The Recommendation Game

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I never got further than Where Were You? from, I guess 1979. Utter classic. Heard it on Peel, on a small indie, of course, got laughed at school for trying to be obscure. 'I was standing in the queue, where were you?' etc. Subsequent things I heard on Peel never matched up. Like Orange Juice and many others, the early raw stuff always seemed the best.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

El Vez, I have a two-disc compilation of Mekons stuff called Heaven & Hell. That's a good place to start - their albums are sort of all over the map and some are available as import only. If you want a single disc, I'd go for The Mekons Rock 'N' Roll, from 1989. I used to have this on cassette and wore it out when I was in college.

Anybody know anything about Richmond Fontaine? I've heard some very good things about their latest disc, The Fitzgerald and am tempted to see if I can pick up a used copy.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

selfmademug wrote:Bump!

Someone should give me some pointers re Ladytron and/or ask for their own recommendations....
Oh gosh, I haven't been reading the thread, sorry! Miss Black and her Friends is probably best; I think there is some crossover with 604, but I don't know exactly how much. Light & Magic isn't bad either, but I like Miss Black better.

But I am too overwhelmed with other stuff to ask for music recommendations...
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Paul Weller - where to start?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Wildwood is a great record and I really the like Live Wood too - and probably Stanley Road, but Im not a Weller expert by any means.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Hi new album isn't half bad and I was playing it today 3-4 months after having bought it....a long time since I could say that about a Weller album. Wild Wood is his solo masterpiece IMHO, although Stanley Road was his most commercial record.
corruptio optimi pessima
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Start with the Jam -

They've just reissued Snap! - You cannot go wrong with that.

I would avoid the Style Council.

If you're looking for solo work - pick up Modern Classics
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

an instant triple response!
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I assumed Blue was referring to Weller's solo stuff.

If we bring The Jam into it, there really is no competition!!

All Mod Cons, Setting Sons and Sound Affects would all make my all-time top 30 album list. All Mod Cons would be top five - a real classic that often inexplicably fails to make top 100 lists :?

When I was 14, The Jam were the only serious rivals to my EC obsession.
corruptio optimi pessima
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'm familiar with The Jam to some extent.. was more curious about Weller's solo material. I'm thinking perhaps I'll start with Wild Wood since I already know the title track.

But let's revive the game.. who else wants a rec?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

I would recommend Stanley Road and the live Days Of Speed as starting points. They worked for me!

(Not too long ago, Weller said that Stanley Road had everything he ever wanted to put into a solo record & I think Days Of Speed showcases his mature soulful voice, not least on the Jam numbers)
What this world needs is more silly men.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Can anyone tell me more about Nikki Sudden ? I've heard the name many times, but never got round to checking his music.

He died on Sunday at the age of 49.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Swell Maps were a legendary part of the 1980 indie scene here. I never quite got into them, though enjoyed stuff Peel played well enough. His brother Epic Soundtracks committed suicide, and Nikki's site has a note from someone who spoke to him the day before he died:

'Our conversation touched on the subject of Nikki's late brother Eric a/k/a Epic Soundtracks, with whom he co-founded Swell Maps in 1977. Epic took his own life on November 6, 1997 and Nikki noted that Friday (3/24/06) was the day after what would have been his brother's 47th birthday.'

Reasons for Nikki's death unknown. I loved the name Swell Maps, and their song Read About Seymour, which may be wherre Blur got their original name from. it was name-checked in the Television Personalities immortal Part-Time Punks:

Then they go to Rough Trade
To buy Siouxsie and the Banshees
They heard John Peel play it
Just the other night
They'd like to buy the O Level single
or Read about Seymour
But they're not pressed in red
So they buy The Lurkers instead

Heaven knows who O Level were.

Sorry, I can't really answer your question!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more