22.Pump it up
23.Love that burns
24.PLU
25.Radio
26.Bedlam
27.Button my lip
28.Alison/suspicious
29.Scarlet tide
Last edited by martinfoyle on Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

whoa, he beat me to it - I've got High Fidelity after ICSUFFD, for all you completists (and you know who you are :lol: ).

It was a good show, beautiful beautiful theater/theatre/THEE ATE ER here in east TN. Kind of a slow start, but once it got rolling, it was a freaking freight train. Elvis had his own standing/dancing/sitting mosh pit where the Mighty Wurlitzer was housed, so my dreams of seeing Steve playing that were dashed. I loved Knoxville Girl, which I had heard of, but never heard - I think it's a Louvin Bros song- maybe??? It was a crowd pleaser. A youngerish audience, and they seemed to know all the words to all the songs. Someone in the mosh pit seats gave him a note - happy 41 to somebody, and later someone else gave him a rose, which he stuck in his teeth (I saw the guy selling those - I wouldn't have touched them with my hands). voice problems? what voice problems? it was really noticeable until Scarlet Tide, when he did the 2nd verse off mic - I doubt if anyone past the 10th row heard him, and you could have heard a pin drop. Steve did his theremin thing (but I would have sworn it was bigger when I saw it at the Ryman in '02 8) ), Pete seemed to be having a good time, but again he ran off stage. Davey looked kind of bored sometimes - nobody was throwing him roses, and there's only so much bobbing you can do... I counted 10 guitars plus 2 I thought were basses, which they probably weren't - Paddy kept a sharp eye on them. I got a few photos, which I haven't looked at yet - I'm no photographer, but if they aren't really really awful I'll try to post a few.

I had a couple of special guests, too. My oldest son got to see his first elvis show, and it was kind of cool having him to hang out with. Mr. Swung was also in attendance, altho some witnesses reported him dozing off a few times (!!!!!!). The ever fabulous Oily Slick brought his friend Chad - it was great to see them both. Particularly the backs of the their heads, as somehow OS snagged better seats than me! The very specialest extrafabulous Goody2Shoes was our Super Special Guest and it was just wonderful to meet her live and in person. She is a treasure. hugs and kisses to ya, sweetie! We stalked the bus afterwards - caught Steve just getting on and gave him my most winning smile, but it must've looked more psychotically needy, cos he jumped on that bus at a very high rate of speed. A lady did jump on after him, but she came out at an even higher rate of speed. And the bus damn near ran us over leaving - I guess Pete and Davey were on it, never saw them post show. Paddy must have ears like a bat, cos he heard me say to my son - there's paddy, elvis is still here (and really I wasn't shouting, and there were several diesel engines running). Elvis did come out and do a very quick meet and greet - I managed to say 'thanks for coming to knoxville - please come back soon' to which he whispered all laryngitisy 'we've always wanted to play here, it's great' - made me think of the simpsons rock and roll camp episode.

ok, ok, I've got explosive dysentery of the mouth. I stop now.

the rest of you knoxville gals and guys? what say you?

edited to ask - did I dream High Fidelity?
Last edited by mood swung on Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Moody, glad you all had a great time.

He did that step back from the mic thing at the Ryman on Scarlet Tide, except the Ryman is such a great place to do it - you could hear every word. The crowd came to a complete hush, which made it even better. But that particular venue is such a perfect place that his voice carried throughout unlike anything I've ever heard.

I never saw Steve afterwards either. Joel saw Davey and told him thanks and Davey talked backed for a minute in passing. I didn't even realize who he was talking to until after we passed, since I was talking to Cosmos. We kept running into people that we had seen and talked to in Memphis at the Hi-Tone last year, and other people from Listserv.

You ramble on as much as you like, Moody. There is no dysentery of the mouth when it comes to reporting on an Elvis concert! :D
Last edited by spooky girlfriend on Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
LittleFoole

Post by LittleFoole »

mood swung wrote:

the rest of you knoxville gals and guys? what say you?
8) Technically, we're from Maryville, but that's close enough to K-town, eh ??? I had a great time !!!! Mrs. Foole even admitted that it was great, and to say she was never an EC fan before would be an understatement...hehheh. We were first row (not in the orchestra pit, in the regular seats), approx center, I thought his voice sounded no worse than any other times - it's amazing he can speak/sing at all at the pace he keeps up. Best show I've seen in awhile, ranks up there with a Melissa Etheridge show we saw at the Detroit Opera House a few years back (just her, her guitars, and her piano - that was a rollickin' good time ;) ) My only complaint was paying $5 for a freaking cup of Killians....LOL. The "theatre" was nice, albeit a lil gaudy (as all these theatre refurbishings seem to be all around the country) - nice small venue, and free parking - can't beat THAT !!!...heh. All in all, a good show, was a very good belated birthday present from the Mrs. to me 8)
Oh, yeah, and Tiff Merrit turned out to be OK....had never heard her, so wasn't expecting much - she was pleasant enough.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Thanks all.

