~Elvis Costello
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

if I could stand camping in the mud...
Like me, the "g" is silent.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Doc has been blowing off the idea of going to this for years. Just can't take the mud either.

Not to mention that his ex-wife lives just a few miles from there. . . . .
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

spooky girlfriend wrote:Doc has been blowing off the idea of going to this for years. Just can't take the mud either.

Not to mention that his ex-wife lives just a few miles from there. . . . .
Does she smell that bad?
signed with love and vicious kisses
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Well, do you have to sleep in the mud? Surely there is a hotel or two nearby. Room service and Elvis would make for a very nice weekend.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
LittleFoole

Post by LittleFoole »

Goody2Shoes wrote:Well, do you have to sleep in the mud? Surely there is a hotel or two nearby. Room service and Elvis would make for a very nice weekend.
Heck, I could just get up very early, fill my travel mug with lots o' yerba mate, and head west.....I'll take hiking a ways in the mud after parking over camping in the mud, any day....am too old for that bad craziness...LOL....OR I could just wait 'til they come back to the pristine and intimate confines of the Tennessee Theatre in Knoxville ;) Yeah, yeah....that sounds MUCH better (and only 30 minutes away ;) )
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

My thinking exactly, LF. I believe EC and the Imps will be in K-town late '06 or early '07.

crossing my fingers, anyway.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... t_Schedule

Fri 2006-06-17 Manchester, TN, Bonnaroo Music Festival

http://blueroom.att.com/events/bonnaroo.php

LIVE WEBCAST

The AT&T blue room will be bringing you hours of free uninterrupted live streaming coverage from Bonnaroo starting on June 16th. This year’s webcast will include Phil Lesh, Matisyahu, Ben Folds, Damian Marley, Bright Eyes and many more. The blue room will also be bringing you archived footage from all of your favorite Bonnaroo artists that will be available after the show! Stay up to date on the webcast schedule, archives and more by signing up for the AT&T blue room newsletter at

http://blueroom.att.com/newsletter/index.php.

Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival
June 16th-18th 2006

The Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival is a three-day multi-stage camping festival held on a beautiful 700-acre farm in Manchester, TN each June. This year Bonnaroo celebrates it's five year anniversary. The Festival bring together the best live performers in rock and roll, along with dozen of artists in complementary styles such as jazz, American, hip-hop, world, funk, electronica and just about any contemporary music you can think of. In addition to dozens of epic performances, the Festival's 150-acre entertainment village buzzes around the clock with attractions and activities including a classic arcade, cinema, circus, silent disco, comedy club, theater performances, craft beer festival, and a digital music village.
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

I got excited when I saw "Manchester", not realising there are two Manchesters in the world.

Elvis, please come home!
If there were a king of fools than I would wear that crown/And you can all die laughing/Because I'll wear it proudly.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

oldhamer wrote:Elvis, please come home!
Elvis' definition of home is different to yours...He doesn't regard England as his home anymore.

I just hope that by the time he comes over here his voice isn't spent.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Nick posts to listserv-

> John E drew our attention to this link
>
> http://blueroom.att.com/events/bonnaroo.php
>
> for a live broadcast of Performances at Bonnaroo
> starting on Saturday 16
> June. Pro tem, if you follow this link, click on
> "live performances" then
> "EC and AT" you can access two "Exclusive" streaming
> video performances by
> EC and AT. These are "The River in Reverse" and
> "The Sharpest Thorn". The
> latter features AT on piano and vocals by EC. The
> former also features the
> Little Hands of Concrete on acoustic guitar. Get 'em
> while you can.
>
> These performances are clearly not from Bonnaroo,
> but I cannot see the whole
> of the backdrop which would indicate when and where
> they were recorded. Any
> offers?

I posted -

Well spotted , Nick!

There are actually three songs , with International
Echo in addition to the two above . There are also
three lengthy interview segments. The '98XRT' logo in
the backround means this was recorded on May 1st '06
as part of the promo appearance in Schubas, Chicago.
funstan

Post by funstan »

Goody2Shoes wrote:Well, do you have to sleep in the mud? Surely there is a hotel or two nearby. Room service and Elvis would make for a very nice weekend.
This is Manchester, TN we are talking about. Room service would consist of Crystal Meth and R.C. Cola.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

You say that like "crystal meth" and "RC Cola" are bad things....
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
oldhamer wrote:Elvis, please come home!
Elvis' definition of home is different to yours...He doesn't regard England as his home anymore.

I just hope that by the time he comes over here his voice isn't spent.
I did wonder after I posted it. But I'm DEFINITELY going if he comes here, even if it involves spending my entire student loan...
If there were a king of fools than I would wear that crown/And you can all die laughing/Because I'll wear it proudly.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

It has been reported that he'll be touring Europe but whether or not that includes a tour or a one off show in England...

I was gutted to miss out on the Emmylou shows last year which Elvis told me was because no one had offered any/enough money to do the shows in England. I hope we don't miss out on these shows.

It'll be interesting to see how much the set lists change as he goes on.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.dicksonherald.com/apps/pbcs. ... /606180391

Dickson Herald, TN

Sunday, 06/18/06

Peace, love, music and understanding

Elvis Costello and The Imposters took Bonnaroo's main stage midday on Saturday alongside New Orleans R&B musician and producer Allen Toussaint, opening with the very fest-appropriate "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding."

The set switched back and forth between Costello's and Toussaint's songs, including some from their new collaborative album, The River In Reverse.

And Toussaint led a rollicking version of his "A Certain Girl" that amped his stage partner up.

"That's right," Costello howled. "That's why he's in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame."

— NICOLE KEIPER, STAFF WRITER

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://blogs.augusta.com/node/279

Augusta Chronicle | Steven Uhles

Less than perfect sometimes feels just right

Posted by Steven Uhles on June 17, 2006 - 4:50pm.

I've been waiting 20 years to catch Elvis Costello live. A long-time fan, I've always considered a Costello set one of my concert grails, a show to see before I die. When I envisioned said set, I pictured a theater setting, somewhere intimate where I could really feel the connection between myself and an artist I've long admired. Instead, I was one of several thousand vying for precious lawn space in a large open field.
It was perfect.

If I take nothing more than the Costello set and a minor case of sunburn away from Bonnaroo, I'll leave happy. Not only did I witness a monumental musical moment, but I was able to watch a tremendously large crowd became captivated by a musical icon. I'm not embarrassed to say that when "Allison" -- a Uhles family favorite -- segued into "Tracks of My Tears", I choked up a little. A firm front-runner for my favorite Bonnaroo moment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 2006-06-17

Manchester, TN, Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival
June 17 '06

01. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
02. Monkey To Man
03. Tears, Tears And More Tears
04. A Certain Girl - Allen vocal
05. Clown Strike
06. Broken Promise Land
07. Freedom For The Stallion
08. The River In Reverse
09. Who's Gonna Help Brother Get Further? - Allen lead vocal
10. International Echo
11. Play Something Sweet (Brickyard Blues) - Allen vocal
12. Bedlam
13. Watching The Detectives
14. I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
15. High Fidelity
16. Pump It Up
Encore 1
17. Alison / Tracks Of My Tears
18. That's How You Got Killed Before
19. Yes We Can Can
20. The Sharpest Thorn
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/ne ... tucky_news

Mark Cornelison/Staff
Elvis Costello was one of the featured performers at Bonnaroo.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://menisci.blogspot.com/2006/06/i-s ... t-and.html

http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/storie ... 8-15-04-39

( extract)

Costello and Toussaint, both new to Bonnaroo this year, put together a set that included New Orleans jazz with some of Costello's new wave classics. The band performed "Pump It Up" and "Alison," updated with the crisp sound of their New Orleans horn section.

