The Recommendation Game

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Serge also had a song called "Lemon Incest," but I'm not familiar with either of them.

As for Sleater-Kinney, I almost feel as though I should step aside, having jawed off about them not two weeks ago, but I have all their albums save one, so I think I'm their biggest fan here...? (Please correct me if I am wrong!) Dig Me Out is very straightahead rock and roll, and they've gotten much more complex since then, especially in terms of harmonies and interweaving vocals (which I think they did best on The Hot Rock). Every album has at least 2 or 3 earworms, but my personal favorite is The Hot Rock. All Hands on the Bad One is almost poppy, lots of fun, and The Woods is probably the most adventurous. One Beat is the least essential.

Billie Holiday
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Tallulah is a massive SK fan as well. I am sorry to say I just cannot get past the lead singer's voice, which grates on my ears. The writing is amazing and fabulous, and the beats, and everything esle. I just don't like the vocal style!! Am I shallow??
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

selfmademug wrote:Am I shallow??
Maybe. But that's not why.

Just kidding. :)
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
bobster

Post by bobster »

Serge Gainsbourg was, I gather, definitely about pushing the sexual envelope. He made a film that played at the American Cinematheque (which I didn't see...can't see anything they show during the week now becuase of stupid SC traffic!) that was inspired bye "Je t'aime" and apparently had lots of bisexual stuff going on (this is back in the 1970s)...think Joe Dellesandro was in it.

Not that I'm comparing bisexuality to incest, but in those days I'm not sure which was more taboo.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

bobster wrote:
Not that I'm comparing bisexuality to incest.
Whew....thought you'd gone Santorum on us there for a sec.
bobster

Post by bobster »

That would be like having sex with an animal of my own gender.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Where were we, Billie Holiday?

I hardly know everything of hers (there's a lot to know), but Lady In Satin and Songs For Distingue Lovers would be essential listening. They are 2 of her later recordings, made in the late '50's, the former being in fact her last album, if I remember correctly. Her voice is a little rough in places, but she feels these songs, and the arrangements are very, very nice. They're not exactly cheerful, though; definitely late-night listening.

There are a bazillion compilations. Look for one with some songs you might recognize and listen to her unique take on them. It's hard to go wrong with Billie Holiday. Some of her earlier recordings are on the Quintessential Billie Holiday series, which I think are pretty nice, and contain some lesser-known things. The difference in her voice here and in Lady In Satin is striking. Volume I of the Quintessential Series has "What A Little Moonlight Can Do", which is one of my very favorite songs ever, and she sings the hell out of it.

Howsabout Aimee Mann?
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Start with "Whatever" - no question.
I should've known, 50 years after the fair and 4th of July are a stonking start and the rest is nearly as good.
For EC fans Bachelor No 2 is interesting for The fall of the world's own optimist, co-written by EC and Til Tuesday's Everything's different now has the original of The other end of the telescope.
Lost in Space and I'm with Stupid are just a tad down in quality, but still good.
I've never bought the Magnolia soundtrack as it has Supertramp tracks on it and I'm allergic to them.

M Ward anyone?
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

sorry, no M Ward fans. anyone else?
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Gil Scott Heron?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Fishfinger king wrote:Start with "Whatever" - no question.
I should've known, 50 years after the fair and 4th of July are a stonking start and the rest is nearly as good.
For EC fans Bachelor No 2 is interesting for The fall of the world's own optimist, co-written by EC and Til Tuesday's Everything's different now has the original of The other end of the telescope.
Lost in Space and I'm with Stupid are just a tad down in quality, but still good.
I've never bought the Magnolia soundtrack as it has Supertramp tracks on it and I'm allergic to them.

M Ward anyone?
Sorry, Fishfinger. I was away all weekend, but I'm your man on M. Ward. Start with Transfiguration Of Vincent, his second album. Just a beautiiful disc all the way through - one of my top three albums of the past five years or so. Then, if you like that, Transistor Radio, from earlier this year, is quite good too. His debut, End Of Amnesia is not quite so consistently great, but "O'Brien Nocturne" is worth the price of admission.