MDM - thanks for introducing some new words into the VG vocabulary - youngerish, specialest and my fave, laryngitisy!

And can you show us your most winning smile so we can see whether or not it looks psychotically needy?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

*Ahem.* Pictures, please. :)
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

be careful what you wish for, Spooks!

the Tennessee ThE Ate R (indoor photography is expressly forbidden)

elvis, who kept obstructing my view of pete

the mad professor

pete

two of my favorite men, one of whom is shy like his mother

VG wrote:
MDM - thanks for introducing some new words into the VG vocabulary - youngerish, specialest and my fave, laryngitisy!
anytime you need your language mangled, feel free to come to me!

and then he wrote:
And can you show us your most winning smile so we can see whether or not it looks psychotically needy?
I was going to say 'I'll show you mine, if you show me yours', but I don't want to incur the wrath of Mrs. VG (who is one of the luckiest women in the world), and I have shown my most winning smile - YOU are the holdout! :lol:

my longest post ever. sorry! I babble when I'm tired.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Moody, I dont' think Elvis even changed attire since Nashville - same getup in the outdoor pics. :lol:

So, how did your boy like the show?
migdd

Post by migdd »

EC wore the same stage clothes in Atlanta and Charlotte, as well. . .that's at least 4 shows in a row!!! (Well, maybe the tie changed.) Does he have a dry cleaner on one of those tour buses?!!!!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

maybe he just gets five of everything. I do remember staring at the baggy knees of his suit at last year's show, thinking just how long have you been wearing that suit el?

Spooks, the son was pleased. He even managed a very sincere thank you - a very rare thing in our family!

LittleFoole - I'm glad you and the Mrs. enjoyed the show. Maryville, excuse me - Murrvul - is close enough to k-town, but a much nicer place. I'm in Greater Sevierville, and I don't want to be a knoxvillian unless I can be a Knoxville Girl, and I think she's dead, so that's not such a great thing to be.

I keep thinking about that little off-mic bit on Scarlet Tide - it gave that song a much deeper meaning (imho) - the imperfect rasp of quiet desperation vs. the polished plea.

off to find bicarb or bicardi. whatever will shut me up.
LittleFoole

Post by LittleFoole »

mood swung wrote:
LittleFoole - I'm glad you and the Mrs. enjoyed the show. Maryville, excuse me - Murrvul - is close enough to k-town, but a much nicer place. I'm in Greater Sevierville, and I don't want to be a knoxvillian unless I can be a Knoxville Girl, and I think she's dead, so that's not such a great thing to be.

I keep thinking about that little off-mic bit on Scarlet Tide - it gave that song a much deeper meaning (imho) - the imperfect rasp of quiet desperation vs. the polished plea.

Hey, moodswung...OK, Sevierville.....we've (meaning I accompanied my better half) been shopping there...FWIW, we live just off of Sevierville Rd, right on the edge of Murrvul , borderline County....hehheh.
Yeah, my Mrs. didn't know what to make of the Knoxville Girl song....kinda disturbed her a bit, I think ;)
As per the off mic, I agree - his voice sounded just fine to me....kinda thought he was a-gonna cry when he did the off mic bit....All in all, a great show 8)
edit : Very cool you took your son - it seems there were a bunch of "intergenerational" groups at the show last night - tres cool.....although my kids wouldn't appreciate it, I'm a-feared...our 8 year old son hates loud noise (or music) and my 12 year old daughter wants nothing to do with ANYthing that her folks think is cool or fun...LOL
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Elvis previously did Knoxville Girl in Atlanta way back in April 1987. I'm listening to it on a compilation put together by Stormwarning and Norman Brain(what happened to him?), which Storm was good enough to send me. A great performance then, I'm sure last nights was just as good. Here are the lyrics.

