Big Ben hurt in motorcyle accident

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
ice nine

Big Ben hurt in motorcyle accident

Post by ice nine »

For the football fans out there: Ben Rothleisberger, aka Big Ben here in Pgh, was in a bad motorcycle accident this morning. He was warned by Terry Bradshaw and others that he should wear a helmet while driving his bike, but he didn't. He ended up flying through a lady's car windsheild and he sustained major fractures. Seven hours of surgery.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Bad news! I understand he was coherent before surgery and is in stable condition, thankfully.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Even though I don't know who this guy is, I was intrigued that he was warned about not wearing a helmet and having read a couple of reports, was astounded that Pennsylvania law does not require a rider to wear a helmet. Is it up to the states locally to decide?

It was also interesting to read that people think he could be sued by his club.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Yes, helmet laws are decided state by state. Technically, so are issues such as speed limits and drinking ages, but the federal government has used its financial leverage against the individual states to ensure a national conformity, e.g. if the state doesn't establish a 21 year drinking age, there will be no highway funds forthcoming. Because the states have grown to rely on federal assistance for some of the larger infrastructure, states have no realistic choice but to comply. So much for federalism!
Last edited by pophead2k on Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
verbal gymnastics

I believe someone once said "In America the law is a piece of ass".
alexv

Post by alexv »

Now, now, VG, the law in America is a direct and proud descendant of the law in your neck of the woods, so it's a transatlantic piece of ass we are talking about.

In my state of Connecticut, we have these beautiful country roads and nearly every weekend, when the weather cooperates, you can see bands of overweight, middle aged men with what's left of their hair worn "pony tail" style, riding their massive bikes with pony tails blowing in the wind. You never see one of these guys with a helmet. Helmets should certainly be mandatory. I find it baffling that states don't require helmets. I could understand some of our wilder, western states refusing to bow down to federal regulations, it's a tradition out there, but my prissy state?
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

My mom's a nurse, and in the hospital, motorcycles are nicknamed donorcycles because of the huge number of poeple who refuse to wear a helmet.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
clairequilty

Post by clairequilty »

alexv wrote:Now, now, VG, the law in America is a direct and proud descendant of the law in your neck of the woods, so it's a transatlantic piece of ass we are talking about.

In my state of Connecticut, we have these beautiful country roads and nearly every weekend, when the weather cooperates, you can see bands of overweight, middle aged men with what's left of their hair worn "pony tail" style, riding their massive bikes with pony tails blowing in the wind. You never see one of these guys with a helmet. Helmets should certainly be mandatory. I find it baffling that states don't require helmets. I could understand some of our wilder, western states refusing to bow down to federal regulations, it's a tradition out there, but my prissy state?
For the record, I have never ridden a motorcycle; correct that, I have been on the back of a motorcycle a couple of times for very brief excursions to satisfy friends' requests.

But my experience in day to day life is that the problems rarely arise from these pony tail wearing ex-hippies riding their massive bikes, as described above. These folks seem somehow to defer to the laws of physics in most instances and are content to lumber along letting their annoying muffler-less sound hogs carry the day.

The problems arise when the high flying youngsters jump on their "crotch rockets" and defy the laws of speed and common sense, and eventually end up as pavement Picassos.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Just plain stupid.

If my livelihood was a direct function of my hands (say, as the renowned hand model (David Duchovney) in the film classic "Zoolander") I would protect those hands as if they were a golden goose.

Ben, how can you be so stupid? Sorry, but whether you like it or not you are paid to be part of a TEAM, and the wreckless abandon with which you put yourself in harms way (and it bit you in the ass) illustrates selfishness to the nth degree.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
verbal gymnastics

I should think the law will allow his Club to sue if it wants to as he must have been in breach of contract.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I find it baffling that states don't require helmets
me, too, alexv. Seatbelts are mandatory just about everywhere, aren't they?

Anyway, my husband (frequent but ponytail-less Harley rider) never fails to remind me that the difference between wearing a helmet or not wearing a helmet is .... an open or closed casket. :roll:
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

And what's with those little old-school skid lids? It's a fashion statement that says "I'll wear a helmet, but only cuz it's cool, not cuz I care about my brain." I guess they'd spare you losing some skin off the top of your head, but you could still lose and ear or get general (& fatal) head trauma.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

People should be required to wear helmets at all times. The shower is slippery and you never know when an another piece of Skylab is gonna come rocketing back to earth.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.