Elvis' Plans for 2005

Pretty self-explanatory
martinfoyle

Elvis' Plans for 2005

Post by martinfoyle »

Nick/Eamonn Singer was good enough to relay this info on the eclistserv, from the tour programme that I was too much of a cheapskate to buy last week.
Usually these things have as much substance as a balloon, but there is some news in this one that you may find of value. The following is extracted verbatim. Where the grammar of the original is flawed, I have supplied the missing words in square brackets.

"During our second visit to Memphis this year, we played a show at the Hi-Tone cafe - the small club in which we first performed during "The Delivery Man" sessions. The "Live in Memphis" DVD will be released by Eagle Rock on the 19th April. It features a guest appearance by Emmylou Harris, with whom I duet on "Heart Shaped Bruise" from "The Delivery Man" and also on Johnny Cash's "I still miss someone" and the Gram Parsons tune "Wheels".
I also understand that Concord Records are soon to issue a CD of my appearance on the wonderful radio programme "Piano Jazz" hosted by Marion McPartland. The format is very informal and I found myself discussing and performing songs that I have loved throughout my life, many of them standards. The collaboration with Marion McPartland was utterly spontaneous and very enjoyable. I have promised to return to the studio in the future and only sing songs that I don't already know.

Another upcoming release is the Rhino/Demon records re-issue of "King of America". This album which is a close musical relative of "The Delivery Man" was first released in 1985 and is now presented in a definitive edition including a number of previously unreleased outtakes and highlights from an "Elvis Costello and His Confederates" concert at the Broadway Theatre, New York City. Once again, I have tried to write accompanying notes that may interest those who enjoy this record.

The last few years have brought many of unexpected accolades and opportunities, and appearance in "The Simpsons", an abduction into "The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" - about which I have returned to my original "Groucho Marx" position, if I may paraphrase: "I wouldn't want to be the member of any club that would have me as a member" - an Oscar nomination with my brother T Bone Burnett for "The Scarlet Tide", getting to smoke real Cubans and drink fake whiskey with Sean Penn during a guest appearance on the comedy show "Two and a Half men" and a recent bizarre Grammy nomination for a foxtrot, "Let's misbehave" from the motion picture "De Lovely".

I am currently working on songs telling an imaginary story about Hans Christian Andersen, PT Barnum and Jenny Lind. Some of you may have read that I am writing an opera, because the commission came from the Royal Danish Opera but in fact the story will be told originally in song form and developed into a full production in the future. The songs will be debuted in Copenhagen in October '05.

The Lincoln Center Festival, New York City in the summer of 2004 was a recent highlight. I performed over eighty songs during the three nights. <snip>... a large number of invitations have arrived from orchestral houses all over the world, some requesting a similar sequence of concerts and some wanting to perform "Il Sogno" either in full form or in suite form. Only time will tell how many such events will take place but I feel that live performance may provide the best opportunity for me to best present the full range [of] music that I love.

2005 will see a creative initiative using the Internet in my name. My previous attempt to communicate through this medium quickly descended into farce. I caught a horrid glimpse [into] the deluded and possessive vortex in which swirl the very creepy, over-opinionated, ill-informed weirdos that I have been trying to shake off my tail for the last twenty-five years. I hope that we shall be able to avoid such unpleasantness in the future and encounter only sweet-natured people such as your good selves.

Obviously I hope to continue to make rock and roll music records with the Imposters and also work with Steve Nieve and other friends such as the Brodsky Quartet but at a time in which the record industry is going through such upheaval, it is impossible to predict exactly where and when this will occur. Until those matters are resolved, we hope that you enjoy tonight's concert. We look forward to returning to your town before too long.

Yours through music. Elvis Costello
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

cool - and thanks, I like it
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Re: Elvis' Plans for 2005

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

martinfoyle wrote:... the Internet ... in which swirl the very creepy, over-opinionated, ill-informed weirdos that I have been trying to shake off my tail for the last twenty-five years
Not any of us, surely? :wink:
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

2005 will see a creative initiative using the Internet in my name. My previous attempt to communicate through this medium quickly descended into farce. I caught a horrid glimpse [into] the deluded and possessive vortex in which swirl the very creepy, over-opinionated, ill-informed weirdos that I have been trying to shake off my tail for the last twenty-five years. I hope that we shall be able to avoid such unpleasantness in the future and encounter only sweet-natured people such as your good selves.
Ah, they were grrrreat days. I miss them.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

