Attention denizens of New York

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
laughingcrow

Attention denizens of New York

Post by laughingcrow »

Seeing as there are quite a number of you lovely people from the great metropolis, and it's surroundings, let me ask you a question.

Have you ever been to Binghamton?
What have you heard about Binghamton?
What's Binghamton like?
Do you know anyone that lives in Binghamton?
(you get the general idea)

Why Binghamton you ask? Well, I might be going there to work next year..it's not definite, but a distinct possibility, so I'd like to check out any informed views.
Don't hold back if you think it's a dump, I had a report from someone that it wasn't that great....any other views? I suppose ultimately I'll go there before I make any decisions, but it'd be nice to hear the opinions of Miss BA/Misha/WSSam/Pip/any other NE dwellers/anyone with info.

Thanks. :D

Lurve Crow
Pov

Post by Pov »

New York is a big state. Binghamton isn't really anywhere near New York City. However, it is home to a huge State university campus (SUNY Binghamton is widely considered to be the best school in the State system) so I'm sure there is plenty of activity there.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

This boy I played doctor with when I was a wee lass went to SUNY Binghamton. That is the sum total of information I have about Binghamton.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

I think Ive heard of Binghamton. Thats all I can add though . . .
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

I don't live there, but I have lots of family nearby,so I've been in the area a million times. It's in a rather depressed part of New York state, the economy isn't so good, and it's a bit on the provincial side. However, what Pov said is true, the school is considered to be excellent.

That said, the country around Binghamton is absolutely gorgeous, very close to the Finger Lakes area, very outdoors-oriented, so there's always lots to do if you are sports-minded. Winters are long and cold, summers are short but beautiful, and autumn is the best anywhere. It's about a 5-hour drive from NYC.

I don't know much about night-life there, as my grandparents wouldn't be likely to be interested in that kind of thing(but they could tell you where every pancake house within 100 miles is), but I did nearly get kicked out of a bar in Binghamton once, but that was my sister's fault....
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Thanks for the info all....

pancakes you say? Mmm pancakes!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Goody2Shoes wrote:
but I did nearly get kicked out of a bar in Binghamton once, but that was my sister's fault....
do tell....
Like me, the "g" is silent.
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

I've never been there, but I know it's a pretty cold area. And it's not that close to any of the major upstate population centers. The SUNY presence probably means some culture though, and decent bars.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I was there for a conference and do not have fond memories. It seemed to be pretty shady.

We thought we heard gunshots while walking down the street. I don't recall any particularly interesting shops, restaurants, or cultural appeal.

Though I've heard good things about the university. I have a few friends who go there. What is it about some good universities that involve it being surrounded by slums? University of Chicago is like that too.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

So is the uni area away from the slum? :D

Hey, I lived in Liverpool for 4 years...can it get any worse! :lol:

Not really (sorry PoP)...but my housemate did see someone get their kneecaps blown off outside a pub in Wavertree! :D
bobster

Post by bobster »

Eek...

Where was I...Binghamto...Oh, yeah. I think Brett Easton Ellis went there -- apparently it was good enough that spent the better part of his career pretentiously slagging his native L.A., so phony by comparison.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
BurnishedGold

Post by BurnishedGold »

Goody2Shoes wrote:I don't live there, but I have lots of family nearby,so I've been in the area a million times. It's in a rather depressed part of New York state, the economy isn't so good, and it's a bit on the provincial side. However, what Pov said is true, the school is considered to be excellent.

That said, the country around Binghamton is absolutely gorgeous, very close to the Finger Lakes area, very outdoors-oriented, so there's always lots to do if you are sports-minded. Winters are long and cold, summers are short but beautiful, and autumn is the best anywhere. It's about a 5-hour drive from NYC.
I would agree with all of the above. I live in Buffalo, but I'm originally from Central NY state. Decent SUNY school, but otherthan that, ghost town.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

It must be close to some kind of wilderness, seeing as that's what my work would be....

I hope B. Easton-Ellis didn't base a certain character around anyone he met in Binghamton! :D
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

I don't recall ever before being called a denizen. In fact, I rather fancy being called a habitué.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"