Recent CD Purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

LTZ, you continue to surprise and delight me. It really is just a great record, isn't it?! You're right about PM and his reprises...
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Just got 'The Hour Of Two Lights' by Terry Hall (yes the Special/Fun Boy 1) & Mushtaq, after listening to it on the record shop earphones. It's really good with lots of morrocan type instruments and some luverly drumbeats.
signed with love and vicious kisses
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

If anyone's thinking about getting the Coral's 'Magic & Medicine'...DON'T! Get your melodic scouse via Shack's 'Here's Tom With The Weather'. Much, much better. They've had their fair share of bad luck but still manage to be 100x better than the Coral. 'HMS Fable' by them is still one of my favourites from the past 5 years.

I'm off to find me some dusty vinyl.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I've got Natalie's Party on a Q compilation, and liked that. Seems to be quite a buzz about the new one.

I was pretty impressed to find 6 CDs I wanted all at £8.99 (delivered) on CD WOW: al three new EC reissues (at last), Hail To The Thief (at last), latest Lloyd Cole (at last), and Damien Rice 'O'. Anyone heard of him? Dublin singer-songwriter. Seen some rave notices. Am a bit worried he'll only be slightly better than David Grey, but I'm sure he'll be more interesting. David Grey is just so tedious.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

I got my first ever copy of 'Almost Blue' yesterday! Of course, I've heard the record by way of my Aunt but I've never actually owned it.

Also picked up records by these along the way:

Merle Haggard
Conway Twitty
Roy Acuff
Betty Everett
Ella Fitzgerald sings Gershwin
Mendelssohn
Brahms
And a cheap compilation of jazz pianists
Otis Westinghouse

Eclectic or what! I too have never owned AB, but isn't it in the next 3 reissues? Actually I think that was KV. Will they do AB? It's all too complicated.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Before the power failure hit yesterday I picked up:

Fairport Convention - Unhalfbricking (which contains one of the greatest Dylan covers ever... a beautiful take on "Percy's Song")

Etta James - Her Best

Al Green - I'm Still In Love With You
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:I too have never owned AB, but isn't it in the next 3 reissues? Actually I think that was KV. Will they do AB? It's all too complicated.
The next set will contain both KV and AB, together with King of America*, the "American-roots side of Elvis."

*YAAAAAYYYYYY
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Sonny Rollins - Complete Prestige Recordings
Albert King - Ultimate Collection
Coasters - 50 Coastin' Classics
Crescent City Soul - The Sound of New Orleans 1947-74
Stevie Wonder Presents Syreeta (LP)
katoomba

Post by katoomba »

Badly drawn boy, The hour of bewilderbeast. And as a birthday gift a 3 cd set, the look of love The Burt Bacharach collection. Both excellent .
girl out of time

recent purchases

Post by girl out of time »

-bauhaus/ 1979-1983 volume 2
-the sham 69/complete live recordings
-jane´s addiction/ritual de lo habitual
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
Otis Westinghouse

Thanks Hungup, no doubt they'll be months late, but it'll be fun. Can'twait to own KOA on CD at last, and hope it's a killer bonus too.

GOOT: I never had any time for Bauhaus, with their totally unimaginative cover of Ziggy, etc., but I must say the complete live recordings of Sham 69 sounds like a scream. I hope there aren't too many skinhead invasions during the songs, which was what their gigs were mainly notable for. You do have fascinating tastes! Hurry Up Harry ('We're going down the pub!'), Hersham Boys ('laced up boots and corduroys') and their big hit If The Kids Are United ('they will never be divided'), classics all. I think they're still out there somewhere. Jimmy Pursey was quite a character, the original mouth almighty. Were they ever big in Argentina?
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Picked up AB on cheap vinyl so I'm still looking forward to the reissue. Heard, but never owned KV either, and I bought my mother the old KOA reissue (the one with the Broadway disc). My ma's favourite EC record is KOA. How cool is that?!
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

BlueChair wrote: Fairport Convention - Unhalfbricking (which contains one of the greatest Dylan covers ever... a beautiful take on "Percy's Song")
That is a great, great cover!

I picked up Charlie Rich's Feel Like Going Home 2 disc compilation and it is STAGGERING. Blue, you would especially like his cover of When There's Something Wrong With My Baby. The demo take on the title track can move heaven and earth.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

My grandparents were moving and my grandmother mentioned that there are 3 boxes of LP's that I can take if I want them.

I guess some of my aunt's old LP's must be mixed in here:

Wings At The Speed Of Sound
Joe Jackson - Look Sharp
Joe Jackson - I'm The Man

Unfortunately there are a lot of great LP's that I already have.. like Simon & Garfunkel's Bridge Over Troubled Water, Talking Heads '77, Bruce Springsteen - Greetings From Asbury Park NJ, and Squeeze's Argybargy. But it's cool to get the afformentioned!
girl out of time

Otis,

The Sham 69 were never big in this country......The Clash was, not to mention The Ramones.....really big in here!!!!!!!!
My favourite Sham 69 song is Trainspotter....I love it! This particular cd I bought includes live interpretations of such classics as Angels with Dirty Faces, If the Kids are United, Rip and Tear, Hurry up Harry and many more.......(+ two excellent covers: White Riot and Day Tripper)

Concerning Bauhaus.....give it a 2nd chance....there are really good songs out there waiting to be heard: crowds, slice of life, she´s in parties, all we ever wanted, swing the heartache......

......thanx Otis for your complimentary remarks.......You have an impeccable taste in music as well!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

cheers!
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
uselessbeauty?

Post by uselessbeauty? »

i personally had a really big week of buying music last week. i got payed!!
so what did i do? i wasted (not really, you have to feed the monkey) all of my money on:

the silver jews-tennessee EP-david berman is one of the only new songwriters out there whom i personally think is worth a damn.

modest mouse-the moon and antarctica-i've heard a lot about these guys and i finally decided to give it a try. i really like it. it's kind of a weird folkish type thing. definitely a great album though

EC-armed forces (vinyl) with the hollywood high EP-the only reason i bought this was for the EP. i already had it on vinyl. but i just had to have that little extra

hot hot heat-make up the breakdown-i really like this one a lot too. not as much as some of my friends but alas, that's the way it goes. "oh goddamnit" is a great song. very strokes-ish

david gray-white ladder-i think i may have been one of like three people who did buy this one in the first year of it coming out. but my former roomate got me into him and i can't just steal his cd any longer. coincidentally my mom stole my copy.

EC-girls, girls, girls-the best, best compilation of costello's stuff ever. i finally found it in a record store.

u2-the joshua treee (on vinyl)-for some reason i didn't have this and i saw it on vinyl the other day and just had to pick it up.

tom waits-small change (on vinyl)-i had never heard this one before and it's quickly becoming my favourite of his. it has what is possibly his best line ever----"i don't have a drinking problem/unless i can't find a drink."

the band-greatest hits-i love the band so much. and it's incredibly difficult to find the albums where i live. the only one i've found so far is the very very good music from big pink. you just have to love a band that backed dylan.

EC-imperial bedroom rhino reissue-i finally got it back. when i went off to school last year my copy was stolen and i still haven't gotten over it. i love this album so much

tori amos-scarletts walk-i don't like this one as much as some of her others but it's still a very good album. i love 'a sorta fairytale'

tori amos-under the pink-when i got this one i've finally come very close to completing my collection of her albums. and i get to go see her saturday. SWEET!!!

The White Stripes-Conan O'brixton bootleg-the white stripes are probably my second or third favourite band of all time and this has all of the stuff that they did on conan o'brien. the version of jolene is so incredible.

wow, i spent a lot of money, and what's sad is that's not all that i bought. the rest of the list is....

eels-electro-shock blues
beastie boys-anthology (used)
and various others i can't remember right this second. :D :D :D :D
i knew they were going to fire me after i stole the eighteen wheeler. so i quit first.
true story
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

That's surprising that you can't find The Band's albums where you live. Their entire catalogue was remastered in 1999 and 2000, and the reissues are very good, with liner notes by a Toronto musicologist who teaches at a University here (not the one I go to unfortunately :D) and bonus tracks (I'm assuming that's what your Music From Big Pink is)

I finally picked up The Band's Northern Lights Southern Cross on CD yesterday and it's phenomenal. I've had it on vinyl for years, but decided the time had come for me to finally get it on CD and I'm glad I did. What I *really* want sometime soon is the 4CD Last Waltz box set *drool*
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Just bought Gaucho by Steely Dan... it's on it's way.

Ampology by the Hoodoo Gurus, a compilation. Check out this great, now defunct (willingly and happily metamorphosized into Persian Rugs to go out as the HG's in the best possible way), Aussie band's music. I admire them so much for taking this rare and liberating course of action, instead of living off of their past to some degree.

Just ordered the latest EC reissues.

Gung Ho, Patti Smith... after only a couple of listens I can already tell I'm going to love this album.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Most recently acquired:

Tom Waits - Mule Variations
The Who - The Kids Are Alright
Weezer - Maladroit
The Byrds - Turn Turn Turn
The Libertines - Up the Bracket
The Clash - Give Em Enough Rope
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisted
Bob Dylan - Rolling Thunder Revue
Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
Vic Chesnut - Silver Lake

Luckily I only had to buy 2 of those myself . . . excellent 8)
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Those are some excellent choices, pip!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Went on a Dylan bender:

Highway 61 Revisited
Planet Waves
Bringing It All Back Home
John Wesley Harding
Nashville Skyline
Slow Train Coming

Can't believe it took me so ong to finally get these. Every single one a classic.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Too bad they're reissuing them in September :D
girl out of time

recent purchases

........substance/new order.............introducing the style council/the style council.........something you got/chuck jackson & maxim brown
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

No, it's not too bad. I didn't buy these. I doenloaded them--because they're reissuing them in September. I figured I'd listen to each one and decide which to buy. I'm going to have to buy all of them.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare