Rank When I Was Cruel

Pretty self-explanatory
King Hoarse

Rank When I Was Cruel

Post by King Hoarse »

WIWC is one of the records I listen to most often (with a few skips here and there), and the first two songs are among my EC faves, but due to the sketchy nature of many of the tracks (not necessarily negative) my preferences on this one tend to change more with my moods than on other records of his. That said, here goes:

1. When I Was Cruel No.2 (masterpiece, period)
2. Episode Of Blonde (I hope he plays it more often now that the great North Sea version is officially released)
3. Spooky Girlfriend (should have been a single with a dark sexy video where cliché hip hop models' faces gradually get computer-twisted...imho)
4. 15 Petals (gotta love those ethiopique rhythms and horns)
5. Daddy Can I Turn This? (can't get enough of that big stupid riff first heard on the Complicated Shadows instrumental coda)
6. Alibi (sometimes further down because it often feels too repetitive for a record version. The earlier live solo lyric was enough, and then again, the sound and playing is excellent here as well as the vocal take)
7. Tear Off Your Own Head (a lot of fun, great groove...& Revolution Doll is just as enjoyable)
8. Dust II... (great jam live)
9. Dust (ahh, those horns again...)
10. Soul For Hire (underrated song that suffers for being placed after WIWC#2)
11. 45 (also much better live & a weak opener in my book. I know most of you won't agree, though.)
12. Tart (love the bass and verse lyrics, don't like the loud chorus)
13. Radio Silence (one of my fave lyrics on the record but the tune sorta drags in this arrangement)
14. My Little Blue Window (fine enough, but a little out of place on the record)
15. Dissolve (tacky lyric and not much of a tune, this adds nothing to the record except tempo, a bit of sneer and some wild harmonica; is this perhaps Elvis' first obvious filler?)
16. Oh Well (fitting title...too much of the same, and def. lesser than its melodic cousins)

I chose to rank Dust II...Dust as two seperate tracks like on the album just because I'd like to know which version most of you prefer, the one with the major key change (Dust II...placed first on the record to add to the confusion) or the one with the horns (...Dust). I remember doing this on the old board when the record just came out and being surprised that some actually ranked the two versions several tracks apart. I mean, the lyrics aren't radically different, they have the same time signature & basic melody and the tempos are probably very close too. Maybe those were "why two?" statements. Oh well...

If most of you choose not to include Oh Well I'll leave that out of the resluts. It's not on my CD, so it felt a bit dumb including it.

That much better outtake When I Was Cruel No. 1 would've been in the Top 5, b.t.w, and it would have made the record if not more accessible, then at least less melodically monotonous.
Last edited by King Hoarse on Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What this world needs is more silly men.
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Interesting. I think that's a weak record, myself...one of his worst. I agree that 'WIWC No. 1' would be one of its best songs and should have remained on the album (does anyone know the thinking behind its omission---?)

1. When I Was Cruel No.2. I agree this is a masterpiece, with its parade of fully-realized characters and its devastating self-reflexive turn at the end ('look at ME now...'). Great stuff, worthy of Dylan himself.
2. Spooky Girlfriend. Speaks for itself.
3. Tear Off Your Own Head. Lyrically obtuse. But groovy, and catchy, and weird.
4. 45. A rhyme too many, maybe, but a nifty little song.
5. Tart. Not as great as it needs to be, but good. I can't understand the missed opportunity for punning here.
6. Episode of Blonde. A gorgeous chorus, strangely juxtaposed to the unmelodic but entertaining verses. This burial of the choruses would be less enervating on a record with a higher number of memorable melodies.
7. Dust II. Like most of the songs on here, this comes off as more of a soulless writing exercise than anything really impassioned or necessary, but it has a good, ominous sound and I always liked the melody (incredibly, I came up with precisely the same tune years ago on a tune I later abandoned!).
8. My Little Blue Window. A solid piece of songwriting ruined for me by the plodding, dead-weight performance. It needs to speed up a bit.

