Your Ten Favorite.......Bowie songs

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
RinghioStarr

Post by RinghioStarr »

Well, you wouldn't be able to see them, anyway.
I want to be like Harry Houdini
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

RinghioStarr wrote: 5. Magic Dance (yeah)
Good heavens!

Not sure we can allow you a bonus track. Unusual choices from "heroes", but both good. I always loved Sons of the Silent Age. What a chorus! Another classic Bowie vocal.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

I'm split on Heroes, because the 'songs' are all brilliant while the instrumentals, to me, aren't as interesting as the ones on Low.
Otis Westinghouse

True, he couldn't quite repeat the act. Although there are some memorable things, e.g. Sense of Doubt, some of the novelty had gone, and it really doesn't match up to Low as a result. It's therefore quite a flawed work and much harder to love than the LPs that preceded it. Worth it entirely for the full glory of the 7 or whatever minutes of the extended title track.
25to12

Post by 25to12 »

Haha, now this is my kinda thread! Cripes, I couldn't pick 10 (a top 100 would be easier), but I'll try dammit... In no particular order...

Slip Away (one of the most beautiful ballads of all time)
Karma Man (his best 60s song, just edging it over Space Oddity)
All the Madmen (wow)
It's Gonna Be Me (absolutely brilliant soul ballad)
Red Sails (some of the coolest guitar solos you'll ever hear)
Dead Man Walking (drum 'n' bass, yeah!)
Teenage Wildlife (a couple more of the coolest gee-tar solos ever)
Sound and Vision (three minutes of musical perfection)
Time (anthemic masterpiece, and arguably his best Ziggy song)
Jump, They Say (trumpets are cool)

By the way, is anyone a member of bowiezone? If not, and you fancy joining a Bowie forum, please do - I'm a moderator there, so I'll put in a good word for you with the rest of the staff :wink: Plus I think fanatical Costello fans may be a tad under-represented
...the cost of living in sin would make a poor man out of Paul Getty...
Otis Westinghouse

Have not seen that site before, despite looking out for good Bowie sites in the past and more or less not bothering. Looks like nice site, but no news since July??? I combine decades of Bowie-addoration with slightly less of Costello ('73 vs '78, pretty much).

Question: why have the '30th anniversary reissues with bonus CD' dried up? YA was due out last year, and so therefore STS this. It was an absurdly slow way to replace all my treasured vinyl with CD, but the bonus CD thing helped, but then it stopped. Were they not selling enough? Is it on hold or abandoned? Any info welcome.

Nice list. Can't remember Karma Man, will have to revisit. Time I loved as a kid, but it pales for me next to the heights of most of the Ziggy LP. You obviously like a guitar solo!
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Except that Time is on "Aladdin Sane" ! :)
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

I always liked Ashed To Ashes
25to12

Post by 25to12 »

Mike Boom wrote:Except that Time is on "Aladdin Sane" ! :)
...which was during the guy's Ziggy aka glam phase, but, that's just being nerdy, so I#ll let you have that one :wink:
25to12

Post by 25to12 »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Have not seen that site before, despite looking out for good Bowie sites in the past and more or less not bothering. Looks like nice site, but no news since July??? I combine decades of Bowie-addoration with slightly less of Costello ('73 vs '78, pretty much).

Question: why have the '30th anniversary reissues with bonus CD' dried up? YA was due out last year, and so therefore STS this. It was an absurdly slow way to replace all my treasured vinyl with CD, but the bonus CD thing helped, but then it stopped. Were they not selling enough? Is it on hold or abandoned? Any info welcome.

Nice list. Can't remember Karma Man, will have to revisit. Time I loved as a kid, but it pales for me next to the heights of most of the Ziggy LP. You obviously like a guitar solo!
I think YA is still due out, even if it'll be a 32nd anniversary! I can't remember the details, but I think there's a re-release of every album from Space Oddity to Tin Machine in kind of mini-vinyl packaged format (they're still cds). Like I said, I can't quite remember the details.

And you're right, Ziggy Stardust is a damn near musically spotless album, like Elvis' own Trust, among others. I probably should've picked a song off it. Like I said, a top 100 would've been easier :D

Finally, the world of the David Bowie fan isn't quite the hustle and bustle of that of an Elvis Costello fan atm. As such there hasn't really been that much 'news' to speak of, a film cameo here, charity performance there and so on
Otis Westinghouse

True. My Bowie event of the year was a pilgrimage to the building on Lafayette St where he lives (assuming he's still there!). Sadly I didn't see him popping out to the deli or anything, but I felt a spirit of communion with the great man.
25to12

Post by 25to12 »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:True. My Bowie event of the year was a pilgrimage to the building on Lafayette St where he lives (assuming he's still there!). Sadly I didn't see him popping out to the deli or anything, but I felt a spirit of communion with the great man.
:lol: My Bowie event of the year was getting a couple of bootlegs last month, so I've got a way to go yet! He'll be back, I know he will. And hopefully with another epoc-making classic of an album. For now, one can only dream :)
25to12

Post by 25to12 »

I hate to keep jabbing at this subject, but all news on Bowiezone is reported on the other forums as it comes in; everyone posts/knows it before the site Admin can put in the News section. :) And my final word on the subject is - hurry up and make a comeback David, I'm starting to get bored...
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

What, Heathen wasn't a good enough 'comeback' for you? I'd say that was a damned amazing record!

Which isn't to say I'm not eagerly awaiting a new one. I'd also like a new one from Elbow and Arcade Fire, if you please...
25to12

Post by 25to12 »

Mechanical Grace wrote:What, Heathen wasn't a good enough 'comeback' for you? I'd say that was a damned amazing record!

Which isn't to say I'm not eagerly awaiting a new one. I'd also like a new one from Elbow and Arcade Fire, if you please...
You've got a point, but that was 4 years ago now. Reality was a pretty cool, though not quite brilliant album. Let's take this moment to hope Blur and Nick Cave come out with new albums sharpish too
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

25to12 wrote:Nick Cave come out with new albums sharpish too
Nick Cave has a new project with a group called Grinderman (you can check it out on MySpace), involving several of the Bad Seeds. New album is supposed to be out early next year.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Onto the next artist then?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
25to12

Post by 25to12 »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
25to12 wrote:Nick Cave come out with new albums sharpish too
Nick Cave has a new project with a group called Grinderman (you can check it out on MySpace), involving several of the Bad Seeds. New album is supposed to be out early next year.
Shows what I know :D I haven't been back to the Nick Cave MBs for quite a while now. :roll:
25to12

Post by 25to12 »

BlueChair wrote:Onto the next artist then?
Absolutely! Any ideas?
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Time for one last entry?

1. Queen Bitch
2. Lady Grinning Soul
3. When You Rock & Roll With Me (from David Live)
4. Sound & Vision
5. Red Sails (good call 25to12)
6. Let Me Sleep Beside You (from BBC Sessions)
7. Golden Years (could have had any from S2S, but the opening bars of GY do it for me)
8. Conversation Piece (The Original, but 2002 version is great too)
9. It's No Game Pt.1
10. Win

Not a Bowie Song, but My Death from the Santa Monica '72 show would have made it onto the list if it had been. It's Gonna Be Me from the LA 9/74 show is a big improvment on the YA bonus track in my opinion...

Indeed how do you peg it back to 10 choices?

Did somebody say we're having a top ten Nick Cave?
Where's North from 'ere?
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

BTw - had no idea Bowie lived on Lafayette until Otis told me. A week later I went for a Sake tasting event at 295 Lafayette, now I'm dating a woman from 265. I'm getting closer to DB all the time, we could soon be neighbours. I'm carrying my Issue No.1 of the 1973 DB Fan Club magazine and a felt pan at all times just in case I bump into the man. Watch This Space.
Where's North from 'ere?
Otis Westinghouse

http://www.cityrealty.com/condos/profile.cr?bid=7522

Not sure about the rainforest depleting floors there, Dave.

Good list, as I would expect, Storm, and nice to see you here again! Indeed that version of Let Me Sleep Beside You is tops. Love Lady GS, been playing that a bit recently. Convo Piece is a total classic too. When You R & R another masterpiece, though I'm not sure I could go for the Live version over the original. I am very fond of David Live as a whole, though.
Otis Westinghouse

stormwarning wrote:It's Gonna Be Me from the LA 9/74 show is a big improvment on the YA bonus track in my opinion...
Don't think I have it from LA, but do have it from Oct 16th. Second night in Detroit. Don't panic! On 'Infected with soul love' bootleg,. which also has Young Americans, Can You Hear Me and Somebody Up There. Not grat sound at all, but a good document of how the tour began to segue from being a DD one to a pre-YA one. You probably have it on pristine DVD!
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Remember that great performance he did of Simon & Garfunkle's 'America' as he opened the 9/11 tribute?
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Otis Westinghouse

No! haven't even read about that. Great song. Would love to hear that. Will search.