His voice is more than a little on the gravelly side, but is a very interesting instrument - he sings in a kind of intimate, raspy whisper. Tremendous songwriter - completely unlike anyone else I've ever heard. Great guitar player too.
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

bambooneedle wrote:Gil Scott Heron?
Anybody, or does WSS need to name somebody?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

OK, since nobody chimed in on Gil Scott Heron, how about PJ Harvey?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Dry is a great debut. I thought she was the coolest girl singer I'd ever heard when Sheela Na Gig was played on Swedish TV back then (13 years ago?)
If you want to hear her rough and twisted, that's a great place to start, or the Steve Albini-produced follow-up Rid Of Me.

For great but more mainstream sounding singing-songwriting, try Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea. I finally saw her on that tour and I'm really glad I did; she seemed to be very much in her prime (even though her own personal fave is Is This Desire?).

Haven't heard her latest one, though.

(And I only have one Gil Scott Heron album, Pieces Of A Man, but that's well worth getting. It includes The Revolution Will Not Be Televised and Home Is Where The Hatred Is. I like The Bottle more than anything on that, though, but I don't know what record that is on. It's on a comp I have.)

Does anyone remember Pere Ubu?
What this world needs is more silly men.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Sure.
I met Pere Ubu vocalist David Thomas in Earls Court Pizza Hut when I worked there as a waiter back in 1989.
Though I had a rather vague idea of what Pere Ubu played I asked if I could talk to him. (To this day I'm wondering what the heck I would have been talking to him about). He was in the middle of his pizza so unsuprisingly declined the offer.

I still cannot help you with any starting point, though.

Pere Ubu, anyone ?
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Never heard of them, what do they sound like?

Babe Ruth. I had an album on vinyl by them, Stealing Home, that had songs called Fascination, It'll Happen In Time and Elusive notably because I stuck them on the end of a cassette and that's all that remains of them. Don't know what happened to it, but they had a very natural vocalist called Jennie Haan who reminded me of Janis Joplin but also Edie Brickel. They had a funk rock sound with some jazz and classical elements.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Willie DeVille/Mink DeVille ?
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Bamboo...the Babe Ruth debut album was brilliant, and then they progressively declined from that first effort. The female lead singer went on to some notoriety in Japan, forming and joining several bands with spotty success.

This is too good of a thread to let die. I get a lot of value out of this thread, so I hope it continues. If anyone doesn't jump on the Mink Deville request, the I will try one that I am very serious about.

Cafe Tacuba? I have a Fathers Day gift certificate that is burning a hole in my pocket. Any suggestions for Cafe Tacuba? they appeared at a few Sou Cal shows recently and are much heralded here. I would like to add something by them...
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Mr. A - I had a feeling that you, out of everyone here, might have heard some Babe Ruth. Thank you. I've rarely encountered a vocalist with the spunk Jennie (or Janita) Haan could muster. Just found some more recs on them here: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/archi ... 46028.html
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Mr. Average wrote:
Cafe Tacuba? I have a Fathers Day gift certificate that is burning a hole in my pocket. Any suggestions for Cafe Tacuba? they appeared at a few Sou Cal shows recently and are much heralded here. I would like to add something by them...
Such a great band. I would be most delighted to recommend that you track down a copy of Re. It's their 2nd album, and it gives a startlingly broad view of what they can do. It tackles a multitude of musical styles, and yet holds together perfectly. I return to it again and again.

After that, try Avalancha des Exitos, Cuatro Caminos, their self titled debut, and Reves/Yo Soy. The latter is a double album that may be their most ambitious. But it's not a good starting place. If you adore Re as much as I do, you will appreciate most any other album. They also just released two live discs. Un Viaje is the full band in front of a huge audience, with 3 discs of music and a DVD. The other is an MTV unplugged performance that was recorde in 1996, but is just being released. It's mostly music from Re. I like both a lot, and both come with DVDs of the live shows, and are a steal at around 15 bucks a piece. But get the real albums first. If Re isn't available, get Avalancha... or Cuatro Caminos. You're in for your new favorite band since Los Lobos. And yes, that's a bold statement.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Thank you, Noise. I'll pick up Re at least, and follow in the progression that you recommend.

I appreciate it.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

You're much more than welcome.

I forgot to ask someone for a recommendation! So here goes:

Ween
--William Shakespeare
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Ween, anyone?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Can I make a recommendation not to buy anything by Ween?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Sure, now pick an artist :lol: