New Neil Young album, 'Greendale' out today

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

New Neil Young album, 'Greendale' out today

Post by BlueChair »

The new Neil Young & Crazy Horse album 'Greendale' come out in shops today.

Today also marks the day that North Americans can finally get the remastered editions of On The Beach, American Stars 'n' Bars, Re-Ac-Tor, and Hawks & Doves.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Blah.. the lame suburban superstore didn't have Greendale or any of the reissues. Yet they felt the need to carry 50 copies of Chicago on DVD, also released today.

I decided to just order online.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Uuuuggghhh, 50 copies of Chicago. Didn't they all just melt to syrup right there on the shelf? :?
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Debating buying it. The nays: Have't bought a Young record since Mirrorball, I'm on a strict CD diet. The yays: Saw one of his European shows earlier this year which opened with the entire Greendale suite and I liked it, plus the CD comes with a DVD of the gig I was at, which is nice.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Grab the dvd edition asap, there's not that many available. I've already seen some shops with the cd edition. Its a long haul, 78 minutes, I've a feeling it'll be a grower.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

OK, if you say so... :D

I spent a stupid amount of money today on tiles... for my bathroom... arrgghhh...

"I need x amount of tiles for my toilet"
"OK but you have to buy enough tiles to cover a small runway"
"Sure, WHY NOT JUST TAKE MY CREDIT CARD AND GO NUTS!!!!!!!"
"By the way, your tiles are 50 miles away and you'll have to get them yourself if you want to see them this year"

...I have embellished this a bit.

...this is the first time in my life that I've bought tiles. There's a certain rites of passage going on. Plus I'm putting them down with my dad. It's easy (coz he does it all). Ahhhh, my first tiles. But why are they so freaking expensive??!!???

After buying the tiles I went and looked at Greendale and a bunch of cheap DVD's and put them back on the shelves.

There are a couple of things bugging me today...

The tiles will be funded by me being one of the on site docs at a big Metallica gig tomorrow. Funny. I'm going to try and see/meet The Darkness. I don't want to see any of the Foyle Brothers crowd surfing or crashing in the tent with alcohol poisoning.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

DrJ, just be sure to ask them their views on Napster and downloads!
and I had a similar rite of passage when I actually got excited about buying a washing machine!

I want this record, but I want On the Beach more, so it'll have to wait. anybody want to buy a 17 year-old? he's not good for much except inhaling mass quantities of food and staying horizontal for prolonged periods of time.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Ah, yes, tiles. Domesticated life is fun, huh Dr. J? I find myself yelling at the kids when they ride their scooters on the ceramic basement tile. It is expensive.

And sorry, Mood, I can't purchase your child. You know I have four of my own. My oldest just started high school and she just thinks she's the shit. Knows it all in less than two weeks.

But she doesn't eat much. :)

Now my three boys, that's another story.

And I just recently got excited over a lovely Maytag combo delivered to my house a few weeks ago. The washer actually washes clothes without leaking and the dryer actually gets the clothes dry!! As opposed to the pair those machines replaced.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Dr J--
A word of advice on the tiles--don't get rid of the extra ones. Put them away some place, because someone is bound to drop something heavy (read 'beer bottle') on the floor and crack your expensive tile floor. Now that you are all into tile, you will want it to match, and your particular model will certainly have been discontinued by then, 'cuz that's what they do. Then your dad can come and replace it with one of your extras.

Back to Neil....
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Many thanks for all your tile tales. Here's my day: Drove down to Kildare to pick up my tiles listening to a lot of Monkees, on the way back the sun came out and the radio played Split Enz "I Got You" and EC's "Oliver Army" back-to-back (God Bless Larry Gogan's Golden Hour). Came to the conclusion that Oliver's Army might be his best song. Walked through town (looked at Greendale again) and down to the RDS Arena to find out I was the Chief Medical Officer for 35,000 people at the Metalica gig. Didn't see a whole lot of music but had an absolute blast on the job. Everyone had black t-shit and jeans on. Ran around everywhere with my pass and walkie-talkie and ear piece. Saw Metalica's encores: They're very good at what they do. Was running around in the galley near the front of the stage for "Enter Sandmman". In summary: Lot of fun. Then I got paid. I christened the gig 'Tile Aid'.

And, oddly, my washing machine gets delivered on Friday. How do you hook one of these things up?

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

that's the delivery dude's job!
A rope leash

Handy rope

Post by A rope leash »

It's simple, DrJ. The cold water hose connects to the cold water faucet, and the hot water hose to the hot water faucet. The drain hose pretty much hangs into the drain. All of these fixures should be right there where your washer goes. Then, you plug in the electrical cord.