I met a little girl in Knoxville
A town we all know well
And every sunday evening
In her home I'd dwell
We went to take an evening walk
About a mile from town
I picked a stick up off the ground
And I knocked that fair girl down
She fell down on her bended knees
For mercy she did cry
"Oh Willy, dear, don't kill me yet
I'm unprepared to die"
She never spoke another word
I only beat her more
Until the ground around me
With her blood did flow
I took her by her golden curls
And I dragged her 'round and 'round
Throwing her into the river
That flows from Knoxville town
Go down, go down, you Knoxville girl
With your dark and roving eyes
Go down, go down, you Knoxville girl
You can never be my bride
I started back to Knoxville
Got there about midnight
My mother, she was worried
She woke up in a fright
Saying, "Dear son, what have you done
To bloody up your clothes?"
I told my anxious mother
That I was bleading in my nose
I called for me a candle
And I called for me a bed
And I called for me a handkerchief
To bind my aching head
I rolled and thrashed the whole night through
All horrors I did see
The devil stood at the foot of my bed
Pointing his finger at me
They carried me down to Knoxville
And put me in a cell
My friends all tried to get me out
But none could grow my bail
I'm here to waste my life away
Down in this dirty old jail
Because I murdered that Knoxville girl
The girl I loved so well
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Reminds me of "Banks Of The Ohio", a great song that Johnny Cash covered (don't think he wrote it).
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Moody's dysentery of the mouth seems to have affected her judgement, as well, as she is too flattering. Hugs and kisses back at ya! It was great to meet her and the infamous Oily Slick and spend a fabulous evening in their company. She is warm and funny, and he is, well, slick and oily. Which I mean in the most complimentary way, of course. 8)

I can't add too much to the comments already made, but here are some random thoughts and observations, and some nice things that happened to me:

1. What a great crowd! Yes, quiet and lazy at first, perhaps, but midway through, I saw very few people in their seats, and everyone seemed to be entranced. Despite being under the weather, he can still compel people to get off their asses. Small city, smallish venue, hugely appreciative crowd, which seemed to inspire him. Everyone remained on their feet throughout even the slower or quieter numbers.

2. Clubland was so good. Scarlet Tide with the whole band and the off-mic section was a revelation. Very happy to hear King Horse. Why Don't You Love Me was thrilling.

3. Davey may have looked bored at times, but at least his eyes were open, a condition that could not have been said to have been observed in the man standing two seats away from me! Those Swungs can multitask like no one's business!

4. Mr. Swung the Younger is adorable, pleasant, polite enough to make conversation with Old Ladies from Distant Lands (moi), and makes his mother justifiably proud.

5. Elvis graciously signed the cover of my Costello/Nieve box set, which I promptly ran my thumb over and schmeared a little. Oops. We exchanged some laryngitisy (me, too) pleasantries, and I was so nervous and concentrating on not vomiting on his shoes that I didn't hear much of what he said, but he said it with such a gorgeous smile on his face, and with his hand on my arm, that he might have been telling me to go to hell and I would have been happy.

6. While getting ready to go to the show, I accidentally put hair conditioner on my face instead of moisturizer, and it worked just as well.

7. 41-year-old me got carded in a bar after the show, no doubt due to the effects of the hair conditioner/moisturizer.

To those of you still reading this over-long post, thanks for playing!
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
MistakenForLilies

Post by MistakenForLilies »

Hi, I'm new to this board but visited to read the latest reviews--especially that of the Knoxville concert which I attended and thought was superb. I was also pleased to find the lyrics to "Knoxville Girl" in this thread--very thorough!

I just wanted to add, though, that I was the one to give Elvis the rose at that show, and I bought it from a professional florist, not anyone selling them on the street. I would never give my favorite performer something of questionable origin! My only regret is that I didn't get a picture of Elvis with the rose in his teeth. :(

Thank you for your time.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Oh, I forgot to apologize to the man sitting in Row C whose hair I hit early on in the show. If you're reading, I'm so sorry! I meant to apologize afterwards, but got caught up. It was quite by accident, and thank you for not turning around and yelling at me, which I utterly deserved!
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Welcome to our new member, MFL. Please hang around. We often get new members who join after the hype of a show and then they go away. Stay and play. :)

I would like to have gone to the Knoxville show, but was happy to be at the Ryman the night before. Glad it was such a great night.

Moody, did you see the thread I started on the Songs to Kill Your Woman By? Knoxville Girl was on there, as well as two Elvis songs. :lol:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.elviscostello.info/articles/ ... 050311.php

Knoxville News-Sentinel, 2005-03-11

Costello makes wait to see worthwhile

BY WAYNE BLEDSOE
bledsoe@knews.com

Rock legend Elvis Costello must have surely passed through Knoxville during the past 25 years. He was, however, always on the way to a show somewhere else.

Thursday night Costello performed in Knoxville for the first time and tried to make up for the quarter-century slight. In a little over two hours Costello performed 30 songs that stretched through his entire career — froml his earliest songs, including the fun "Mystery Dance," to riveting numbers from his latest album "The Delivery Man." He even tossed in a spooky version of "Knoxville Girl" in recognition of his surroundings.

