Recent CD Purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Mental cover!
Yeah, more than a little bizarre.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Perfect power pop with gorgeous harmonies. You can listen to the album at http://www.cdbaby.com/review/bees2
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Odds and ends over the past month or so:

The Rolling Stones - Black and Blue and Goat's Head Soup (just completing the collection slowly but surely. Don't love either of them, but a couple of good tracks each and Goat's Head is kind of fun and weird).

The Rolling Stones - Tattoo You (see above, but this album I really like, especially Waiting on a Friend, my all time favorite Stones song)

Keane - Under the Iron Sea (Mmmeeeh. On the first album they had some appealing tunes. Not so much on this one)

The new Sleepy Jackson album (already forgot the title, but I liked it on first spin, will take a few more)

In Nashville I picked up:
Essential George Jones
Modern Sounds in Country and Western - Ray Charles
The Louvin Brothers sing Their Current Hits
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

For the UK reader...

I went into Woolworths at lunchtime and they have a great sale on. I picked up

Paul Weller's first solo album and
The Jam - Live Jam

for £3 each.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

M. Ward's Post-War should be on its way to me shortly, and if last night's performance on Letterman is anything to go by, I'm in for a treat - both with the album and when I see him live next month with his band.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:M. Ward's Post-War should be on its way to me shortly, and if last night's performance on Letterman is anything to go by, I'm in for a treat - both with the album and when I see him live next month with his band.
Supposedly its release date has been bumped to next Tuesday. Between Dylan and M. Ward it should be a great day for new music.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

The new Pernice Brothers album, Live a Little, will be out in early October and if you pre-order now from the PBs site you'll get a free bonus CD of demos and alternate versions signed by Joe (the signing video is a bit of a hoot):

http://www.ashmontrecords.com/store/liv ... eorder.php
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Had to get this in good advance of end Sept NY gig to be up on all the songs, but there are so many, that's a talll order! In response to the bad Ambassador accusation that Sufjan lacks quality control and is incapable of not introducing the kitchen sink into the equation, I would say 'yes but all of Illinois is worthwhile; long and sprawling, yes, but fantastically high quality music.' It's hilarious that instead of proceeding with his insanely unrealisable (perhaps by anyone other than him!) plan of releasing a CD per US state, off he goes and puts out a second CD for Illinois, and sends himself up by putting 'shamelessly compiled by Sufjan Stevens' on the cover and calling it Avalanche. The man is a loon, but oozes talent and imagination. So far, so good. Probably not in the same league as Illinois, but that took a while to grow on me. Reviews of Avalanche have been tremendously positive over here. No other SS fans indulged yet? I also took Seven Swans out of the library, but need to check out Michigan too!

Info on Avalanche here.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:The new Pernice Brothers album, Live a Little, will be out in early October and if you pre-order now from the PBs site you'll get a free bonus CD of demos and alternate versions signed by Joe (the signing video is a bit of a hoot):

http://www.ashmontrecords.com/store/liv ... eorder.php
Cheers for the tip off. Uk customers should go to the One Little Indian Shop.

A reasonable pile has entered the house this week:
Brothes & Sisters: Dylan's Gospel
Magnolia Electric Co: Trials & Errors
The Dears: Gang Of Losers
Dylan: Modern Times
Songs Ohia: Magnolia Electric Co (Lp with bonus CD of demos)

Hard to fault any of them, which is rather good.
Otis Westinghouse

What are 1, 2 and 5? Aren't The Dears a third-rate (or maybe just second) Smiths homage band?

No Avalanche?
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

1 is a recording from the end of the 60s featuring a selection of soul singers, including Merry Clayton and Judy Collins doing ten Dylan tracks in a gospel style. Mark Lamarr turned me onto it via his superb Friday Night / Saturday Morning show on Radio 2.
2 is the latest guide of Jason Molina, although that'll mean nowt if you don't know what 5 is, as that was his previous guise. It's a kind of countrified rock. 5 has been compared with Neil Young but he's also quite a downbeat alternative kind of chap. Rather low-fi at times, although both of these are more live band sounding. Highly recommeneded, but you might want to listen to a few bits first. You can get samples from the Secretly Canadian website.
As for The Dears they're far more than that. There are elements of the Smiths and Britpop-era Blur, but only in passing. Although there are occassional slips there lyrics are far less grandiose and self-aware and the music is much more raw and rocky on this one. I'm really enjoying all of these.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
Otis Westinghouse

That don't work, for me, at least.

