Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:What team will jose play against Colchester?
Well first we need to get past Everton.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote:Remind me again who ManU are playing the Champions League.
We have other silverware to be worrying about! At least Arsenal can't cheat us out of the FA Cup this year. Very satisfying. Rio in central midfield. Interesting. Richardson showing great promise.
Oh dear Otis my old pal.

IT WAS WOLVES!!
corruptio optimi pessima
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

...and before you say it..........yes, we were knocked out by Leicester...

How? Someone please tell me how that happened?
corruptio optimi pessima
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

You're just starting to hit true form?
Now you've got less than 2,000 midfielders fighting for a place the others have become complacent?
Jol is a dumb rotten foreigner and doesn't understand the importance of the F.A.Cup?
Defoe has lost it, Mido is away and Keane is patchy.
The Polish feller from Derby is crap, even the dead Polish pope knows that.
Not so Jolly anymore.

You asked.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Hmmm. Bolton and Wigan wasn't it? You're lot have never been good with teams from the North-West... :lol: :lol: Don't like it up em those Frenchies!

The bit about the Polish bloke was true...I'll give you that.
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

On yesterday's form, we can do it. You're just jealous cos Arsenal wnet out twice and Arsene has given up to the point that he thinks a half-assed team can beat the likes of Bolton. The fool!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Lets be honest and not beat about the bush.

Wenger is a total twat! :lol:
corruptio optimi pessima
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Jol is a twerp nah nah - nah nah nah
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

...and Gordon is a moron.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

....and Walcott is a Walnut

Ok....enough already
corruptio optimi pessima
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I'm going to Valencia on Saturday 11th February for a long weekend and have seen that Valencia are playing Barcelona on 12th (it is coincidence that it is near Valentines Day). The Valencia ground is 50m from the hotel we are staying at.

The big two part question is

1 Should I try and get a ticket or
2 Should I try and get two tickets so that Mrs VG will enjoy it too?

Otis (or anyone) - any idea how easy/difficult it will be to try and get a ticket when I'm there? The English websites advertise tickets for ridiculous prices.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Here's a thing, for Jam and Footie fans (VG and SLL I suspect are in both camps).

I was listening to one of my faves, 'Setting Sons' today for the first time in ages. Saturday's Kids has the well-worn line:

"Saturday's boys live life with insults, drink lots of beers and wait for half-time results" :?

How can it be a result at half-time? Never noticed that before, although I've always suspected that Weller was never a real footie fan, so it makes sense.
corruptio optimi pessima
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Heard him on the radio recently saying he hadn't been to Chelsea for 35 years, but that he was going again soon cos his daughter wnated to go. He also said that he loved football when he was young but that once he got into music that that took over, and sport took a back seat.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote:How can it be a result at half-time? Never noticed that before, although I've always suspected that Weller was never a real footie fan, so it makes sense.
He probably means half-time scores, but that doesn't fit with the lyric, so...

BTW Weller is a football fan and Chelsea supporter.

PS: Didn't realize it had been that long since he'd been to the Bridge
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
Jackson Monk wrote:How can it be a result at half-time? Never noticed that before, although I've always suspected that Weller was never a real footie fan, so it makes sense.
He probably means half-time scores, but that doesn't fit with the lyric, so...

BTW Weller is a football fan and Chelsea supporter.

PS: Didn't realize it had been that long since he'd been to the Bridge
Well, there's a few other 'Chelsea' fans who hadn't been there for 35 years until Roman took over!... :lol: Yellow socks and empty white elephant stands in the 80s spring to mind!

Why didn't he just write:

"Saturday's boys live life with insults, drink lots of beers and wait for Full-time results"
corruptio optimi pessima
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

"Talk to Jan in Bingo Accents" -

what does that mean exactly?
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote:Well, there's a few other 'Chelsea' fans who hadn't been there for 35 years until Roman took over!... :lol: Yellow socks and empty white elephant stands in the 80s spring to mind!

Why didn't he just write:

"Saturday's boys live life with insults, drink lots of beers and wait for Full-time results"
I'll ask next time I see him. :wink: Maybe they have a wager on the half-time score. :?:

Stamford Bridge in the late 70s-'80s wasn't exactly the most welcoming football ground in the world from the sound of it. In fact, it was a bit of a shithole from all accounts. Not to mention the fact that the club was heaving under debt fom the East Stand, or that it was at one point just a goal away from Division 3. How many would turn out at WHL if you were dead broke and at the bottom of Division 2?
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Well, we were broke and in the old second division in the late 70s and we sold out every week. Check out the highlights of out 9-0 win against Bristol Rovers.....we were swinging from the rafters!

Anyway, I have no problem with Chelsea rising from ashes. I quite enjoy watching Mourinho rub Fergie and Wenger's noses in the dirt, and listening to their clubs moaning about how unfair it is. The same two clubs who used financial muscle to poach Beckham from Spurs and Pennant from several other clubs.

