Unusual EC Song to Spring On People

Pretty self-explanatory
bambooneedle

Unusual EC Song to Spring On People

Post by bambooneedle »

Someone comes over. You feel like playing some EC. They've heard Alison and so on, but otherwise don't have much of a clue... they might not even recognize who it is on your stereo, or they might. But there are many songs and their quirks that only a fan would be used to that might spin them out with one good listen. What song do you put on?

My choice: Sneaky Feelings
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

The Beat, every time.

That is always my starter song for new EC listeners.
Branst

Post by Branst »

Kinder Murder
Watching_Detectives

Post by Watching_Detectives »

Luxembourg...most definately.
It nearly took a mircacle to get you to stay
It only took my little finger to blow you away.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Great Train Robberies or Chewing Gum...........but many non Elvis fans seem to like Spooky Girlfriend when they hear it!
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

All this useless beauty, the album....introduces them into a new side of EC. Not that I wholly agree with using EC as 'music to be distracted to' though, and you can't just sit there in silence saying 'listen to this' and staring at their face, hoping they won't hate it!

Easier to just burn them a copy of an EC album you think matches their taste, then wait for them to come back for more. 8) (heaven forbid Im promoting piracy though... :lol: )

If it had to be one track......This Town.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Hah, I did it wrong.

correction:
UNUSUAL - "Luxembourg"
MY USUAL - "The Beat"
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

I always push When I Was Cruel no. 2 on newbies.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

You want to KISS her, but she's busy with her maay-kup!
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
girl out of time

Post by girl out of time »

great choice El VEZ!......i´d go with my dark life
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

girl out of time wrote:great choice El VEZ!......i´d go with my dark life
Thanks, this was the song that truly got the ball rolling for me as an E.C. fan. Before I heard it for the first time, I liked his music but wasn't a huge admirer. After hearing WIWC #2, I got very curious and now he is one of my all time musical heroes. So, for that reason, I always try to sneak this one in for other people.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I did this wrong again.

Man, I'm crazy. I give up.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Luxembourg is the worst piece of crap that EC has ever blasted out of his bowels..........
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Copenhagen Fan wrote:Luxembourg is the worst piece of crap that EC has ever blasted out of his bowels..........
Hmm. I put it down because I thought we were supposed to type a song that you would never put on for new listeners.

After hearing the original demo tracks that led to Luxembourg, I enjoy it much more.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Hurry Up Doomsday (The bugs are taking over), loud with the bass turned up to get that chugging rhythm resonating in their chest.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

girl out of time wrote:great choice El VEZ!......i´d go with my dark life
That would be my choice too. One of his most underrated songs, and in a style completely different from everything else he's done.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I'll Wear It Proudly

or

Distorted Angel (ElVez - I'm surprised you didn't choose that one!)
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

spooky girlfriend wrote: Distorted Angel (ElVez - I'm surprised you didn't choose that one!)
That Tricky remix always makes the cut when I'm doing a mix tape or cd-r but if I had to pick just one song then it would be WIWC #2.
legman open to offers

Post by legman open to offers »

I recently started seeing a young lady, and wondered how to introduce her to EC. What better way than taking her to an Olivers Army gig. This idea produced great results, as she really dug the live versions. Later that night, North was perfect. North has been getting more playing time from me lately.
I think PLU is the perfect intro song for any new listener. Also to be able to play PLU video from EC hosting Letterman before the Iraq invasion.
Now I'm the invisible man, and you can't see me.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Ooh, you go, legman! Go get you some of that - good luck!
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Audience dependent. I understand that I am not playing by the rules, but why start now?

For my peers, the openiing trilogy of "Get Happy" always commands a positive response: "Love for Tender, Opportunity, The Imposter". Since they are short songs, I'll consider them as one because they work with a certain synergy to pull the listener in.

Younger crowds respond well to the opening trilogy of "Punch the Clock": "Let Them All Talk, Everyday I Write the Book, and, especially, The Gretaest Thing (horns cannot be ignored). I think they have heard a muzac version of "Everyday" and it fires a few synapses that they don't understand, but they like. They just don't understand why. Very often: " I have heard this song somewhere before...but I can't recall...".

Finally, if my Mom and her bridge club are doing the "Alice Kravitz" thing and I want to get a rise out of them, I put on selections from "Painted From Memory" (specifically, "Toledo, This House is Empty Now, and I Still Have That Other Girl"

You asked for a song and I came up with 9 bundled in sets of three. I think I am discovering that I have a problem with following the rules.

Maybe that explains my love for "? and the Mysteryions".
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Toledo is beautiful.

It made me :shock: , makes me :!: , and will soon make me :x .
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Sorta depends on who the lucky victim is, but No Action, Spooky Girlfriend, I Almost Had A Weakness, Accidents Will Happen, Let Him Dangle, Shipbuilding, Lipstick Vogue, I Want You and the Costello/Nieve version of Temptation have all done the honours at some point. But the one that works best is the 13 Steps Lead Down/Radio Radio '94 medley that I'm always on about.
What this world needs is more silly men.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

After listening today, "Girls Talk" seems to be a great, unexpected track to tug in a new listener.

I would use the combined efforts of "The Land Of Give And Take" and "Beyond Belief" as well.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

wehitandrun wrote:
Copenhagen Fan wrote:Luxembourg is the worst piece of crap that EC has ever blasted out of his bowels..........
Hmm. I put it down because I thought we were supposed to type a song that you would never put on for new listeners.

After hearing the original demo tracks that led to Luxembourg, I enjoy it much more.
Dude be my guest....I just hate that song.....as well as most of the Elvis songs that are kinda hokey because they are played at a speed that is way too fast....I'm not into Country Western Elvis or Wacky Zany Madcap Hyjinx Elvis...........Glitter Gulch would be a steaming turd that fits into both categories :lol: