Gay unions

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.

Is it okay for homosexuals to get married?

Yes
89%
No
11%

Total votes: 38

A rope leash

Gay unions

Post by A rope leash »

Personally, I'm against marriage in general, but if two homosexuals want to get married, why should we have a Constitutional amendment to stop it?

I've actually felt jealousy over the loving relationship my brother has with his companion. I'm so glad there is someone there for him during his slow demise.

I'm likely to die alone.

What's wrong with it? Hey, they got to hide their love away? Why should anyone else care? Because their preacher said so? I suspect...

...and I want someone to tell me what exactly is wrong with gay marriage.

...and why we need a law to ban it.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

what rope said.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Yeah. :)
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

If marriage is simply a ceremony of commitment to each other, why should gay couples be banned?? I mean, if 2 people love each other enough to commit to one another for the rest of their lives, who's business is it, but theirs??

:?
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Sure, why not.....whose business is it anyway?
I tend to think of marriage in more of a religious sense, as a sacrament. I don't see why legality should enter into it at all....for anyone.
When you think about it, all marriage really is (and should be) is a ceramony between two peolpe expressing their love and devotion and commitment to eachother.
We need laws for this?
Stuff like this is all much too personal for anyone not directly involved to even care about.
I'm not angry anymore....
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Yeah... good luck to them. I guess that if two men or women have been together for most of their lives, then one dies without legally leaving the other anything in terms of pensions, insurance, house ownership, possessions, etc. But most importantly, why shouldnt they have the right to commit to one another? Noone gets hurt...no problem....you'd think!
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

I'm all for the romantic institution and think that gays should have the right to get married!!

By the way, I just experienced the most powerful display of gay love in San Francisco at the Folsom Street Fair....where the gays are the real men and the straight boys run for their life. Never seen so much testosterone in my life.
Pov

Post by Pov »

I said yes and I think that committed gay couples should have the same rights as committed heterosexual couples. However, I think that a lot of trouble could be avoided if we didn't call it "marriage." What's wrong with a legally recognized "commitment ceremony" or something like that?
A rope leash

Why?

Post by A rope leash »

Okay, "No" voters! Tell me WHY!
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

They should have the same legal rights. Maybe "no" voters already disagree with some of the legal 'rights' straight couples have, so they don't want homosexuals to also have them, but that would be a separate issue.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I've always said that marriage is for suckers :lol: .

I do believe that gay couples should have the same rights as heterosexuals, however the rights of unmarried (het) couples need to be improved. If you've been living together for any length of time you should not be denied basic human rights just because you neglected to go through a dated ceremony.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I think unfortunately it is still a lingering attitude that "it's not the way it's supposed to be." We can develop new technology, cures for diseases, push the envelope in almost every other direction, but we can't acknowledge something other than a man and a woman doing it missionary style? Come on.

After realizing years into my first marriage that there was actually no love there, and then being lucky enough to recapture lost love on the second try, I now know that it's important to find love AT ALL, however you find it. And the same way I'm free to express love to my husband should be available to any couple who is willing to make a go of things in this world.
Ha' Penny Millionaire

Ha' Penny Millionaire

Post by Ha' Penny Millionaire »

A very dear friend of mine, who happens to be an apolitical lesbian, had this to say after the recent U.S. Supreme Court ruling decriminalizing same-sex sodomy: "If the conservative right wing really wants to end gay sex, it ought to legalize gay marriage."

Later.
It's a living, this is the life.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

The bottom line is that politicians in secular countries can't allow their religious beliefs to influence laws. I think that's a big reason why it's legal in Canada now.

Unfortunately, your president is a rule-abiding Christian (well, sort of), who allows his beliefs to take precidence over the fact that he governs a country with so many different types of people, wether it be differences in race, religion, or sexuality. He needs to realize that he governs a country where not everyone respects or cares what the Pope has to say.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Im not really very big on the institution of marraige but as long as heterosexual couples have the right to marry, the same rights should apply to homosexual couples. Also for common law marraiges, those people who have lived together as partners for years and years . . .
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

I got one of my "jokes" used on the air at my talk-radio internship, and it's all due to the gay and lesbian "public" school in new york hype.

"They'll have one of the best teen-pregnancy rates in the world!"

I always thought High School was gay. :roll:
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

that civil union stuff doesn't quite cut it though - how do you get civilly un-unionized? according to a recent article in the boston globe, many courts won't grant a divorce to a civilly unionized couple. so how do you untangle all that stuff that you so easily entangled???

now *that* would be a mess. divorce is ugly enough, but having to break apart every tie separately? hello bankruptcy. hello insanity.

obviously civil union by itself isn't the answer.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Hello, Goodbye
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Hello Goodbye Girl
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

There's a lot of free related info on the following site. All about civil unions, cohabitation agreements, wills, gay couples, etc. Obviously the laws from place to place would vary about what is possible, so that would have to be checked out, as I intend to do. Poppet, I suspect a civil union contract wouldn't be unlike a business contract in that you could stipulate conditions yourself, including about the best ways it might end....don't know much yet.

http://www.unmarried.org/res.html#legal
http://www.unmarried.org/faq.html
double dutchess

Post by double dutchess »

I voted Yes, but I have nothing to say that hasn't already been said.

I have a wife. Or, I would if our marrige was legally upheld in Virginia. And if the guy who performed the ceremony hadn't been ordained on the internet. :D
I wasn't born the sharpest thorn
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Be My Wife. Otis likes that song...
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

To legally mandate that gays and lesbians cannot legally be recognized as couples is insane. However, the civil union thing does indeed open a can of worms: if gays can do it, what about unmarried heteros who just don't want to take that extra step and get hitched?

The idea behind marriage is SUPPOSED to be about sharing one's life with someone else; proclaiming his/her dedication to his/her partner.

Marriage is really about health benefits, who gets the house when one person dies, making sure the kids have two parents, lower insurance rates, etc.

All of those things--the ideal and the reality--are things to which gay people are entitled. If a man chooses to spend his life with one man, have a couple of kids, buy a house and save up for retirement, he should have the right to be treated like any other man who wants the same thing.

Fuckin' Republicans...
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

SoLikeCandy wrote:If a man chooses to spend his life with one man, have a couple of kids...

???
A rope leash

Gay school

Post by A rope leash »

I wonder if the gay school in New York is a good idea. Why are they separating them from the rest of society? For their own protection?