Four Score and Three Years Ago (yesterday)

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
mood swung

Four Score and Three Years Ago (yesterday)

Post by mood swung »

Women here in the U.S. were granted the right to vote. Go us!!

How many are voting Bush next year? 8)
Like me, the "g" is silent.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

and don't forget to celebrate Citizenship Day on 9/17! :lol:
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Is there a Hallmark card for that? :)
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

mood swung wrote:Four score and three years ago (yesterday) women here in the U.S. were granted the right to vote. Go us!!

I know there's a joke to be found there, but I find I'm not brave enough to attempt it.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
mood swung

you know you want to...

Post by mood swung »

oh, come on now. be brave. one word in front of the other.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Susan B. Anthony, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Carrie Chapman Catt, Sojourner Truth, and the rest...you go, girls!

How many of them would have voted for Bush?

Discuss amongst yourselves.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Tomorrow is the 4oth anniversary of Martin Luther King's "I Have A Dream" speech, given during the March on Washington.

To the suffragettes who fought for women's voting rights, and to Dr. King.

Our money should be graced with more portraits of people like them.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Quite right everyone... thank goodness that those brave women did what they did, and brought about equality...

the only shame nowadays is that many people flaunt their right to vote because they feel no connection to the liars and charlatans that are supposedly representing them.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

HungupStrungup wrote:
mood swung wrote:Four score and three years ago (yesterday) women here in the U.S. were granted the right to vote. Go us!!

I know there's a joke to be found there, but I find I'm not brave enough to attempt it.
I'll say it...more "bush" for everyone!! :lol:
lipstickvogue

Post by lipstickvogue »

W is evil.

Did any of you notice that TWO WEEKS after he passed his stellar "No Child Left Behind Act" he started cutting the funding for it?

This week he's turning around the headway Carter made by forcing oil companies to add pollution reducers to their buldings. (Oil, Bush - could there be a connection?)

He's also in the process of killing overtime pay for hours worked over 40...another great idea to help families (surely not big buisness). As soon as this passes in the senate do you think Americans will wake up and shake off the good-ole-boy Howdy Dudey Charm as their paychecks shrink?

Sadly, I doubt many will turn off Jerry Springer long enough to notice...defenately not lng enough to actually DO anything about it.

Maybe I'll go North too. :roll:
it's always another day after twelve o'clock's struck
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

It's a funny thing...haven't voted in Eons, but after what Bush has done to this country, you can be DAMNED sure I'll be at the polls this time, just to make sure I vote AGAINST that front-running son-of-a-bush...

:evil:
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
lipstickvogue

Post by lipstickvogue »

Goody2Shoes wrote:Susan B. Anthony, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Carrie Chapman Catt, Sojourner Truth, and the rest...you go, girls!
after that post I'm gonna HAVE to add sulkygirl to the above list :)
it's always another day after twelve o'clock's struck
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

When I was paying my son's dental bill last Tuesday, Canada was looking REALLY good.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
A rope leash

Bumper sticker

Post by A rope leash »

LICK BUSH in '04!
uselessbeauty?

Post by uselessbeauty? »

that is hands down the best campaign slogan i have ever heard.
now if only the masses will follow it. here's to the ousting of the true 'axis of evil'
i knew they were going to fire me after i stole the eighteen wheeler. so i quit first.
true story
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

noiseradio wrote:When I was paying my son's dental bill last Tuesday, Canada was looking REALLY good.
I know what ya mean, noise...my mom lives about 14 miles from the Canadian border, goes there to have ALL of her dental work done at a fraction of the cost we pay down here...

Thanks to Mr. Bush, our state now judges their basic insurance on a monthy to month basis. After my hubby & I got raises last month (right in the middle of the boy-childs dental woes), they announced we now make $1000 a year TOO MUCH to qualify. So, everything has to be cash out of pocket now, last appointment alone cost $326 for 3 single-surface fillings---many more to come!!

The previous appointment (4 Major, multi-surface fillings, the day AFTER my insurance was cancelled)...well, they seem to be so far behind on their bookeeping, that they couldn't find the charges. I can only hope that maybe, JUST MAYBE! they NEVER find them.

But I am ROYALLY PISSED at Mr. B about all of this...

Oh, and that "Advanced Child Care Credit" ya'all got in the mail this year? BE VERY CAREFUL on next years taxes. When you go to take your alloted Child Care Credit, MAKE SURE YOU SUBTRACT THE AMOUNT OF THAT CHECK form what you THINK you have coming...Uncle Sam will come back at you later & tell you you actually OWE money (this happened to me in the first year of the Bush Administration...they forgot to add the fine print in the notice that came with the check that it would count AGAINST the next year's taxes, ended up w/ a shitload of interest & penalties).

'Nuff said. Ya'all know how I feel about this jerk now...

:evil:
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."