The crowd at the sold-out Tennessee Theatre was a mixture of baby boomers, generation Xers and a few who must've been from generation Y. Costello seemed happy to deliver material from wherever an audience member stepped into his time line. After a pleasant set by Tift Merritt, Costello and his band the Imposters performed a relaxed rendition of "(Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes."

The Imposters are nearly Costello's original band the Attractions. Keyboardist Steve Nieve and drummer Bruce Thomas remain with the act. Only bassist Pete Thomas was absent, replaced by ace player Davey Farragher.

Early highlights included "Hidden Shame," which Costello originally wrote for Johnny Cash, an impassioned version of "The Delivery Man" song "Either Side of the Same Town," providing fine evidence that Costello is still a lyrical master.

It's interesting that Costello's early image seemed to be that of a man who was crass and a little aloof. Costello was the brainy punk or the nerviest of the new wave. What he actually was was a great pop and rock singer-songwriter with too much talent to be put in a box. On Thursday he came off as a warm performer anxious to give fans what they wanted with things they might not have known they wanted added in.

He performed his lesser known "When I Was Cruel," segueing into the favorite "Watching the Detectives." The fine new rocker "Monkey to Man" led into the vintage "I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down" and "High Fidelity." More favorites followed, including "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace Love and Understanding" "Radio, Radio" and "Pump It Up."

The sweet 'Alison" was played with a little added fun — Costello inserting the lyrics to a hit by the other Elvis ("Suspicious Minds") into the song.

Costello's final number was a gorgeous rendition of the mournful "The Scarlet Tide" (performed by Alison Krauss in the movie "Cold Mountain"). Costello took a moment to step to the edge of the stage and sing un-amplified while the audience listened in hushed silence.

It was a beautiful end to an excellent show. Maybe the next time Costello's passing through, he'll decide to spend the night again.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

The Imposters are nearly Costello's original band the Attractions. Keyboardist Steve Nieve and drummer Bruce Thomas remain with the act. Only bassist Pete Thomas was absent, replaced by ace player Davey Farragher.
Uh-oh. Someone didn't do their homework. . . .
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

but I didn't dream High Fidelity!

Goody, I'm going to try that conditioner-as-moisturizer trick! And you are way too sweet!

welcome MistakeforLilies - the rose was a wonderful gesture! Glad you bought it from a reputable supplier! The guy that came in to the restaurant pre-show was kinda scary looking. No offense meant to you whatsoever!

martinfoyle - thanks for posting the lyrics! I found it on allmusic, and its credited to the great Trad, but the Louvin Bros did perform it.
LittleFoole

Post by LittleFoole »

spooky girlfriend wrote:
Uh-oh. Someone didn't do their homework. . . .
LOL....yeah, I had to chuckle at that - my wife ripped the review outta the paper at her work and brought it home...oh, well.....guess reviewers can't know everything about everyone they see...
MistakenForLilies

Post by MistakenForLilies »

Thanks spooky girlfriend, mood swung.

Mood swung, out of curiosity, can I ask what pre-show you're talking about?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

MfL - we had dinner and drinks pre-show at the Preservation Pub. This homeless-looking guy came in selling roses - I think he insulted Oily when he wouldn't buy any.

And one last thing - my photos are bad, but I did not mean to skip Davey - the man bobs around too much (even when he's looking bored) for me to get even a lousy photo of him.

and big ups to johnfoyle for posting the review - I went thru that damn paper 7 times and I still didn't find it! They did have a correction on Saturday, putting Pete back in the band.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Great reports, mood and G2S.

OS: "It ain't a good year for the roses buddy, beat it!"
mimimartini

Brand new here

Post by mimimartini »

HI,
I was at the Knoxville show (5th row). I've seen EC before back in 91' at SPAC in Saratoga, NY.
I'm a long time fan and I can't believe that I've never posted here before. I thought his performance was great on Thursday!
I also went to the tour bus right after the band came out. I have a question, did anyone see EC in a strange beige hat? When he came out of the bus I asked him to sign my ticket. He did then he said "You've got the wrong guy." So I said "Thanks for all the music." and he said "You're Welcome." very quietly. I am 99.9% sure it was really him but it just struck me maybe he would do something like that as a joke (he did just play with "The Imposters"). Is that possible for him to have a double?
Or am I just looney? How many times did he get off of that bus?
I wish I had known more of you hard core fans at the show. Most of my friends don't really "get him" and it makes me sad.

Anyway thanks for reading this, it's pretty long......... 8)