The Sweetest Punch

Pretty self-explanatory
BlueChair

The Sweetest Punch

Post by BlueChair »

Worth picking up, or should I take more time to get into Painted From Memory first (which I am only know starting to enjoy)?

Your thoughts?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Blue...I bought this in January, and (after consideration) I would really really reccomend listening to PFM a lot more before you buy this.

It's jazz-instrumental versions, except for Toledo which has EC singing on it, and I still have that other girl, which has EC and Cassandra Wilson doing a duet. I still don't know whether or not Toledo is the same vocal track as on PFM, but I don't think it is.
Some of the versions are interesting, but I'd go so far as to say that none of them are superior to PFM's arrangements.
It does have one redeeming quality in a track composed by Frissell alone called Vamp Dolce, which is great...but apart from that, I have barely listened to it after the first week or so of buying.

Have you heard Deep Dead Blue? It's good....I'd say listen to that to get a feel for Frissell's guitar work before you get this. (sorry..Im assuming you aren't familiar with him, which Im sure you are)

Here's my thread from January...

http://elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2/vie ... php?t=1522
Last edited by laughingcrow on Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlmostBlue

Post by AlmostBlue »

it is worth getting Sweetest punch simply because it was an independent path based on faxes, phone calls, etc. and EC stated that he liked the results.. and it is less "Alfie / Look of Love" like than PFM...and EC has a guest appearance.. also, it is always intreesting to hear a cover of EC's work because his voice adds so much influence (to the point where many people will not listen) ... But I agree you should get Deep Dead Blue first.
Elvis is probably doing "Song of a Century" with Bill this summer in Germany.. where they choose a standard from each decade.. should be very interesting.
bobster

Post by bobster »

I'd wait -- and I would also get it used...I mean like really cheap!

To me, it's mainly a curiousity. Of course, I'm a lover of Bacharach-esque arrangements and they're completely absent here so perhaps I'm not being completely fair. I do like hearing Cassandra Wilson on a couple of the songs, but on the whole, this collection was a big dissapointment. Not even sure if I've listened to it all the way through.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

i like it. i play it occassionally.

don't pay full price. find it cheap.

some weeks i play PFM nonstop. then, i go weeks w/o wanting to hear it at all. i really do love it though, well, obviously.

i like the added lyrics to Toledo. that one's on my list of top 15. so, for me, was worth buying. NOT full price though.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Listening to boots of recent shows, the PFM songs stick out because they are so melodic. Elvis doesn't have the sense of melody he had before he learnt how to read music. Bacharach clearly injected that element into the tunes they made together and, like most of Bacharach's tunes, the PFM tunes get better with age. The Sweetest Punch is really more of a curio, one gets the impression the truly awesome group of musicians on it are just doing warm-up exercises. So I would agree with the others, get to know PFM first and buy 'Punch' cheap.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=music
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

I also agree w/Laughingcrow et al.
I think I've listened to it twice through and that's about it. It's nice to have but I think DDB is much better.
I'm not angry anymore....
AlmostBlue

Post by AlmostBlue »

martinfoyle wrote: Elvis doesn't have the sense of melody he had before he learnt how to read music. Bacharach clearly injected that element
I disagree.. well at least after hearing "clings like ivy"
and the other songs from the new album
!!
but you are probably corretc... it happended with Macca and Lennon
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Blue, if I still have my old (barely played!) copy at my parents' house, I'll send it to you free of charge...
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

AlmostBlue wrote:
martinfoyle wrote: Elvis doesn't have the sense of melody he had before he learnt how to read music. Bacharach clearly injected that element
I disagree.. well at least after hearing "clings like ivy"
and the other songs from the new album
I haven’t heard these tunes yet, but I'll take your word and hope that Elvis has realised he needs to start using his natural composing skills again and give the clever compositional structures a break. We'll see. I'm hoping to hear the Toronto boot soon.