new elvis recordings?

Pretty self-explanatory
yourheropat

new elvis recordings?

Post by yourheropat »

hi, i'm from oxford, mississippi and we have a pretty famous recording studio here and have been hearing rumors of elvis coming here for about a month doing recordings and playing 2 shows, one on april 1 and one april 2nd...has anybody else heard rumors that elvis may be recording again?

-Patrick
migdd

Post by migdd »

Soundsa like an April Fools Day and Day After April Fools Day joke, but who knows!
yourheropat

Post by yourheropat »

woops, i mean april 2nd and april 3rd....but i don't know, i guess we'll see our local record store says its true.... http://www.hotdogrecords.org

i guess i'll keep you posted, otherwise i'll be across the street from the studio in my lawn chair sipping on my drink.

-Patrick
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Though I`ll cover myself by accepting the validity of the `April Fools` possibility there are some interesting aspects to this story. Besides the English date at the end of the month Elvis has nothing else scheduled. Ms Krall`s album is coming out. She will be busy promoting that. I reckon Elvis may well keep away from all that , prefering to not be a distracting presence.

Imposters Pete Thomas and Davey Faragher have worked in Oxford, Mississippi , recording an album with Buddy Guy there a few years ago. Solomon Burke`s record label Fat Possum is based there. Perhaps this will be the long promised `Southern States` album . All very intriguing.

I think it`s time to bookmark a few Mississippi newspaper sites and keep an eye on them...
yourheropat

Post by yourheropat »

yeah, sweet tea studios...counting crows, neilson hubbard, eric clapton have all been there.

http://www.thedmonline.com is the paper you should probably keep a look at it for updates, otherwise, i'll be sure to keep everybody updated since i'm here in oxford, they say tickets are for sale, but nobody has officicially announed it, so i'm going to stop by the record store tomorrow and see if i can get some....this is a pretty small town.

-Patrick
AlmostBlue

Post by AlmostBlue »

hmm.. more rumor spreading ??
http://elvis-costello.com/news/

March 22, 2004
Elvis Costello Live In Oxford, Mississippi, April 2 & 3
From Hotdog Records: "We are happy to announce that Elvis Costello will play two nights at Proud Larry's - Friday, April 2, and Saturday, April 3. Tickets are $20 and will go on sale at Hot Dog Records and http://www.proudlarrys.com

Posted by PostMaster General at 05:45 PM | Comments (0)
yourheropat

Post by yourheropat »

yeah, i gave yall the link to hotdog records where they got that from up at the top, like i said, i'll run by the store tomorrow and find out what the deal is, but we've been hearing all type of talk around here for about 2 months now about him recording. A friend of mine who has been recording at the studio said he's coming, so that comes from the studio.

-Patrick
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Just had to look up Oxford , Miss. on the
`net - have you seen the local Chamber Of Commerce`s
site ?

http://www.oxfordms.com/

- with it`s headline
`Oxford , Mississippi - A Nice Place To Live`

- then Elvis `n co. arrive and throw a
strop over the lack of a suitable sushi bar .

It also has this -

A Brief History

Chickasaw Indians once inhabited this area now
known as Lafayette County. In 1835, three businessmen
built a log cabin and opened a general store atop a
hill that was destined to become the Square. T.D.
Isom, the nephew of one of these men, suggested they
name the town "Oxford" after the city in England that
housed the great British university. In doing so,
Isom hoped that the town would be selected as the
location for the state's first public university.
Eleven years later, in 1848, the University of
Mississippi marched off to battle under the name "the
University Greys," only to be decimated at Gettysburg.
Then, in 1864, Oxford was nearly devastated when
General A.J. "Whisky" Smith set fire to the town,
burning the courthouse, most of the Square, and many
private residences.

Oxford's downtown district has gone through many
stages of restoration during the 20th century.
Nevertheless, the district has consistently remained
the center of commerce, culture, and activity for the
Oxford area.

The greatest American writer of the 20th century,
William Faulkner, immortalized the vivid characters
that walked Oxford's streets, managed its stores, and
lived in its historic homes. Oxford's unique charm
captivates its visitors like a true Southern Classic.

