National Championship - The Ohio State Buckeyes and TBDBITL

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Mr. Average

National Championship - The Ohio State Buckeyes and TBDBITL

Post by Mr. Average »

As a ravenous fan of college football, the upcoming National Championship Game between Ohio State and Florida is something to look forward to.

Here are a few facts for those that would like a primer in College Football (American-style):

1. Ohio State is the best damn team in the land, and;
2. USC delayed the inevitable upcoming loss by losing a few weeks early to UCLA, and;
3. Florida, while playing a tougher schedule, is not a NationalChampionship Team, and;
4. It was a damn wierd year where the competition was unpredictable and egually distributed around all leagues, and;
5. Troy Smith has already won the Heisman Trophy as the best College Football player of the year. They invited a few folks but it was for decorum and to take the sponsorship money.
6. The OSU Marching band, [TBDBITL- the best damn band in the land] is an asset and a contributor to the success of the team, and the team will be the first to mention it, behind the lead of Coach Tressel.
7. My son John Draper wrote the halftime drill, sans the script Ohio drill, for the entire OSU Michigan game. He was recognized at halftime on the scoreboard and by the stadium announcer. He is finishing his PhD in mathematics, which so pissess off the Music Majors, as that on a resume' is worth gold for a music major. He could care less, and does it because he has a passion for doing it as a hobby, not an occupation.
8. His halftime show will be broadcast to millions worldwide at the National Championship Game on January 08. He will be recognized there as well.

Go Buckeyes!!

Other Games:

LSU will crush Notre Dame, 17 points
Michigan beat USC by 9 points
UCLA will beat Florida State in the coveted Emerald Bowl (following the Hookah bowl) 7 points
Oklahoma Beats Boise State :22 points
Arkansas will play someone and beat them. I just can't remember who.

Go Buckeyes.

What do the OSU Buckeys and Elvis Costello have in common? The both have a black quarterbacks as their leaders, and they both have made some sort of history in Columbus, Ohio.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

and don't forget the Outback Bowl. TN will lose in the last second to somebody.

congratulations, Mr. A! you must be very proud.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Thank you. I am very proud.

And will be very embarrassed if OSU gets their Ass kicked by Florida.

Good luck to the Vol's.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Mr. A, that is truly outstanding. I love that he is a math major too! Not because I like math, I just think it is great that he is not one dimensional. Mr. A, I hope you are wrong about LSU winning. I don't care for Notre Dame, and you'd think I'd be a Tiger fan, but there is something about that program that makes me ill. I love LSU basketball, baseball, etc., but the football team - yechhh.
senior_service

Post by senior_service »

Congratulations Mr. Average. My step mother is a proud OSU alum, and I can assure you that she is more proud of the band than the football team. Having grown up a UCLA fan in L.A. in the 60's and 70's I spent spent several New Year's days rooting for the Buckeyes against USC. The best Rose Bowl I've ever been to though was UCLA's upset of #1 Ohio State in 1976. My allegiances switched to Arizona State in 1979 when I enrolled at ASU. Ohio State broke my heart in the 1997 Rose Bowl. Jake Plummer's touchdown scramble late in the 4th quarter of that game was one of the most exhilerating sporting moments that I've witnessed. Sadly, the Joe Germaine to David Boston TD a few moments later ruined the day for the Devil faithful.

Anyway, good luck against Florida. Congratulations to Troy Smith on his Heisman. He had a heck of a year.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Oh how I hate ohio state... :cry:
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

I could give a poop about football, but a PhD in Math, well that's impressive no matter how you look at it. Congrats, Mr. A.
double dutchess

Post by double dutchess »

Cheer up, LTZ...you could have a future Wolverine on your hands! 8)
I wasn't born the sharpest thorn
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Thank you to all, and condolences to LTZ,the OSU Hater who, hailing from Kalamazoo, and likely a U of M fan. Lloyd won't get you to the big dance. There is a team in Columbus that he can't seem to beat lately, and I think the curse is now beginnning to be the stuff of legends. Even the ghost of Bo could not carry the Wolverines to victory.

And a special thank you to Mechanical Grace. In one simple post, she slams home perspective and provides a clinic on the high road and the kind word. I come here to learn about shit. From your post, Mug, I learned an important lesson. One that, frankly, should have been engrained a long long time ago, and has been lost, and found, and lost, and found...but sometimes we lose perspective.

Thanks for a nice template to follow as I hurl myself into the Holiday whirlwind. I'll pay it forward.
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

You're very welcome; have a happy Christmas.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I don't really care about the national title game. I liked it a lot better when everything was decided on New Year's Day. Now it goes on for another week.

I have good memories of attending the Rose Parade in Pasadena, then making our way over to the Rose Bowl in the afternoon - Michigan v. Washington, Iowa getting blown out by someone or other. All those Midwesterners driving out in their RVs, happy to be out of the cold for a week or so.

UCLA knocked off the University of Spoiled Children. That was enough to make it a good season for me, somewhat deadening the pain of Harvard losing to Yale in The Only Game That Matters. :wink:
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Today is the day.

Go Buckeyes!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I heard the halftime show was fabulous, anyway!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Tough break, Mr. A. Not many saw that one coming (myself included). I hope your son's experience was better than the team's.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Did I say: " Go Buckeyes???" I meant "Mo' Buttwheat"

Yikes. Whappen?

John is an old guy on the band who, effectively, found himself in the counsellor/consoler role for the younger kids. He, too, was astonished at the domination.

Even though I gag a little when I say, write or think it, tremendous credit goes to Florida: players, coaches, band. They came to win. Buckeyes came for the award ceremony and left with their asses handed to them.

And such is college football...that's why it is so much fun (although I had absolutely no fun last evening)...entirely unpredictable and the "desire" factor is very, very tangible. UF wanted it. OSU thought they already had it.

That said, even if UF played OSU three consecutive nights, I think Florida would take them all. They had a game plan, and they stuck to it. It worked. OSU thought they were playing a Big Ten game. Big mistake.

Well, 5 "top 5" finishes in the last 5 years for OSU. Not too shabby (licking wounds and fishing for any rationale that sooths the soul