Adaptation

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
ice nine

Adaptation

Post by ice nine »

I watched the excellent movie Adaptation. I find that the books that the film was based upon is usaully better than the movie. I know that the book it is based upon, The Orchid Thief is not the story of the movie, but as long as the genesis for the idea of the movie is in the book it has to be good. Has anyone read the book?

Thanks
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I got about a quarter of the way through somehow... it's an extremely dull book. I wouldn't even really say the film is based on it so much as that it features it as part of the story.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

I've only seen the film, which I liked a lot. The man of the house has seen the movie and read the book, and he agrees that the book is extraordinarily boring and self-indulgent, and nothing at all like the movie.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Another truism seems to be that book-length versions of New Yorker articles are never as good as the pieces on which they are based. I thought the original article was riveting.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

But is that really Meryl Streep naked at the end..or a body double?
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Well, I've seen Adaptation before but never noticed until today when I watched it on CityTV - there's a boy-meets-girl scene where Alison is playing in the background - and it's a fairly long scene so we get most of the song :)
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

selfmademug wrote:Another truism seems to be that book-length versions of New Yorker articles are never as good as the pieces on which they are based. I thought the original article was riveting.
Wasn't Brokeback Mountain originally a short story in the New Yorker? Or is that what you're referring to?
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

By jove I think it was. Though I didn't read it, so can't judge. Did you? How did it compare to the film?

I was thinking more of the non-fiction pieces, I guess.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

I didn't read it either, but I thought the film was beautiful.
Mechanical Grace

Ditto that.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Annie Proulx story.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Mechanical Grace

yeah.. originally in the New Yorker, as MBA noted.