------------------------------------------------------

If Elvis gets tired of the free HBO on
his motel TV he could try and get a ticket for this -

Monday, April 12, 2004

8 p.m. Ole Miss Piano Series: Stanislav Ioudenitch

Performance will be held at the Ford Center for the
Performing Arts. The gold-medalist at the 11th Van
Cliburn International Piano Competition in 2001,
Stanislav Ioudenitch has grown into one of the music
world's most promising young artists.

And he`ll definitely feel at home in Hotdog
Records ( the place selling tickets for Proud Larrys)

-http://www.hotdogrecords.org/

- check out their photo gallery - they have a
huge MAIT poster framed on one wall.

Elvis in a small town for a month - the
possibilites are endless.
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

If, at the next EC concert I attend, he drawls, "Thank y'all for coming, ah 'preciate it," I'm walking out.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
yourheropat

Post by yourheropat »

i'm going to get him to say yall if i have anything to do with it...hah.

the owner of the record store confirmed with me that he will be playing for sure april 2 and april 3. He told me the "super details" will be out as early as Saturday or as late as Monday. so yeah, keep on your toes.

-Patrick
migdd

Post by migdd »

This is pretty exciting news! I rescind my April Fools comments! I guess you can expect a bunch of new songs as it looks like EC and the Imposters are going to make good on their "South" album concept. Wonder if all of the "Delivery Man" songs played during the recent EC/Nieve tour figure into the new album in any way?
yourheropat

Post by yourheropat »

according to proudlarrys.com, the place where elvis will be playing:

in rehearsal for the Sweet Tea Sessions...Purchase tickets with credit cards here online, or with cash at Proud Larrys or Hotdog Records, Tuesday March 30th, at 10:00 am.

-Patrick
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

This is GREAT news- EC didn't come very close during the current tour, so a chance to see him in a club with the Imposters is huge. I'll be going on Saturday night (provided I score tickets of course). Anyone else going to make the journey? Spooky?
jillbeast

Going to Memphis!

Post by jillbeast »

I'm coming in from Northern California, and I have my airline tickets yet no venue tickets yet (except by the grace of graceland!). I hope to see you all at the shows! Friday and Saturday nights! PM me if you want to meet up with me and another fan from So. California!

Jill
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

DrS and I are sooooooo there, assuming we can score tickets. We would be going to the Saturday night show and staying somewhere nearby for the night.

Jill - impressive that you would come that far! I'd love to meet you.

Pophead, likewise!

Oooooh, I need the ticket gods on my side on Tuesday morning!!!!! :twisted:
daybreaker

This is 100% confirmed

Post by daybreaker »

The Memphis Commercial Appeal has confirmed the rumors.

Elvis will be playing at Proud Larry's April 2 and 3 and at the Hi-Tone Cafe in Memphis on April 16 and 17.

This is completely and totally awesome!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

You need to reg. ; I did ( aint I great?) and got this -

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/mus ... 76,00.html

Costello slated for rare club gigs
By John Beifuss
Contact
March 27, 2004

Elvis Costello - the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame member recognized as one of the most distinctive songwriters and performers in popular music - will be in Memphis and Oxford, Miss., next month for a series of rare club appearances.

Costello is scheduled to perform Friday and Saturday, April 3, at Proud Larry's in Oxford and April 16 and 17 at the Hi-Tone Cafe, 1913 Poplar.

The performances bookend sessions for Costello's new album, scheduled to take place at Sweet Tea Recording in Oxford with studio owner Dennis Herring, who has produced records by Counting Crows and former Memphian Garrison Starr, among others.

Herring previously worked with Costello's current bass player, Davey Faragher, on records by the bands Cracker and Camper Van Beethoven.

The last time an artist of Costello's stature played a club show in Memphis may have been Feb. 5, 1999, when Bob Dylan performed at the New Daisy.