ReadyToHearTheWorst wrote:
martinfoyle wrote:... the Internet ... in which swirl the very creepy, over-opinionated, ill-informed weirdos that I have been trying to shake off my tail for the last twenty-five years
Not any of us, surely? :wink:
Zebrasnake, I'm sure
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I think he's referring as well to the double-B. Poor guy.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

So he'll be dipping his toe into the murky waters of the Internet again? Great. Betcha it won't include any kind of fan message board. Would love it if he revived his tour diary. That was a good read.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I also liked 'Ask Elvis', though a lot of the questions he bothered to answer were really stupid :lol:
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

martinfoyle wrote:Another upcoming release is the Rhino/Demon records re-issue of "King of America". This album which is a close musical relative of "The Delivery Man" was first released in 1985 and is now presented in a definitive edition including a number of previously unreleased outtakes and highlights from an "Elvis Costello and His Confederates" concert at the Broadway Theatre, New York City. Once again, I have tried to write accompanying notes that may interest those who enjoy this record....

First of all, thanks to martin for putting that up. Ever since investing in the Costello Sings Again program in '86 I've wished he kept selling programs.

I'm encouraged by the upcoming KOA reissue, but it bugs the questions: when? and what about Juliet?

Finally, while I understand his disdain of "the very creepy, over-opinionated, ill-informed weirdos that I have been trying to shake off my tail for the last twenty-five years", he's going to have to accept that underneath we're the same sweet-natured people who've been buying his albums and concert tickets during that same period. He was very nice to me when I got his autograph in Memphis; if he only knew just how creepy, over-opinionated and ill-informed I can be...

But hey! Bring on the CDs, DVDs and anything else he'll let us see!
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

I dont really doubt that he's talking about us, not just Zebrasnake and the other. But Wardo is right. We're the same people who go to his concerts and buy his music and are (usually) pretty polite and respectful (and relatively normal) when we meet him in person. But the internet brings out the creepy weirdo in everyone.

The blessing and the curse of anonymity ...
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Zebrasnake?

A recap for the uninitiated, perhaps?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Back in the days when there was an Elvis forum attached to http://www.elviscostello.com, there was this person called Zebrasnake. Like WHAR, she made redundant posts every 3mins and only seemed to have a passing interest in Elvis. She was a very hostile person and made personal attacks on some of the board members. She even went so far as calling the employers of some and trying to get them in trouble.

The elviscostello.com moderators banned her, but she turned up on the first incarnation of Elvis Costello Fans after Island gave up on the Elvis forum over there. We soon banned her from here too, but it took a little while for her offline hostility to stop as well.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Later it was discovered that Zebrasnake was actually Bruce Thomas.
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

BlueChair wrote: She was a very hostile person and made personal attacks on some of the board members. She even went so far as calling the employers of some and trying to get them in trouble.
Wow - mad mad woman :shock:
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I have two words to describe Zebrasnake:

In Sane.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

From the programme:
Another upcoming release is the Rhino/Demon records re-issue of "King of America". This album which is a close musical relative of "The Delivery Man" was first released in 1985 and is now presented in a definitive edition including a number of previously unreleased outtakes and highlights from an "Elvis Costello and His Confederates" concert at the Broadway Theatre, New York City. Once again, I have tried to write accompanying notes that may interest those who enjoy this record.

Does this mean that this will be a stand alone release? Without The Juliet Letters or the Artier Stuff?
And why would he rerelease the live tracks from the Broadway Theatre performances? There is so much other material (demo's and alternatieve takes of almost all KOA tracks) to release?
Or is it going to be a 3-CD set (or a boxset)? That would really do KOA justice!
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

sweetest punch wrote:From the programme: Another upcoming release is the Rhino/Demon records re-issue of "King of America". Does this mean that this will be a stand alone release? Without The Juliet Letters or the Artier Stuff? And why would he rerelease the live tracks from the Broadway Theatre performances? There is so much other material (demo's and alternatieve takes of almost all KOA tracks) to release? Or is it going to be a 3-CD set (or a boxset)? That would really do KOA justice!
The Confederates bonus disc on the Ryko version was only 25 minutes or so, and the extra tracks on the main disc came out to about 15 minutes, so even with that there's still potentially 35 or so minutes of space for more fun. Hopefully more studio things, "Having It All", "I Hope You're Happy Now", "End Of The Rainbow", etc.
normabuel

Post by normabuel »

The elviscostello.com board was, to say the least, quite lively. It was a lot more gossipy than this board, with quite a few paranoid delusions that both EC and Bebe Buel were posting. And there was quite a bit of speculation about which poster(s) were the REAL EC and BB.