To more immendiate matters. Half time at Craven Cottage and the question arises again - what the fuck is that Old log from Poland (no disrespect to you IP, but he moves like an OAP) doing in our young frsh team. He has to be the biggest plank of wood I've seen since Willie Young!

ps. Where's Gilli these days. I want to remind her that Kanoute at least scored and won the ball in the air occasionally!
corruptio optimi pessima
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Jackson Monk wrote: To more immendiate matters. Half time at Craven Cottage and the question arises again - what the fuck is that Old log from Poland (no disrespect to you IP, but he moves like an OAP) doing in our young frsh team. He has to be the biggest plank of wood I've seen since Willie Young!
Funny 'cos 'log', 'wood' and 'plank' are indeed what 90% of Polish football fans call him. It may sound cruel but he has become a hero of countless sport posts here. At one place there was a call to find movies he could play in and people came up with titles like "Gone With The Wood", "Dancing With A Plank" or "Lord Of The Woods".
I almost felt sorry for the guy.
Anyway, most Polish fans just don't understand why Poland's national coach still often sees him in the first line-up. Apparently he thinks, just like Jol, that there has to be one tall striker in the team.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Groooooaaaannnn. :x

Totally dominant and then lose in the last minute. We so miss Mido.

Referee a bit of a tosser, but that happens. We should have won comfortably.

Huddlestone looks the business. Let's see ,more of him.

Best part of tonight was Jol being quizzed after the game:

Interviewer: So are you still hopeful of signing Danny Murphy before the deadline?

Jol: (being evasive) We still have two hours of the window, we'll see what happens with transfers.

Interviewer: So is there a chance of a deal?

Jol: (even more evasive) We have one...with Ghaly (Egyptian midfielder signed earlier today).

Interviewer: So Murphy isn't dead yet

Jol: No, last time I saw him, he was very much alive...

:) :lol:

Come on the Hammers!!!
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

verbal gymnastics wrote:The big two part question is

1 Should I try and get a ticket or
2 Should I try and get two tickets so that Mrs VG will enjoy it too?

Otis (or anyone) - any idea how easy/difficult it will be to try and get a ticket when I'm there? The English websites advertise tickets for ridiculous prices.
So if you go for 1, what would Mrs VG say? Is she into footie? It would be wasted on Mrs OW, though she might enjoy the atmosphere, but I couldn't imaagine heading off for a match and meeting up a couple of hours later when on a romantic weekend break (not that we have those any more ...).

No idea how hard it would be, but would guess that Barcelona would be a total sell-out. I recall going along to buy a ticket for Real Madrid v Barca in '86, no problem at all, even if I was way up in the clouds. These days you need contacts to do that! Should be a good game though.

BWAP: I've always loved that line, it's just so English and vivid. Just paints a picture of loud, contented folk, a bit 'common' maybe, which Weller could get away with being a working class Woking boy.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

invisible Pole wrote:
Jackson Monk wrote: To more immendiate matters. Half time at Craven Cottage and the question arises again - what the fuck is that Old log from Poland (no disrespect to you IP, but he moves like an OAP) doing in our young frsh team. He has to be the biggest plank of wood I've seen since Willie Young!
Funny 'cos 'log', 'wood' and 'plank' are indeed what 90% of Polish football fans call him. It may sound cruel but he has become a hero of countless sport posts here. At one place there was a call to find movies he could play in and people came up with titles like "Gone With The Wood", "Dancing With A Plank" or "Lord Of The Woods".
I almost felt sorry for the guy.
Anyway, most Polish fans just don't understand why Poland's national coach still often sees him in the first line-up. Apparently he thinks, just like Jol, that there has to be one tall striker in the team.
Sound like Rasiak is the Slavisa Jokanovic of White Hart Lane. Poor bastard.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Honestly, I've never seen such a fish out of water. He needs to be put out of his misery and quickly. If ever anyone needed evidence of the difference between Premiership and Championship, he is your man. He scored 17 goals for Derby last year. He could be out there for weeks in the prem without getting a sniff. He looks like he's about to fall over (which he fequently does) with nervousness every time he gets close to the ball.

At one point he ran towards a free header in the middle of the park. Not a soul near him. He completely missed it!

The saddest (but vicously amusing) aspect of the games last night was the Spurs fans giving ironic cheers on the two occasions he won a header :cry:

Sell him to Portsmouth....no, give him to Portsmouth.
corruptio optimi pessima
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Didn't see the superb Fulham victory last night, but the report on the Radio said that Fulham deserved to win. Been wearing those rose-tinted glasses again JacksonMonk? So Tottenham got Murphy, another mediocre midfielder to vie with the mediocre midfielders you already have, and replaces the mediocre midfielders you just offloaded. What's it all about?
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Hmmm. Yeah right. What station was that then? Radio Voyeur FM?

To more important matters :lol: :lol:

Looks like your 'Superstar' midfield could do with a few of our 'mediocre' bunch, judging from tonight's abject display. I mean, to be beaten by our rejects (Zamora, Konchesky, Sheringham and Ethrington) shows how average you've become. :lol: :D

As for Lehmann, is there a more despicable shit? He's right up there with Robbie Savage.

And to cap it all, I hear that Judas S.Cumball flounced off in a sulk in the middle of the match. Ha ha ha.

Champions League....you're having a laugh!
corruptio optimi pessima