Some EC songs I haven't heard

Pretty self-explanatory
Branst

Some EC songs I haven't heard

Post by Branst »

I was looking at the miscellaneous lyrics section at Elviscostello.info and noticed a few songs that I haven't heard yet. I was wondering if anyone can tell me where I can find them.

Alibi Factory (I notice the lyrics are the same as Alibi on WIWC but is this a studio demo?)
Bright Blue Times (I have a really bad quality live version and you can barely hear what he's saying, wondering if there's an alternate version)
Come Away, Death
Couldn't You Keep That To Yourself
I Dreamed Of My Old Lover Last Night
The King of the Unknown Sea
Lesson In Cruelty
Long Journey Home
O, Mistress Mine
Suspect My Tears
The Unfailing Welcome To The Voice
When That I Was And A Little Tiny Boy

I also heard someone mention a song called "Thats What Friends Are For." Can anyone give me any info about this?
snarling pup

unheard songs

Post by snarling pup »

These are from John Harle's "Terror and Magnificence" CD

Come Away Death
When That I Was And a Little Tiny Boy
O Mistress Mine

and they also appear on the BBC "Songs from A History of Britain" CD.

"Long Journey Home" is from a soundtrack of the same name.
Mr. Misery

Re: Some EC songs I haven't heard

Post by Mr. Misery »

Branst wrote:I also heard someone mention a song called "Thats What Friends Are For." Can anyone give me any info about this?
I think it was written but not recorded. The sheet music can be found in "The Singing Dictionary," a collection of guitar and piano notation to early EC songs. Droll lyrics about drunkenness and betrayal, a sort of companion piece to "Party Party."
ImageImage
I've had you so many times but somehow I want more.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

"Alibi Factory" was the title of "Alibi" when it was premiered in concert in 1999. At that point it was only half as long as the album version, but it's otherwise the same song.

"Bright Blue Times" does exist as a studio demo.

"Couldn't You Keep That To Yourself" was played live by EC in 1999. It has been released in a version by Ute Lemper.

"I Dreamed Of My Old Lover Last Night" was played live in 1999. It was described then as part of the "Delivery Man" project, but it doesn't seem to be under consideration for the new album.

"The King of the Unknown Sea" was written by EC and Michael Thomas of the Brodsky Quartet. It was premiered during the "Juliet Letters" tour and has been played at some of the later EC/Brodsky shows as well, but it has not been released in any form.

"Lesson In Cruelty" was written by EC and Steve Nieve and has been played at some of their concerts together.

"Suspect My Tears" was played live in 1999 and reappeared at the Oxford and Memphis shows this year.

"The Unfailing Welcome To The Voice" is from Steve Nieve's opera, "Welcome to the Voice," written by Steve and Muriel Teodori.

"Thats What Friends Are For" was written by EC and recorded by Georgie Fame.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

That Harle CD is really good...I'd reccomend it, and not just for EC (Come away death is ace!).
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Branst wrote:I also heard someone mention a song called "Thats What Friends Are For." Can anyone give me any info about this?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

RE: That's what friends are for (Bacharach's worst track?)...Are there any other songs which have the same name as an EC track? I was recently shocked to find that Cliff Richard had done a song called Peace in our time, then found out that 10CC and Big Country had also done different songs called that.
Any others pop-picklers?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

There's, "I Want You" of course, which is also the name of a Dylan, Waits, and (sort of) Beatles track.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.