"Most of my life is spent in the studio," Toussaint said. "I am seeing things that I have not witnessed before. It's a whole spirit that I haven't seen."

The pair recently released "The River in Reverse," a collection of new songs written by Costello along with some of Toussaint's songs from the '60s and the '70s.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/19/arts/ ... ref=slogin
( extract)

There was an all-star New Orleans contingent at the festival: the idealistic funk of the Neville Brothers, the Preservation Hall Jazz Band and the alliance of Elvis Costello and the New Orleans songwriter Allen Toussaint, whose piano and Crescent City Horns carry Mr. Costello's songs south. Their fierce mambo-funk arrangement of "Bedlam" may be the first time New Orleans horns have tangled with a theremin. Dr. John gave Bonnaroo's neo-hippies a glimpse of vintage psychedelia when he appeared in full Night Tripper regalia — feathered headdress, fur-trimmed cape — with songs from his voodoo-steeped 1968 album "Gris-Gris."
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.blender.com/guide/articles.aspx?id=1965

Meet the man who drives around the country giving ice cream to rock stars.

To regular festivalgoers, Matt Allen is better known by his alias, Ice Cream Man. For the past year, Allen has been driving Bessie, his 1969 ice cream truck, around the country, slingin' cream backstage, meeting his idols and fulfilling his goal of being the world's most famous man to drive a truck that jingles. He gave us the scoop (get it?) on what fulfills Bonnaroo's biggest names' sweet teeth.

( extract)

Elvis Costello: "Everyone knows, and everyone loves, Elvis Costello. It's cool doing this job — you strip down your emotions and personality. Once you're backstage, you're just a real person. I just looked at him and said, 'Wow. You're looking good.' That was the first thing out of my mouth. I gave him some ice cream — I had some secret stuff from Julie's Organic on board. It was organic vanilla ice cream with dark chocolate and almonds. It didn't take too much talking into."

http://www.juliesorganic.com/pints.shtml
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Bollocks to all that organic shite, it looks like our Dec is partaking of a fine HB Almond Magnum

Magnum Almond
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase ... d%3A402882

Music: September 15, 2006

What's So Funny About Peace, Love, and Ice Cream?

Matt Allen's free flavors are guaranteed to satisfy
By Austin Powell

The "Miracle Man," Elvis Costello, prefers a vanilla ice cream bar dipped in rich, dark chocolate with almonds. Ben Gibbard of Death Cab for Cutie has a sweet tooth for Bomb Pops, while Wilco songsmith Jeff Tweedy goes for shark-shaped Great White Lemon Ice Popsicles. Jim James's craving for fudge bars links back to My Morning Jacket's Chocolate and Ice EP. Kanye West, Arcade Fire, Sufjan Stevens, and the Dears all favor organic flavors of Julie's renowned ice cream bars.

Matt Allen has served them all. Since 2004, he has trekked more than 15,000 miles from his Southern California headquarters in a 1969 Chevy Stepvan, christened "Bessie," to hand out free ice cream at the country's largest music festivals. In other words, Matt Allen is not just an ice cream man. He's the Ice Cream Man.

"The term has over 50 years of goodwill attached to it, yet there's no face; there's no image, no brand, no company, no logo, there's nothing," cries Allen. "My idea was that I could make myself Ice Cream Man so that when people think of ice cream, they'll think of me, my logo, my company."

This week he adds the Austin City Limits Music Festival to his roster.

Allen was aboard the Queen Mary when a then-unknown Wolf Parade was unceremoniously kicked off the ship for reckless behavior (hence the name of the band's Sub Pop debut, Apologies to the Queen Mary). He distributed ice cream outside the Beastie Boys surprise gig at Stubb's during SXSW in March. He was backstage at Bonnaroo when Stevie Nicks joined Tom Petty for "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around." At Wakarusa, he was an enchanted alien extra on stage, dancing to the Flaming Lips' "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Part Two." Most recently, he was the reason Jack White of the Raconteurs told 40,000 fans at Lollapalooza that there was free ice cream at the festival.