Thanks for notes, BA. Gospel Dylan sounds a must!
Otis Westinghouse

Correction: it opened up iTunes and showed me Little Miss Sunshine OST. Can't wait to see that soon. Soundtrack features Sufjan, enhancing my wish to see it even further.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

...and it features music by Devotchka, a really terrific band from Denver.
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

The Golden Hum - Remy Zero ----- Pretty good. A $1.00 well spent
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Young Miles
Miles Davis

Personnel includes: Miles Davis (trumpet); Gil Evans (arranger); Sarah Vaughan, Billy Eckstine (vocals); Charlie Parker, Lee Konitz (alto saxophone); Lucky Thompson, Coleman Hawkins, James Moody (tenor saxophone); Gerry Mulligan (baritone saxophone); Dizzy Gillespie (trumpet, piano); J.J. Johnson (trombone); Duke Jordan, Al Haig, John Lewis, Tadd Dameron (piano); Tommy Potter (bass); Max Roach, Kenny Clarke (drums). Recorded between 1945 & 1950. Includes liner notes by Joop Visser. 82 early tracks including classic encounters with Charlie Parker, the immortal 'Birth of the Cool' sessions and work with Sarah Vaughan. 2001 release
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Otis Westinghouse

So is it worth listening to then?
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Not if you are new to Miles. Too many others that would precede this on the "must have" list. But as regards understanding the development of Miles and the influences and textures that are later manifest in his vision, it is well worth it. My daughter purchased it for 30$ US (4 disks) in DC, but Amazon has it for less.
Otis Westinghouse

I know Kind of Blue well and In A Silent Way, Tutu and You're Under Arrest, oh and live at the something Nickel, early 60s, I think, but never got any further. Always wnated to get Bitches Brew. Good next move? If not, any thoughts? Have I bragged to you how I saw him 3 times in 1987/88 (Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid)?
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Last week got:

The Aislers Set - How I Learned to Write Backwards
The Hold Steady - Separation Sunday

The first is sounding a little too fey for my mood of late, but I've been listening to the Hold Steady every morning. So good! Any other takers?
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I would have killed to see him, but didn't appreciate him until about 20 years ago, and he has been dead for 15 years. I can't imagine seeing him in concert. I'm happy for you.

Bitches Brew is a total departure from the incredible and literally unparalleled sounds of Kind of Blue and In a Silent Way (Modal Jazz). And not nearly as accessible. I recommend Sketches of Spain next, then Tribute to Jack Johnson (for many years Miles favorite of all his works). "Tribute" features John McLaughlin and Herbie Hancock, and move's you more gradually to the sound of Bitches Brew (ironically, released a year earlier but more aimless...a foray into jazz rock that left the more "Traditional" jazz world disgruntled).

So many herald Bitches Brew because it was such a departure and lots of hype surrounded it. The "in crowd" who did not "get" Bitches Brew sang its praises nonetheless, feeling like it MUST be a masterpiece, they just did not know why. In fact, it is far from Miles best, and while it was totally hip to embrace it at the time, history shows that it pales considerably in comparison to other great Miles recordings. It did, probably, stimulate the creation of Josef Zawinul's "Weather Report", arguably one of the greatest bands of all time.

I really like Tutu. If you like that later-day Miles sound, try Amandla, which I think followed it.
Otis Westinghouse

Forgot, I have Sketches on vinyl, and as a lover of the country and ex-resident appreciate it massively (for me it's the definitive version of the Concierto de Aranjuez). Never heard of Tribute, so will check this out.
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

I'm interested in listening to Miles as well (and Weather Report) actually. I do think I would be most interested in starting at Bitches Brew though.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Bitches Brew is a fine album IMO, though a bit of a marathon. I'd agree with Mr. A that Jack Johnson is a good place to start if you're looking to explore this phase of Miles' career. I would also put in a good word for Miles Smiles and Nefertiti, recorded with what I think was his best ever lineup, his second quintet with Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter and Tony Williams.