Anyone like delamitri?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Smallfaces1

Anyone like delamitri?

Post by Smallfaces1 »

just wondered if there was anyone here apart from me that loves delamitri?
"Do you remember rick astley? he had a big fat hit it was ghastly, he said i'm never gonna give you up or let you down, well i'm here to tell you that dick's a clown"
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Everything I've heard by them sounds cool...their "Best of" is on my to-get list.
whtesde

Post by whtesde »

Love Del Amitri. One of those bands that never really got noticed in the States except for the Roll To Me single, which isn't really representative of them. Oh, Del Amitri.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Love 'em. Especially their very first self-titled LP. That's one of my top 20 favorite records. They don't play any of those songs anymore, I was sad to discover. I saw them live a few years back, touring with Change Everything (which I like pretty well). They played tons from their second album (which I love). But not a song from the first record. I realize it's very different from the 2nd album on, and that their sound is totally removed. But those songs are great, especially Hammering Heart and Crows in the Wheatfield.

My favorite songs besides that first album are This Side of the Morning, You're Gone, The Last To Know, Surface of the Moon, and Nothing Ever Happens.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Kiss This Thing Goodbye was pretty big too in the States....
Tim(e)

Re: Anyone like delamitri?

Post by Tim(e) »

Smallfaces1 wrote:just wondered if there was anyone here apart from me that loves delamitri?
I thought he was excellent in "Trading Places".
Smallfaces1

fgh

Post by Smallfaces1 »

didn't get that last joke! sorry. erm. my favs are: Here and now, hammering heart (i read a review somewhere that this is in the style of EC! well i dunno about that but the song does rock!),long way down, before the evening steals the afternoon,spare pair of laces,grimace not a smile,queen of false alarms.
"Do you remember rick astley? he had a big fat hit it was ghastly, he said i'm never gonna give you up or let you down, well i'm here to tell you that dick's a clown"
Smallfaces1

fgh

Post by Smallfaces1 »

didn't get that last joke! sorry. erm. my favs are: Here and now, hammering heart (i read a review somewhere that this is in the style of EC! well i dunno about that but the song does rock!),long way down, before the evening steals the afternoon,spare pair of laces,grimace not a smile,queen of false alarms.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Yeah, :D great Scots band...Cry to be found, Spit in the rain, Move away Jimmy Blue and Be my downfall are brilliant songs!

'Hatful of rain' would be a perfect introduction to anyone who's not head them, they're quite similar to Crowded House in their songs I'd say, with a bit of country thrown in.

Haven't got the last album they did though.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Hatful of Rain is another great one. Be My Downfall is great. I still find that the first album is my perpetual favorite. Keepers, Sticks and Stones Girl, Heard Through a Wall, and Breaking Bread are all classics.

There was a period of time when every band I heard from that was a Scots band became my new favorite band. It went something like:

Big Country
The Proclaimers
Del Amitri
Gun (short-lived, but I liked 'em)
Teenage Fanclub
Soup Dragons (see above, under 'Gun')

and I don't know who else right off the top of my head. You must have something in the water in Scotland that makes for better songwriting.

Smallfaces,

the Trading Places joke was a reference to American actor Don Amece. It was a pun.

Anyone know the significance of del Amitri's name?
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
girl out of time

Post by girl out of time »

i used to have 2 of their records, but then i got tired of their music and traded them....the reason why i first got into their music was beacuase of that song "the last to know".....
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
Uncomplicated

Post by Uncomplicated »

I don't own any of their cd's but I did see them a few years ago at an outdoor gig. They were great!
It's in your eyes..... It's in your eyes.....