"People grow up and think they have to give up the things that made them happy when they were younger," says Allen, who has, to date, given away more than 50,000 frozen treats. "That makes absolutely no sense to me."
Fresh Cream

Allen, who won't disclose his age but must hover around 30, is the quintessential Toys "R" Us kid. He finds happiness in life's small wonders. He plays kickball; he does the happy dance. With free-flowing floppy hair and thrift-store threads, he resembles an elementary student allowed to pick his own outfit for the day. His venture, meanwhile, has grown from a one-man operation into a roving national network of like-minded individuals and companies who support Allen's desire to change the world one smile at a time.

In many ways, he's the last great explorer; a wonderer who gets by on kindness and karma. He has hiked the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine and the Pacific Coast Trail from Mexico to Canada. He went on a cross-country roller coaster trip, conquering almost 100 in 30 days. When his mother was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2001, he biked from his hometown in Long Beach, Calif., all the way to Maine to raise money for cancer research. Some people send postcards from the places they visit; Allen creates hubs, spreading the vision of Ice Cream Man to all he encounters.

The enterprise began as a summer job while attending college in Durango, Colo., and consisted of a three-wheel bike, a cooler, and a boom box. After graduation, Allen pursued his Willy Wonka dream of working at a chocolate factory in Ashland, Ore., before buying Bessie for $1,200 and becoming "a classic ice cream man," more Jonathan Richman than Tom Waits or Van Halen, "trying to make a buck in your typical Americana town."

After a difficult first full season of serving, he threw an ice cream social to clear out inventory, but the overwhelming response triggered an epiphany.

"There was a line the length of a football field, all ages, waiting for free ice cream, and everyone was just so happy," Allen recounts. "If I'm not going to make any money selling ice cream, why not find a way to give it away?"

Ice Cream Man returned home and began seeking sponsorships, on a project-by-project basis, to cover the cost of slinging cream at local events like Coachella and ArthurFest. The equation itself hasn't varied since: more sponsors, more free ice cream. Consequently, Allen name-drops sponsors the way musicians do release dates – Guitar Center, Fruitiki, GameFly, Capitol Publishing, Jakprints, Rhapsody, Julie's Organic Ice Cream, Mochi Ice Cream – while Bessie doubles as billboard. The business is based on an attempt to break even, but that's no picnic.

"I'm living in my mom's house right now," Allen wails. "I sold my 1969 Chrysler Newport. I've sold nearly everything I've owned to make this happen, and it's still going.

"The purpose is to show people that nontraditional business ideas can succeed; there are ways to do it. You can achieve your dreams. You can love your job. You can make a difference. I want to live by example, to inspire and motivate people to do things."
Local Licks

Before heeding the call of the Ice Cream Man, Allen, spurred by late-night ventures to Sam's BBQ on a visit to Austin, moved here to help reopen the Hole in the Wall in 2003. As general manager, he, along with Paul Minor, booked a batch of shows, including a double bill of Scott H. Biram and Daniel Johnston, to celebrate the club's 30th anniversary. Shortly thereafter, the relationship melted, and he left both the Drag-bound live music venue and bar, as well as Central Texas.

He's kept his foot in Austin's door ever since. For SXSW 06, Allen utilized both the Hole and Cream Vintage to throw one huge, scrumptious ice cream social that featured intimate performances from Islands, Two Gallants, Mazarin, and Envelopes, to name a few.

"I never just want to go to something," Allen says. "I want to contribute; I want to be a part of what makes it special."

Ice Cream Man's hub here in town remains one of his strongest. A crew of roughly one dozen volunteers has helped with everything from local show reviews for IceCreamMan.com, to tossing ice cream from the main stage at the Sasquatch! Music Festival in Washington's Gorge. "It feels like a collective kind of deal, like we're all part of something much bigger than just music or ice cream," says Aaron Zachs, a graduate student at UT and frequent Ice Cream Man contributor. "I support Matt in whatever the hell he chooses to do."