That's it for what, in my opinion, are EC-worthy songs on that record.

9. Dissolve. A throwaway, fun enough, nothing terribly gripping. The last verse kicks ass, though. The song might work better as a 'Honey are you Straight'-type rave-up on a stronger record, surrounded by superior songs.
10. 15 Petals. Not very interesting lyrically or melodically. The horns are great but do not a song make.
11. Soul for Hire. Another 'writing exercise' without real feeling.
12. Alibi. A fine 3-minute pop song inexplicably dragged to a lingering, painful death, with minimal development, against an uninteresting musical setting. A real disaster in this version - this cut more than any other shows how far Elvis was off his game on this record IMHO.
13. Radio Silence. Tremendous lyric, but the meandering melody just drags on.
14. Daddy can I Turn This. Why does this song exist? Just pointless, boring hysteria over abstract, meaningless lyrics. Ugh.
15. Dust. Dust II is enough. This one is like an anchor in the middle of the rubber dingy that is WIWC.

I'd rate 'Oh Well' with Soul for Hire, another well-intentioned and competent, but ultimatey rather clinical, writing exercise.

Sorry, I hate to 'dis' the Man, and I don't want to crap on anyone's fabvourite record...but I really feel this CD is vastly overrated, the biggest dud since 'GCW.' (Kojak variety doesn't count). I read somewhere that he was working his way out of writer's block on this record - and I'm not surprised one bit.
Last edited by Poor Deportee on Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Poor Deportee wrote: 14. Daddy can I Turn This. Why does this song exist? Just pointless, boring hysteria over abstract, meaningless lyrics. Ugh.
15. Dust II. One Dust is enough. The second one is like an anchor in the middle of the rubber dingy that is WIWC.
Yeah, but "Dust II..." is the first one! Exactly the confusion I was expecting. Edit?

(B.t.w, I think Daddy... would be great for the stupid mighty riff alone, but I also really enjoy the sketchy horn lyric.)
randrew

Post by randrew »

Poor Deportee wrote:Interesting. I think that's a weak record, myself...one of his worst.
Hmm. I'd say it's far from one of his worst, but that's what makes horse races. I'd certainly rank it above Goodbye Cruel World and Mighty Like A Rose.

Of course, one could make an argument that nearly all of his albums not featuring the Attractions (Bruce Thomas in particular) are a little weak, particularly compared to his early work.

(current music: Dedication - Beastie Boys)
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

King Hoarse wrote:
Poor Deportee wrote: 14. Daddy can I Turn This. Why does this song exist? Just pointless, boring hysteria over abstract, meaningless lyrics. Ugh.
15. Dust II. One Dust is enough. The second one is like an anchor in the middle of the rubber dingy that is WIWC.
Yeah, but "Dust II..." is the first one! Exactly the confusion I was expecting. Edit?

(B.t.w, I think Daddy... would be great for the stupid mighty riff alone, but I also really enjoy the sketchy horn lyric.)
Whoops! OK, I'll go back an edit my remark.

I'd hate to think EC left the two 'Dusts' on the album, at the expense of WIWC No.1, just because he liked the feeble pun (Dust II...Dust). I'd really, really hate to think he could be so lame.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

001. alibi
002. episode OB
003. tart
004. 15 petals
005. wiwc no.2
006. 45
007. radio silence
008. spooky g (prefer live version)
009. tear off your own head
010. dust 2...
011. ...dust
012. soul for hire
013. my little blue window
014. daddy can i turn this?
015. dissolve
016. oh well

I love this album, top 5 for me.

