America's 100 best

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
ice nine

America's 100 best

Post by ice nine »

This Labor Day my favorite public radio station asked for the top American cd/album of it's listener's. Here's the reults. Comments?

http://www.wyep.org/music_programs/100albums.asp
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Tori Amos favoured over any Johnny Cash ?
Also I thought that Motown artists would have more albums in Top 100.
Most of the list is pretty obvious.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

Oh, lists, schmists. I'm sick to death of it.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

#1 and #78 are reversed. And too much R.E.M.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

No such thing.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I doubt whoever made up the list even surveyed people for it - too many unlikely choices in terms of the albums by the artists picked and also in of the albums as ranked in general. Either that or they didn't get many people voting.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

REM not that high up, though. Nor Tom W. Nor T heads. Only one VU LP shocking. I love the self-titled as much and at times more than the debut, and both would make my top 10 for sure.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

I'm amazed that I've heard 70 of them. I guess I'd include about a third if I'd made the list.
What this world needs is more silly men.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Any list that has Allman Bros Eat a Peach and Live at the Fillmore ("In Memory of Elizabeth Reed") together with Coltrane's A Love Supreme and Miles' Kind of Blue is a pretty good list. I love the strong Heads representation and the Aja.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:REM not that high up, though. Nor Tom W. Nor T heads. Only one VU LP shocking. I love the self-titled as much and at times more than the debut, and both would make my top 10 for sure.
And where was Let's Dance???
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Otis Westinghouse

It may as well be American...
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Yeah, not all American stuff can be as cool as Bros. and the Spice Girls.
--William Shakespeare
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Kind of disappointing that The Byrds, Flying Burrito Brothers or Gram Parsons didn't make the cut. And if Tori Amos deserves to be on the list, surely Elliott Smith does too
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

noiseradio wrote:Yeah, not all American stuff can be as cool as Bros. and the Spice Girls.
or New Kids on the Block or The Osmonds........or Britney....or Aguilera...etc

Redundant argument Mr Noise. crap is crap regardless of country of origin....and Let's Dance was crap in any language!
corruptio optimi pessima
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

BlueChair wrote:Kind of disappointing that The Byrds, Flying Burrito Brothers or Gram Parsons didn't make the cut. And if Tori Amos deserves to be on the list, surely Elliott Smith does too
Here here Blue. Makes no sense at all.
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

noiseradio wrote:Yeah, not all American stuff can be as cool as Bros. and the Spice Girls.
American not as in uncool but as in produced and played by (mainly) Americans, with a glossy American sound, a rather American showbiz ethic, with Bowie as token British element. Attempt to make a feeble joke of your bizarre comment!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Jackson Monk wrote:
or New Kids on the Block or The Osmonds........or Britney....or Aguilera...etc

Redundant argument Mr Noise. crap is crap regardless of country of origin....and Let's Dance was crap in any language!
Otis was the one who used "American" as a synonymn for crap. I was just reminding him that the UK has produced its fair share of shit. Why not chastize him?

P.S. Gary Glitter
--William Shakespeare
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
American not as in uncool but as in produced and played by (mainly) Americans, with a glossy American sound, a rather American showbiz ethic, with Bowie as token British element. Attempt to make a feeble joke of your bizarre comment!
I would argue that Young Americans does the same thing (admittedly more successfully). But you must know I wasn't seriously suggesting Let's Dance for the list. Just taking the piss.
--William Shakespeare
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

noiseradio wrote:Otis was the one who used "American" as a synonymn for crap. I was just reminding him that the UK has produced its fair share of shit.
But that's just it - I think what Otis was trying to say was that it was a very American-sounding album, not that it was necessarily crap (although I know from his previous comments that it is far from his favorite Bowie album). Personally I think it's a fine album with a few really excellent pop tracks, though very glossy and a little dated-sounding now.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I'll respectfully disagree that all Otis meant was that it was slick sounding. Here's the context:

1. List of greatest albums of all time.
2. People start bitching that their favorite isn't there or that some band they hate is (normal stuff).
3. I joke that Let's Dance is missing, knowing Otis will take the bait, as I enjoy messing with him about that album.
4. He jokes back that it "may as well be American..." as a dismissive remark.

So clearly in that context, Otis answered my (facetious) suggestion that Let's Dance belongs on the list with a playful jab at its merits, comparing it negatively with American music. (Which is cool. It was a decent joke.)

The irony is, of course, that the most famous and influential British acts of all time--the Beatles Zeppelin, and the Stones--went out of their way to sound "American." All their early records are attempts to mimic American musical forms. So Bowie's in good company.
--William Shakespeare
Otis Westinghouse

Actually I thought it was a bit misplaced to resume the (admittedly enjoyable) Let's Dance goading on a list of American bests, so I tried to come up with the best response I could in the context, which was admittedly feeble, although was not intended as dismissiveness per se, more saying 'well you may as well refer to it here as it has a very American slickness to it, and stars American luminaries such as Nile and Bernard and Stevie Ray' and ... why are we discussing this? I love loads of American music. No prejudice whatsoever. The Young Americans point is a fair one. The term 'American music by a British artist' would be more appropriate. Bowie was immersed in America at that point. there's nothing realy British about it. Back to the topic?
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Sure. God forbid the important work of ranking music should be interrupted.
--William Shakespeare
mood swung

this is a joke. it is only a joke.

Post by mood swung »

English? American?

Eskimo?
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Guided By Voices - Alien Lanes, Bee Thousand

Elliott Smith - XO, Figure 8, Either / Or

Harry Nilsson - Pussy Cats etc

De La Soul, 3 Feet and Rising

Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted, Crooked Rain Crooked Rain, Wowee Zowee

Blondie - Parallel Lines

The Raspberries - Fresh Raspberries, Side 3, Self Titled

Big Star- Three, #1 Record, Radio City

Cheap Trick - In Colour, Dream Police, Budokan, Self Titled, Heaven Tonight

The Byrds - Mr Tambourine Man, Notorious Byrd Brothers

Randy Newman - Good Old Boys etc

Rickie Lee Jones - Pirates

Just some of those missing from what is a pretty narrow and shitty list.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

and they forgot The Doobie Brothers.