While Allen's trying to work out deals with some of his routine sponsors for this weekend's ACL Fest, like Julie's Organic Ice Cream and Fruitiki, he's craving Austin's famed Amy's Ice Creams in his van's freezer. "I've always given away single-serve treats, but I've never scooped ice cream from Bessie before," he admits. "If we had Amy's on board, I'd eat a boatload of it.
The Scoop Backstage

Most nights, Allen strews an inflatable mattress over the freezers in his ice cream truck and falls asleep. "You find ways to make it happen," he shrugs. "You sleep on the side of the road, sleep at Wal-Mart, sleep at rest stops, get kicked out of parking lots at 3am 'cause you're not supposed to be there. It's life."

It's a miracle Allen even makes it to each festival. Bessie has neither air conditioning nor cruise control, and in the last year the vehicle has needed a new ignition system, carburetor, engine, brakes, radiator, and tires. For each city he travels to, Allen must track down enough ice cream to dish out and garner the necessary permits to do so.

At Bonnaroo, the nation's largest music festival, Bessie was feeding the frenzy from the backstage bonanza, Lewis Black knocking 'em down at the open bar, Thurston Moore and Stephen Malkmus dining together in the catering tent, Steel Train practicing their swings in the batting cage. Security guards lined the gates armed with Bomb Pops. Disco Biscuits, Magic Numbers, Devendra Banhart, and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah all hovered around the truck, a clear kinship felt between the Ice Cream Man's grassroots approach and their own DIY principles. Allen was like a kid at recess, enthusiastically greeting each passerby. His smile never faded as the words "free ice cream" stopped most everyone dead in their tracks.

"We show up and give away thousands of free ice creams at no cost to the promoters," Allen explains. "We give it away to everyone who makes the festival possible: security, staff, artists, everyone. All we ask is to be taken care of with passes for our crew, writers, and photographers."

The system never fails. Over the course of three days, Ice Cream Man gave out more than 2,500 treats while his crew – three photographers, three staffers, and a pair of writers – took more than 7,000 digital photos and penned reviews of nearly every performance for the Ice Cream Man Web site (http://www.icecreamman.com). For his loyal volunteer staff, the experience pays for itself, and very well.

"It's a once in a lifetime opportunity to be there and to shoot Tom Petty," says Jeremiah Garcia, a professional photographer whose work for Ice Cream Man has been picked up by Vice Magazine and Arthur Magazine. "There's room to do anything you want or can do, and when he can repay you, he will. It won't be monetary, but you'll be paid back tenfold. This past year has been the best year of my life."
The Rocky Road to ACL

If smiles are contagious, it's no wonder people like Lollapalooza and ACL promoter Charles Attal are eager for another visit from Ice Cream Man. "How could you not have great things to say about a guy who gives away good, free ice cream?" ponders Austin's Attal. "I'm still wondering what the catch is."

The catch, of course, is that there isn't one, and slowly large businesses are beginning to covet Ice Cream Man's chocolate-coated philanthropy. Toyota recently converted two Yaris hatchbacks into tricked out "Bessitas" that dish the goods at the company's various promotions. "These vehicles get three to four times the gas mileage and can hold 400 pieces of ice cream and additional coolers, which we could put more ice cream in if need be," Allen enthuses.

Though life behind the wheel may soon become a bit more comfortable for Allen, the road goes on forever for an ice cream man. "These sponsorships barely cover our costs, and it's for a very short period of time," explains Allen. "I don't know how it's going to work. Rock & roll and being backstage was never a part of the initial plan."

That hasn't altered Allen's goal of distributing half a million frozen treats or his dream to take Ice Cream Man overseas.

"Either you go through your life thinking you can change the world or thinking you cannot," posits Allen. "If those are the only two options, how can you not at least try?

"I have faith. I'm meant to do this. ... I can do this." end story