I liked the Ask Elvis feature, and I wish they would bring it back. he gave some sensible advice to a young kid about how to start playing guitar, interesting insights into what music he was listening to or books he was reading, and of course, his sage advice to a girl asking about her prospects of success in an all-girl Led Zep cover band: "First you must shave all of your heads." Or something like that.
//I can't forgive you for things you haven't done yet
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The news is that the Piano Jazz set will be easier to get ; see the original details here -

http://www.npr.org/programs/pianojazz/p ... l#songlist

From a boot of the show I burnt the songs after a burn of the core songs of North and they are just perfect together!
IStandAccused

Post by IStandAccused »

normabuel wrote:The elviscostello.com board was, to say the least, quite lively. It was a lot more gossipy than this board, with quite a few paranoid delusions that both EC and Bebe Buell were posting. And there was quite a bit of speculation about which poster(s) were the REAL EC and BB.
I can assure you it wasn't either one of them posting. Zebrasnake's target was the person whom Noise refers to as double "B" and I am certain that the double "B" is not part of the man's rage against such outburst. I only bring this up because her name gets dragged into this when it shouldn't be. She was just as much of a victim of the Zebrasnake stalkings as EC was. There is some speculation that Zebrasnake was in fact a man who was found to be "bi-polar". I have this on very good authority mind you. Zebrasnake also had several nyms that were used to create this fiasco. I further think that when someone like that thinks they will be read or heard by the victim(s)- in this case EC & BB- they tend to get even crazier.
*"Common sense is not so common."*Voltaire
For those who speak French, "Le sens common n'est pas si commun."
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Narbawlz, as I recall, either reported publically or privately that ZeBBraSnake was posting from up to 6 different IP's (maybe more) and that there was actually a team of people who were working the ZS angle. I also heard that 'she' was actually a couple of 'he's".

Here is how it works. Infiltrate these forums and work about a dozen at a time. Full time job. Find a way to either ingratiate yourself to a popular poster/personality, or through a series of sob stories, hook someone who is a sucker for these kinds of things (lessee, I found myself fitting nicely into category #2, when she indicated she was wheelchair confined and had severe asthma and sleep apnea). Because my company (at the time) made asthma and allergy and sleep apnea therapy products, I agreed to set here up as a 'beta site' and send free instruments to benefit her and assist with her breathing, day and night. It was from that offer that she learned where I worked, and then proceeded to email letters etc of extreme harrassment. In order for it to stop, a 'fee' was imposed, which I did not pay. The extortion efforts worsened. The sum was a perfect amount...enough that an executive with options etc would and could settle (aka MJ style, 1993) and make it all go away, ridiculous as it seems. Now if you have 6 guys, working a dozen or so forums, and each can close 1 sucker a per month (8%), @ 3-5K$ each, annual take can be around $300,000, split 6 ways is a dishonest 50K$ tax free.

Or something like that.

Nothing from me, but I lost a lot of weight, had to do a lot of embarrasing explaining ( I broke beta-site test rules to pull it off ), and suffered a reasonable amount of ridicule.

The forum now is nothing like that era, which was a very dark period. If Elvis tuned out then, I would not blame him for leaving with a bad tast in his mouth.

And with the sage wisdom of the philosopher Rene' Descartes, who posted a simple retort to all of her final posts ("Shut the Fuck Up"), and the heroic efforts of Narbawlz, she was busted and withered away.
IStandAccused

Post by IStandAccused »

Mr. Average wrote:Narbawlz, as I recall, either reported publically or privately that ZeBBraSnake was posting from up to 6 different IP's (maybe more) and that there was actually a team of people who were working the ZS angle. I also heard that 'she' was actually a couple of 'he's".