It's easier than actually doing laundry. Anybody at the show freak out?
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

well now wait a minute. the drain hose has to loop up higher than the hole it comes out of in the back of the washing machine or all the water will run out of your washer as soon as you put it in. unless ALL the new ones are equipped to prevent that.

ok back to metallica, no, child ebay, no, floor tile, no sappy chicago bang bang, no, greendale.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Good point, Slick... preferably into one of those large basins. And anyone ever bought parts for a washing machine? Bloody expensive. They're built to fall apart. Heavy duty ones are good if you can find one, like the ones at the dry cleaners.

I seriously dislike tiles, they have no business being around water, especially on the floor. The joins always become scummy and they beg to fall off. Stainless steel sheet is a good investment.
A rope leash

SS

Post by A rope leash »

Stainless steel for the floor? That's pretty much unheard of in these parts....
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

You can lay rubber mats or stick anti-slip stuff on it, but it's by no means common here either... by no means standard practice anywhere, I wouldn't think. You'd have to go out of your way to get someone to fabricate it for you -- cut and weld the sheets together -- but it lasts forever, looks good (best 'brushed', marine grade ss), is easy to clean, etc. A stainless steel toilet, bathtub, vanity (why do they use chipboard in bathrooms??), and everything else, would be ideal.

So, yeah, I'm really looking forward to Greendale... :lol:
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

with four kids, one dog, two cats and a sloppy husband in my house, I have seriously considered just having like rubber walls and floors with a big drain in the center so I could just wash all the crap down the drain. And concrete furniture. or maybe just lawn chairs...
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Stainless steel? I really don't want my place to look like a hospital.

Today: Tore down old tiles in bathroom, washing machine arrived, installed it (very easy) then put up a lot of new tiles in the bathroom. That a very short sentence for what was a lot of work.

One person freaked out at Metallica - just staring into the middle distance and refusing to talk. A few collapsed under the weight of their own beer and dozed while Metallica did their thing - I find that kinda funny.

Yeah, Greendale...

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

It might be kind of awesome to have a stainless steel bathroom. At parties, people would wonder what exactly they had gotten themselves into... "Do you know why she needs a stainless steel bathroom? What sort of stains is she worried about? Does blood stain tile? What if it's a lot of blood? And what about those industrial-size freezers?"
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Doesn't every bathroom have an industrial size freezer?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Boy, this thread has taken some weird turns. :)
A rope leash

Fixtures

Post by A rope leash »

Don't forget the hose!
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Hey hey I got Greendale today, with the free live DVD. I like NY but he's not an essential purchase for me. However I really like this album. the reasons are kinda specific.

I saw Neil at one of his Irish acoustic concerts in may and he opened with the 10 Greendale songs, all new and unreleased. This was news to me. I hadn't heard anything about this record or the fact that he was opening the shows this way. Well I really enjoyed Greendale that night. The hour of hits he did after pleased a lot of the crowd but the enthusiasm and description he'd put with the Greendale material was absent. Oddly, I hadn't ruined the surprise of Greendale by reading up about stuff in the net before the gig. It's rare that you can encounter a new piece of music like that without any external bias and make an opinion.

Because of all this I had an attachment to Greendale even before the record came out.

So I was curious for the recorded version but I stalled because reviewws were mixed and it's an electric record with Crazy Horse. I've now listened to the album and I like it but I think I prefer the acoutic greendale, the great thing is though that the free DVD (which I've just finished) is of the exact same gig I was at. I was sitting beside one of the cameras so some of the shots even recreate my view for me. It's very odd to relive a gig after a delayed period of time.

Overall, i think it's great. I have a great reminder of the gig and it will also remind me of the time I tiled my bathroom...

(Today, while tiling/whatever I listened to Station to Station as well. I'd forgotten how great it is. It kicks Low's ass. Let's all admit that the second side of Low is pants and get on with it.)

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I ordered Greendale and On The Beach online. For some reason, On The Beach shipped already, but Greendale hasn't.

Anyway, I got On The Beach today and it's definitely one of Neil's best. It's too bad many of his fans have never heard it, but hopefully now that it's widely available on CD that will change.
shabbydoll

Post by shabbydoll »

American washing machines are really something. My mother has this gigantic top loader. Over here it would be industrial. Mine broke but I had someone fix it for £65. Geez, I'm starting to bore myself.