"We're beyond honored, of course," said David Green, owner of the Hi-Tone, which likely will present two Costello shows per night. Tickets are $20 each and go on sale Wednesday at the club or online at http://www.musictoday.com.

"This is the coolest thing that's ever happened in this town," said Zach Thompson, owner of Hot Dog Records in Oxford, where $25 tickets for the Proud Larry's show go on sale Tuesday at 10 a.m. "He's one of my heroes."

Tickets for the Oxford shows also go on sale Tuesday at Proud Larry's and at http://www.proudlarrys.com.

"There's not a whole lot to compare this to, because it's pretty epic," said Proud Larry's owner Scott Caradine, citing shows featuring Warren Zevon and Roger McGuinn as previous highlights for his club.

Costello is a frequent visitor to Nashville, where he recorded his "Almost Blue" country album in 1981, but he hasn't performed in Memphis or the Mid-South since a 1994 concert at Mud Island.

Liverpool-born Declan Patrick McManus became Elvis Costello in 1977, and the musician has paid homage to Memphis's musical heritage many times since borrowing his stage name from Presley.

Costello's 1980 album "Get Happy!!" - featuring a cover of Sam and Dave's "I Can't Stand Up (For Falling Down)" - was his revved-up homage to Stax, and he has worked with Roy Orbison and veterans of Presley's 'TCB Band.' He wrote for Johnny Cash, and covered songs originally released on the Stax, Sun, Hi and Goldwax labels.

Costello emerged during the punk era with caustic songs about "revenge and guilt," but in recent years he has collaborated with Tony Bennett, Burt Bacharach and a string quartet. In December, he made news when he married jazz chanteuse Diana Krall at Elton John's Surrey, England, estate.

Arrangements for the club shows were "hush-hush" until this week, Thompson said. The performances will enable Costello and his band to gauge audience reaction to some of the new songs they are expected to record at Sweet Tea. Some recording work may take place in Memphis as well.

"I think that a lot of acts that go on to sell out venues with 3,000 or 5,000 or 20,000 seats, they really miss playing intimate club gigs," Green said. "It typically takes the right record label and the right agent and the right artist to have the kind of leverage to say, 'Hey, I'm gonna do these shows in front of 200, 300 people.' "

- John Beifuss: 529-2394
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis , Memphis - 4 SHOWS! Two each night!

http://www.hitonememphis.com/calendar.htm

Rare Club Appearance!!!
ELVIS
COSTELLO
2 Shows @ 8:30pm & 11pm
Tix Available on Wed. March 31st
$20

Rare Club Appearance!!!
ELVIS COSTELLO
2 Shows @ 8:30pm & 11pm
Tix Available on Wed. March 31st
$20

Here`s their booking link -

http://www.hitone.musictoday.com/HiTone/calendar.aspx
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

This just can't be happening. I'm the same distance from Memphis as I am from Oxford! Now I'm going to turn into Misha!

DrS wants to try to get tics to Memphis too, but after doing research and finding that Proud Larry's only holds about 300 and Hi-Tone only holds about 200, I'm nervous that I won't get tics. :roll:
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

sugar, you think positive, okay?

memphis!!! oh damn. wanna go to memphis.

just cannot swing it. not gonna work.

y'all have fun, ya hear?
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
yourheropat

Post by yourheropat »

yeah, memphis is a straight hour away from oxford, i'm so at both well...all 6 shows.

-Patrick
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Patrick, what do you guys think about John Grisham' s new book, The Last Juror? Just finished reading it, and it seemed to me to be bit of a savaging of Mississippi small town values. Very sloppily written as well, then again Grisham is not high literature.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Grisham writes glorified film treatments anymore. Hack.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
yourheropat

Post by yourheropat »

yeah, i haven't read it...but he is a pretty crappy writer. he is actually from Oxford, has a pretty big house here, but got fed up with something and moved to Virginia. I've never thought much of him, and in all the movies from the books they make the south seem a lot worse and just really stretch things out.

-Patrick
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Did anyone get tickets? Pat? I clicked right at ten and it was sold out already. I bet they presold a bunch. Rats!!!!