Jackson will be shocked at the low ranking of blue w.
signed with love and vicious kisses
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

1. 15 petals
2. spooky girlfriend
3. episode of blonde
4. wiwc no.2
5. alibi
6. tart
7. ...dust (notice the reverse order. I like this one better).
8. my little blue window
9. dust 2...
10. 45
11. tear off your own head
12. radio silence
13. daddy can i turn this?
14. dissolve
15. soul for hire

Oh Well isn't on my US release, and I don't consider it part of the album. But if it must, then it's dead last. I think it's the weakest track. Also, I prefer WIWC #2 to WIWC #1. But that's just me.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

1. Tear Off Your Own Head
2. 45
3. Alibi
4. Daddy Can I Turn This?
5. Tart
6. Radio Silence
7. My Little Blue Window
8. Soul For Hire
9. Episode Of Blonde
10. Spooky Girlfriend
11. When I Was Cruel No. 2
12. 15 Petals
13. Dust
14. Dust 2...
15. Dissolve

I really don't like this album. 1-7 above I like all right, but nothing strikes me as Classic EC. The rest are just noise to me.

Here in the US we didn't get "Oh Well", which I'd put alongside #8, and to take it another step, I'd put "When I Was Cruel No. 1" in the top 3. But it wasn't on the album, so I can't.

Some context for those of you cursing my opinion: my top 5 are GH, Trust, IB, KoA and B&C. In the next tier are TYM, AF, MLAR, Juliet and North.
Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux

Post by Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux »

1. Episode Of Blonde
2. Spooky Girlfriend
3. When I Was Cruel No. 2
4. 15 Petals
5. My Little Blue Window
6. Tart
7. Alibi
8. 45
9. Daddy Can I Turn This?
10. Dust
11. Dust 2...
12. Tear Off Your Own Head
13. Radio Silence
14. Soul For Hire
15. Dissolve

Many of these songs are much more enjoyable live than on the CD versions. The upside to this album is that it ushered in the Imposters era that has included a nice helping of great concerts. The downside is that the album kinda sucks to listen to. This isn't the first album that has suffered from shit-ola production. Feel free to dissent! :)
legman open to offers

Re: Rank When I Was Cruel

Post by legman open to offers »

King Hoarse wrote:
If most of you choose not to include Oh Well I'll leave that out of the resluts. It's not on my CD, so it felt a bit dumb including it.
heh heh, he said resluts. :shock:
Now I'm the invisible man, and you can't see me.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

no, no! leave it in, so those who have it (we'll call them the resluts) can feel morally superior to those who don't! :lol:
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Let's see. Not one of my faves, but here goes:

1. When I Was Cruel No. 2
2. Spooky Girlfriend
3. Episode Of Blonde
4. My Little Blue Window
5. Tart
6. 15 Petals
7. Tear Off Your Own Head
8. Dust
9. 45
10. Radio Silence
11. Alibi
12. Daddy Can I Turn This?
13. Dissolve
14. Soul For Hire
15. Dust 2...
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

I know this isn't interesting to anyone, but on my iPod this is the tracklist:

1. My Dark Life
2. Tear Off Your Own Head
3. Spooky Girlfriend
4. When I Was Cruel no. 2
5 When I Was Cruel no. 1
6. 15 Petals
7. Tart
8. Dust II
10. Alibi
11. 45
12. Soul For Hire
13. Episode Of Blonde
14. Radio Silence
Masterpiece?

Post by Masterpiece? »

One of my fave EC albums. Manages to skirt the fence of overproduction that others (particularly MLAR) were toppled from.

1. When I Was Cruel No. 2 (Masterpiece? ;) )
2. 15 Petals (He tried to warn us all was not well)
3. Tear Off Your Own Head
4. Episode Of Blonde
5. Dust 2...
6. Spooky Girlfriend
7. 45
8. Radio Silence
9. Dissolve
10. Tart
11. Daddy Can I Turn This?
12. My Blue Window
13. Dust
14. Soul For Hire
15. Alibi
Everybody's hiding under covers... who's making Lover's Lane safe again for lovers?"
wolfcat

Post by wolfcat »