Here is how it works. Infiltrate these forums and work about a dozen at a time. Full time job. Find a way to either ingratiate yourself to a popular poster/personality, or through a series of sob stories, hook someone who is a sucker for these kinds of things (lessee, I found myself fitting nicely into category #2, when she indicated she was wheelchair confined and had severe asthma and sleep apnea). Because my company (at the time) made asthma and allergy and sleep apnea therapy products, I agreed to set here up as a 'beta site' and send free instruments to benefit her and assist with her breathing, day and night. It was from that offer that she learned where I worked, and then proceeded to email letters etc of extreme harrassment. In order for it to stop, a 'fee' was imposed, which I did not pay. The extortion efforts worsened. The sum was a perfect amount...enough that an executive with options etc would and could settle (aka MJ style, 1993) and make it all go away, ridiculous as it seems. Now if you have 6 guys, working a dozen or so forums, and each can close 1 sucker a per month (8%), @ 3-5K$ each, annual take can be around $300,000, split 6 ways is a dishonest 50K$ tax free.

Or something like that.

Nothing from me, but I lost a lot of weight, had to do a lot of embarrasing explaining ( I broke beta-site test rules to pull it off ), and suffered a reasonable amount of ridicule.

The forum now is nothing like that era, which was a very dark period. If Elvis tuned out then, I would not blame him for leaving with a bad tast in his mouth.

And with the sage wisdom of the philosopher Rene' Descartes, who posted a simple retort to all of her final posts ("Shut the Fuck Up"), and the heroic efforts of Narbawlz, she was busted and withered away.
Good lord- I heard HE was nothing more than a hired stalker to harass and irritate Ms. Buell. I think you are thinking way too hard. Not only was SHE as you call HIM busted but they were also ordered to stay 500 feet away from Ms. Buell and agreed to not utilize the internet as a tool to harass and or terrorize her anymore. May I also add there may have been people "at work" on this diabolical scheme that were more "inside" than realized or you realize. Narbawlz was a terrific and wonderful friend. He was very helpful in the "nabbing" of Zebrasnake and his co-horts. If you want to know, I'll tell you who it is and was but not on a public forum. In a PM if you really want the truth. If not, just know that BB and EC had not too much to do with this ridiculously obvious character assassination and internet ploy. Someone in this thread also eluded to who they thought it was- the eluded one was of MALE gender and not too far off from the culprit. Best to let it die. Even bringing it up is what the bad guys want. Leave it alone. I really believe and KNOW that BOTH BB and EC want peace and to be divorced from said theories and gossipy discussions. There will never be another Zebrasnake because the feds stopped HIM. The only way it will crank up again is if deluded idiots start up with the banter. Not that anyone here fits that discription- but I think that bringing it up only invites the negative shite to start again. Use your heads people- it is not anything but paid assassins at work. Don't give them the glory of even remebering their stupid nyms for goddness sakes.
PS- and may I add Mr. Average, I'm sorry about what happened to you. It is never a good thing when ANYONE is stalked or harassed on the web. Your suggestion that any money was exchanged may be right. I believe that Zebrasnake and co-horts were paid to do what they did. I also have it on very good authority that one of the paid stalkers was an attorney who was disbarred in 2004. Well, the good news is- HE was disbarred, lol! The bad news is not all of the helpers and co-horts were busted and they still read these forums. The less said the better or expect a visit from the TROLLS. As they say, "don't feed the trolls." Good advice. Good night!
Last edited by IStandAccused on Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*"Common sense is not so common."*Voltaire
For those who speak French, "Le sens common n'est pas si commun."
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Oh dear. Here we go again.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
normabuel

Post by normabuel »

I'm sorry I said anything. In any event, this is much more cordial board.

Oh, and so I am not misinterpreted, I was pretty certain that neither EC nor BB were actually posting. I didn't mean to imply otherwise.
//I can't forgive you for things you haven't done yet
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

IStandAccused:

Clearly you have detailed insider information that would have been helpful to me in a lawsuit. It sounds as if you were very forthcoming with information for a select few, and that seems to have had a positive outcome.

I only wish I wasn't hearing of this two years past.

And if they are paid assassins to go after celebrity's, why would they spend a minute on me...about as far from celebrity status as a person can get! And extort money. And threathen the livelihood and health of others on the board, and their families.

I think you know an awful lot. I guess it just doesn't add up. I discussed this case personally with Homeland Security officials, and it was they who posited the above theory...NOT me thinking too much. Only thing I was thinking about was my professional well-being, my family, and how to make it all go away.

If you would be so kind, I would love a PM with more information. just click below. I would appreciate the ability to put closure to this, and if the information delivered to me by officials is flat wrong, I would rather be informed and NOT pass bad information.

Thanks for the insight.