14%
Sometimes, but hey he's Elvis...he can release 'Mull of Kyntyre' for all I care
24%
Not at all...the sun shines out of his proverbial
62%

Total votes: 29

DrJ

Post by DrJ »

BTW, can we assume that the people in favour of editing are refusing to get the 2-cd reissues?

There's no such thing as too much Elvis!!! Either of them!!!

I think the essence of the question is "If Elvis' records were a bit shorter, would more of the general rabble get turned on to his stuff?" The answer is no.

Now I'll contradict myself a little. Personally I think albums should be 40 minutes long and have 11 tracks. All of them, not just EC. I never really dug the CD-era theory of making the record 70+minutes. However now it's the iPod era and the more songs the better - dump 'em on and shuffle.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Ya know.. it depends on the vision and the strength of the muse at the time in question.

Classical composers sometimes composed 2 minute chamber peices and 3-hour long operas in the same year.

I mean in 1986 Elvis easily could have put out a solid 80 minute album.

Could a 1984 Elvis have done the same? Perhaps not.

I don't really care how long an album is as long as it's good. I can think of a handful of great albums that have come out over the past decade that are more or less at CD capacity. I can think of other wonderful albums that were only a half hour long.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

Clearly the next Poll question should be 'What colour is EC's Shit?'

On the basis of this thread, 'white as the driven snow would be the clear winner'

:roll:
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Well I did use exclaimation marks. Y'know I'm much more ironic in real life.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Jackson Doofster wrote:Clearly the next Poll question should be 'What colour is EC's Shit?'

On the basis of this thread, 'white as the driven snow would be the clear winner'

:roll:

Actually, there hasn't been any asskissing at all. There has only been the truth, and defending of artistry and the rights of the creator.

Go get sad about something else.

<3,
s.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Doof, I think we all agree his shit stinks, it's just picking which stuff is the shit that's tricky. That's why people are wary of the editing, I spose. What if someone had hoovered out HOOVER FACTORY?

:shock:

PS-- I voted for the middle option...
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

The bottom line is that we are spoiled by the fact that Elvis is one of the most consistant pop artists of all-time. Most great artists that have been around as long as Elvis has have at least a few albums that are mostly bad.

And while some artists are forced to scrape together odds and ends to form an album, Elvis is always left with a surplus of extra songs, which is part of why he can justify releasing 2CD reissues of his albums, something not many other artists are justified in doing.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Yeah, lets not talk about Elvis's silky smooth/stenchless shit.

His vomit = cotton candy.

<3,
s.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

You know, we all like different songs of his and if he took any out - someone, somewhere would be unhappy. So we like some and don't like some. Somebody said earlier - skip the ones you don't like and move along.

And I don't want to think about his shit. I have a houseful of kids and a husband, so I don't need to think about any more of that. But thanks for that thought, Doof. :)
Jackson Doofster

It's the missing of the point that makes me laugh.. :lol:

There are very few Elvis Songs that I dislike. Given that I have been buying his records for 25 years, I think that this is truly amazing. Hence, i am not saying that one song is better than another. I am saying that an album as a piece of art (if that is what it is...you may not think so) may be better if songs are placed in certain order or on a different record altogether. Elvis used to be very good at leaving a great song alone until the right time came along..I personally don't think he does that as well as he used to.......It's only my opinion folks.. :D

I understand the argument that this would be hard given the variety of tastes EC fans have, but I happen to hold the view (remember when we had views on this board?) that on some releases (esp WIWC) he has diluted the quality of the album as a whole.

Now, I have no problem with comments similar to thouse made by goody2shoes such as "sometimes you've just gotta try something and hope it works" - that's a cool argument against editing IMHO. It's the 'Elvis can do know wrong' school of thought that I struggle with.

Anyway, I'm glad to see that people are getting a little more lively....

...beats all that "shouldn't we build a statue cos he's so great' bollocks that has been dragging the site down recently.... :D
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Like I said, go get sad about something else.

We're Elvis fans... go figure.

If you have this much of a need for drama, then just kill yourself.

<3,
s.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

WHAR-- deep breaths! Sheesh!

The Doofster has spent more years adoring Elvis than you have spent breathing. (Sorry to you both for having to point that out!) Or are you being facetious, hope hope?
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Hah, I'm just giving him the drama he seeks.

And... why should I care how long he has been an Elvis fan? Really, tell me how that is even close to relevant.

It isn't at all. It doesn't change that I too like Elvis, or that I have purchased twelve reissues in seven months(i know that isnt relevant either, but since we're all showing how big our Elvis Costello balls are, i figired I'd take a stab).

<3,
s.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Jeez, first we bring up shit and now we're talking about balls. Whoa - this is one of those threads that took a turn. :)
Jackson Doofster

How long I have been an Elvis fan IS irrelevant. My God, you wrote something reasonably intelligent. Now try to do it without being insulting or infantile... :lol: :lol:
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Jackson Doofster wrote:How long I have been an Elvis fan IS irrelevant. My God, you wrote something reasonably intelligent. Now try to do it without being insulting or infantile... :lol: :lol:

:D

<3,
s.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Yeah, that was a little ridiculous.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

BlueChair wrote:Yeah, that was a little ridiculous.
I know. Some people.

<3,
s.
Jackson Doofster

I give up. There have to be better ways to spend my time. :roll:
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Jackson! We were almost to that stage in message board arguments where we bond and become an inseperable internet force.

<3,
s.
Jackson Doofster

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nothing personal my friend. You happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time (you would note doubt disagree :D :lol: 8) )

Being one of the originals of the original board(s) - we've been relocated a few times. Thus, along with a few others, I have seen various trends take seed. We had the nasty snake era, the Vote for your favourite EC couplet era, the Copfan is obsessed with his penis era etc.

However, in recent months it has appeared to me that the conversation has gone stale (although I may be the problem). Perhaps this was inevitable. You can only do so many 'which is the best album' or 'Top ten EC singles' threads can't you?

I, perhaps unfairly, have formed the opinion that all we do these days is bow to the God that is Elvis. I want a little more from my Elvis chat. I liked the fact that you do not like North and JL and I love them. That Spooks and I love KoA and you and many others prefer B&C. Critical debate is what this board should be about IMHO and there is precious little of it about at the moment. In the past few weeks, I have seen people start really interesting threads that have fizzled out into sycophantic teenage fanclub type stuff. :?

Anyway, I love Elvis's music and i love talking about his music. I don't pretend to love the man because I do not and never will know him.

I think that it's time for me to concentrate on my Poker career for a while... :lol: :lol:

night,night and do give TJL a chance...there's some good stuff on there.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Jackson! There is a precedent for this kind of bullshit. I remember it vividly, and I'm sure that you do too.

"It rubs the lotion on the skin..."

It starts as ho-de-ho-ho yuk yuk passivity and becomes a monster. In the last "Episode of Zebra". the insidious, cancerous tidal wave of deceit, gamesmanship, and tom-foolery was destructive to the entire infrastructure of the board and the people who make this board great.

The last episode involved constantly initiating new threads, and opinions about everything, even after the topic was discussed, archived, and put to a gentle rest. There are parallels. At the very least, this is just youthful laziness...it's easier to start a new thread then to invest two minutes to check the always-available archives. At the very worst...

Here is my simple truth. You have been a pillar of thoughtful, insightful, and interesting contribution to every aspect of this forum. I admire you for what you have done to bolster the integrity of the board and the quality of the posts. You have earned a right to your opinion, and quite frankly, you have not earned the derogation and the smarmy comments that have so liberally sprinkled this thread.

Keep Cool. Run the good race and fight the good fight. But don't feed the monster. It craves your angst, and for some of this, it is all too reminiscent of an earlier time, a sad time, and a time that I would like to soon forget. Thus, like the amazingly witty MC of American Idol, let me get off my right leg, stand up, and bid this thread a fond "Mr. Average...OUT!!!"
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I understand what you're saying Doofster, in that there is a need for more entertaining "Elvis Chat"- that is not what I was disagreeing with, and I am glad you are open to the opinions of other people.

What I originally disagreed with, was what looked like you trying too hard to start an argument, just because people stated that Elvis didn't need a quality controller. Nobody boosted him on an untouchable pedestal(or a pedestal he didn't earn), and nobody said anything to insinuate that his shit didn't stink(even though you read it as so).

Mr. Average, I'm not even going to comment on your mindless babble.

Looks like people really crave authority around here.

<3,
s.
Jackson Doofster

Thanks Mr.Average - that was very kind. And thank you to SMM and Spooky for your sweet but unnecessary support...

Let me just be a little reasonable and say this...

wehitandrun is no *whispers* zebrasnake

I think that telling people to go and kill themselves or to 'be sad somewhere else' is just a little unnecessary but i would not do him the injustice of comparing him to that reptile. His comments are borne out of his strong love of the man's music and that is something that could not be said of the scaly one... Reading his posts elsewhere it is clear that he has been a real fan.....just not for as long as me...On my copy of MAIT, Elvis has grey hair :lol: :lol:
Jackson Doofster

f*ck me I'm only 38!