1. Tart
2. 15 Petals
3. Alibi
4. 45
5. Dust 2...
6. Radio Silence
7. Spooky Girlfriend
8. Dust
10. Soul For Hire
11. When I Was Cruel No. 2
12. Episode Of Blonde
13. Tear Off Your Own Head
14. My Blue Window
15. Dissolve

I think the only two real clunkers are Blue Window & Dissolve
"With one eye on her place
in debtor's prison
And the other on a girl dressed as a rabbit".
guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices »

my EC tastes run poles apart usually from lifelong fans. that said, I can't can't can't can't can't CAN'T believe all the love for 15 Petals. It's like Ricky Martin, but shitty(er). Episode Of Blonde simliarly gets on my nerves. Top of my head rankings:

the classic:
1. WIWC

The good'uns
2. 45
3. Spooky Girlfriend
4. Tart
5. Alibi
6. Doll's Revolution

no impression made:
7. My Blue Window
8. Radio Silence
9. Dissolve
10. Dust
11. Dust 2... (couldn't tell you which is which)
12. Soul For Hire
13. Daddy Can I Turn This?

can't stand at all:
14. Episode Of Blonde
15. Petals
we have powerlines in our bloodlines
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

15 Petals has this Ethiopian horn thing that I find utterly irresistable. Ricky Martin doesn't enter into it.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

15 Petals
My Little Blue Window
When I Was Cruel No. 2
Episode Of Blonde
Radio Silence
Dissolve
Dust 2...
Dust
Daddy Can I Turn This?
Tear Off Your Own Head
Spooky Girlfriend
Tart
Alibi
Soul For Hire

Tart , Alibi and Soul For Hire should have been cut from the album completely. Tear Off Your Own Head and 45 lose points for being rather "Costello by Numbersish" and My Little Blue Window and 15 Petals are among the best things he's ever done.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Spooky Girlfriend
WIWC No. 2
Tart
Episode of Blonde
15 Petals
My Little Blue Window
Tear Off Your Own Head
Daddy Can I Turn This?
Alibi
Radio Silence
Dust 2...
..Dust
Soul For Hire
Dissolve

Not a big fan of the 'jams' of Dissolve and the Dust twins, although they are fun live I guess. 'Spooky Girlfriend' really grew on me over time, and now its my fave, followed very closely by the next 4. Agree with someone earlier who said that if Alibi had withstood some editing it would be a fave, but its too long and monotonous to stand repeated listenings, unlike the similarly long and monotonous (but riveting) I Want You. And how 'bout some love for Tart!!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Episode of Blonde. the horns, the piano, the biting lyrics - what's not to love?
My Little Blue Window
Tart
When I Was Cruel No. 2 - his James Bond song.
Dust 2...
Dust (I like that pun
Tear Off Your Own Head
Radio Silence
Soul for Hire
Spooky Girlfriend
Daddy Can I Turn This?
Alibi
Dissolve
15 Petals
Like me, the "g" is silent.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

01. Episode of Blonde
02. WIWC No. 2
03. My Little Blue Window
04. 45
05. Tear Off Your Own Head
06. Spooky Girlfriend
07. 15 Petals
08. Alibi
09. Soul For Hire
10. Dust 2
11. Tart
12. Dust
13. Radio Silence
14. Daddy Can I Turn This?
15. Dissolve
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

1. episode of blonde
2. alibi
3. 45
4. wiwc no.2
5. tart
6. soul for hire
7. my little blue window
8. 15 petals
9. spooky girlfriend
10. ...dust
11. dust 2...
12. radio silence
13. dissolve
14. daddy can i turn this?
15. tear off your own head

This is a good record, not something to listen to all the way through. I usually toggle between the first nine songs above, the other songs rarely jump out at me.
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
RinghioStarr

Post by RinghioStarr »

"What a boring album".
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Are you quoting someone, or is that your opinion?
--William Shakespeare
Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux

Post by Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux »

RinghioStarr wrote:"What a boring album".
"Very astute commentary." :roll: