What's the deal with the Armed Forces album cover?

Pretty self-explanatory
Chrille

What's the deal with the Armed Forces album cover?

Post by Chrille »

Are there two versions of the Armed Forces cover art? I have the one with the elephants on and I do see it online occasionally. However, most of the time there's the one with E.C & The attractions and the album title written in sloppy red, blue and yellow paint (which looks much cooler than the elephant one). This one is on the back of my A.F cd booklet.

So. I'm guessing either someone screwed up and scanned the wrong side of the booklet or that this was the cover art of the US version while the Elephants were used for the European one (or vice versa). Anyone know?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Yep, Elephant cover was issued in Europe while the other one was US.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Figures, damn Europeans. I want the artsy one!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

see

http://www.elviscostello.info/disc/offi ... fo_a01.htm

The initial UK LP had a fold-out cover . You could re-fold it to re-arrange the images on the back. Saddo that I am I daringly change the fold every time I take out the vinyl ( which is rare these days ; I did so recently when I was replacing the plastic sleeves on the final few hundred albums I'm keeping)
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

BlueChair wrote:Yep, Elephant cover was issued in Europe while the other one was US.
In the same way that the US is too sensitive to have She's Pulling Out The Pin on The Delivery Man, they cannot have an elephant on the cover of Armed Forces.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Chrille wrote:Figures, damn Europeans. I want the artsy one!
Compared to the title 'Armed Forces' the elephant one is the artsy one (and best) in my opinion.
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I greatly prefer the elephant cover.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
TheImposter

Ryko

Post by TheImposter »

The Ryko reissue had the elephants.

Didn't Barney Bubbles create the sloppy paint cover?
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I had a theory that the US was changed because the elephant is the symbol of the Republican party, and it might have been seen as critiscism...but the prez in 1979 was Jimmy Carter, so who knows?

You're right though, the elephants are great....I can only imagine they are there to represent 'brute force' or something.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

laughingcrow wrote:You're right though, the elephants are great....I can only imagine they are there to represent 'brute force' or something.
Perhaps it was in tribute of Fleetwood Mac's Tusk. They both came out in the same year didn't they? :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Elephants - Armed by nature.

It's a great cover - second best next to Almost Blue
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Hehe, I dunno, placing all the albums next to each other, there's just something about the elephants cover that doesn't quite fit in with the rest. Although it appears I'm the only one who thinks so :P.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I think the elephants are a clear referrence to Hannibal crossing the Alps on elephants in his famous invasion. Armed Forces...
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

The UK version included Sunday's Best, with the line "Hearts of oak and long trunk calls".

This track was missing from the US version, as was the elephant.

Coincidence ???
A rope leash

Telephones

Post by A rope leash »

A "trunk" line is a large-capacity telephone line, often used for long-distance calls.

I'll bet you knew that.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Aah..this might explain it...

http://www.USHistoryonline.com/eleph7919
On the 18th March 1979, Gorbachev was elected the premier of the USSR, and on his inauguration at the Kremlin (which traditionally takes place on the back of a bull African elephant) he declared the US to be 'a nightmare state of capitalists and criminals'. This led to public outcry and a widespread boycott on all goods featuring elephants in the United States that year.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

laughingcrow wrote:
This led to public outcry and a widespread boycott on all goods featuring elephants in the United States that year.
Well I wasn't the most politically aware person at age 17 but hell if I remember that. I like it, though!!

PS-- Am I fabricating the memory that the elephant appeared on one side of the liner sleeve of the US 'splatter' edition? I no longer have it to check...
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Gorbachev? In 1979? I don't think so.
--William Shakespeare
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Yeah see that part went right past me!!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

:lol: That was just a little bit of whimsy there..to lighten our days!

Gorbs wasn't Russian premier until 1985!

The great Elephant mystery still remains though! I like VonOft and Noise's theories...