will have to get legit and look into this Visa card business in order to get into the show.
I think it is more the case that you can't get presale tickets without a Visa Signature card but you will be able to get general tickets with any card when they are on general sale although this is my assumption. The holding of the Visa card probably entitles you to book the "exclusive" VIP stuff etc.

I've also noticed that ticket prices to see Elvis have increased in the last few years but my understanding is that part of this was to fund the orchestral shows - hence also the amount of shows he's been playing (I also understand that there was going to be an orchestral tour before Katrina came along and changed Elvis' plans). I am in the fortunate financial position to be able to afford to go on more than one night but would have to say that for the UK price of about £25-£30, seeing Elvis play 2 and a half hours represents good value to me. However as I say, I'm lucky enough to be able to afford it.

The difficulty is that even what I said about bumping up the prices to part pay for orchestral shows, you can be sure that now he's bumped it up (sorry), the prices won't come down again.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

All concert ticket prices have gone up, it's not just E.C.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

True. I can't believe it costs like $40 to see Wilco now.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Just because Tweedy has been trying to imitate Randy Newman lately is no reason to overcharge!
migdd

Post by migdd »

Well, okay.

The mini-tour is in "support" of the release of the two initial compilations and that probably means an extended "greatest hits" show. While it's always great to see "the guys" live, I don't think I'll travel 400 miles to hear Pump It Up and Detectives for the 40th time (and I mean that literally. . .it would be about that many times)!

With no dates in the southeastern US, I guess I'll have to pass on this one. After seeing EC and the Imps 5 times over the past 4 tours, I don't have anything to complain about. Still. . .sniff. . .sniff. . .
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

what two compilations??????? do we need more?????????? as i am in ny...will make it to nokia for #83; meaning about 60 times for PUMP and DETECTIVES. i'm sure we'll get a handful of new and/or never befores!!
shendley

Post by shendley »

funstan wrote:No southeast dates announced. With the exception of the people that go to Chastain Park in Atlanta I bet it is a great place to see EC on a cool spring night. Ryman in Nashville perhaps, Memphis in May music fest possibly.

Anyway excited to see what dates will pop up in the Nashville area.
I can't find any dates for Chastain listed with Ticketmaster. Am I missing something? I saw Elvis and Allen Toussaint there last summer. Would love to catch Elvis and the Imposters there.