Rome

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
noiseradio

Rome

Post by noiseradio »

Mr. and Mrs. Noiseradio will be in Rome from Nov. 6-Nov. 10. Any board members out there in Rome?
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I've been to Rome if that counts. What a wonderful city... have a great time, noise!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I've always wanted to go to Rome, does that count?

Hopefully one day the Dr & I will make that trip. :)

Noise, you dog, enjoy your wife and that wonderful city. :wink:
bobster

Post by bobster »

Just make sure you do as the Roman's do. (So, if they all jump off the leaning tower of Pisa, you too must jump off the tower.) :shock:
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
idle hands

Post by idle hands »

I was in Rome a couple of weeks ago.
Wonderful place, full of tourists though, but that can't be a problem when you're one of them.
My italian sucks, but they seem to understand spanish pretty well. All I needed to learn was "Biglietto integrato giornalero", which for 3.10 Euro gives you access to all transportation for the day (Metro, Bus, Tran).
Some useful tips,
You dont need to take a taxi from the airport, which can be really expensive. I took the train to Termini, then a taxi, which was rather reasonable.
Dont be ashamed to take out your map, everyone does. Anyway, you'll probably get lost at some point, specially in downtown Rome... well, at least I did, but it was really fun, even when I noticed I was walking in circles.
Having dinner at sunset can be quite nice, Piazza Navona or the Piazza della Rotonda (Pantheon) have lots of places around, affordable places I mean.
Oh, carry an umbrella. I had two or three days of light rain.

It's really a nice place, I was there for only four days, hope you can stay longer, it's really worth it.
que no panda el cunico
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

That's all really helpful. Thanks! We'll be there about the same amount of time. In the summer, we're doing a tour of Italy, so we'll be back in Rome for a few more days. Between the two trips, I think we'll be able to see a lot.

Any great record stores you saw while you were there?
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

Rome is an amazing place, as I'm sure you'll see. Idle's tips were great. But something very important was forgotten: Make sure you eat lots of gelato (Italian Ice Cream)!!! Mmmmmmmmmm so good. :D
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Yes, ma'am.
--William Shakespeare
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Are you and the missus chaperoning a gaggle of high-schoolers? Will you have a bald, flirtatious tour guide?
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

No kids on this trip. And no bald, flirtatious tour guide. Or, if there is one, it will be one we haven't met. This is just for the two of us. A 10th anniversary present to ourselves (a little late, since that was in August, but this is when the trip was being offered).

We will be chaperoning a gaggle of high-schoolers all through Italy this summer. We hope to have the same bald, flirtatious tour guide at the helm of that trip.
--William Shakespeare
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

It's good you are going in Nov, Noise. Rome in the summer is unbearable. Here's two tips I found useful when I visited a friend a couple of years ago: 1 - Whatever you do don't sit down when/if you're having a drink in a bar. They will double your bill. 2 - If you want to cross a road in Rome be prepared to be knocked over by a crazy Cinquecento whizzing by. Gather your nerves of steel and step into the road like you own it.

Tom, my Roman friend, has a favourite music store called Disfunzioni Musicali, and it's pretty cheap to boot. Address: Via of Etruschi 4, 00185 Rome.
mood swung

it's obvious as hell, but still I am driven to it...

Post by mood swung »

are you that big an REM fan?

oh wait, they're from Athens, not Rome. My mistake.

Have a great trip!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

How I envy you - we didn't get a holiday at all this year through a combination of no time and no money!!. We spent all our spare cash on stuff for the house including a very nice but expensive marble fireplace and wooden flooring :?

Have a wonderful trip noise and spoil your wife rotton!!
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

haha.. good one.

Actually, I didn't find nearly as many tourists in Rome as I did in Venice. Venice was literally oversatured with them, while most of the people I came across in Rome did seem to be actually from Rome. Maybe it was cause I was there in April, I dunno.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

PlaythingOrPet wrote:If you want to cross a road in Rome be prepared to be knocked over by a crazy Cinquecento whizzing by. Gather your nerves of steel and step into the road like you own it.
I haven't been for 11 years, though I am a fairly regular visitor to other parts of the country. The above brings back memories, especially of the taxis. Supposedly the only way not to get killed by an oncoming taxi is to have a nun with you, so see if you can find one as a tour guide. They genuinely don't give a toss about stopping otherwise. I saw the Pope on his balcony, to the amazement of my Catholic in-laws (I am of the other persuasion). It's a stunning place, endless amounts of things to do and see. I'd say it's worth having a good guide to restaurants, because a lot of the central ones seem to be a bit of a rip-off.

Shame about the timing, you just missed Elvis, and you will even more narrowly miss Chelsea vs Lazio this Wednesday, which should be a corker. And Bowie has played Milan recently, but no Rome dates on this tour (and no Texas either, it appears!). He's in France whilst you're there. And he's in Berlin tonight - how cool would that be?

Have a great time.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Bowie in Berlin would be heaven.
--William Shakespeare
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

I agree that Rome isn't entirely touristy...it's more of a real city. Similar in tourists as NYC - you see a lot of them, but it's also a real city with lots of locals. It is touristy enough that most people speak English (which is true throughout a good part of Italy I've found).

I definitely agree with the idea of getting a guide book for restaurants, as the best places to eat are usually going to be where the locals go. BlueChair and I found that a really good way to find good places to eat is to ask the front desk person where you're staying. They usually seemed very pleased to be asked for advice, and were a plethora of good information. Tourist offices can be good too, but the workers tended to be less reluctant to give personal favorites.

Whatever you do, be careful about planning too much. Rome is a huge city with oodles of history and tourist attractions, so don't try to pack too much into one trip. It will just leave you exhausted. Enjoy your time there, and take time for a Cappuccino in the middle of the afternoon. Soaking in the culture is a great way to enjoy your visit.

Sorry if I've rambled on too long, working in a travel agency has rubbed off on me :P

Have a great time and tell us about it when you get back. I'm jealous! :D
bobster

Post by bobster »

I forgot to say "have a good time"!

So, have a good time! It sounds way cool.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Lipstick

Post by Lipstick »

I think you should come away with me to Roma.

Walk with me down ancient streets
while the dust of 3000 years collects on our shoes.

Share a luscious meal with me
that melts in your mouth
Let's drink too much sweet Italian wine
while we drink in the ancient relics

Splash your feet with me in a fountain
graced by statues of breathtaking beauty

You can chase me up the Spanish Steps...
okay partway up the Spanish Steps

Then I'll seduce you in the gardens
of the Villa Borghese
while Michelangelo's Muses stand guard.

Come away with me, Noiseradio.

I've got a ticket with your real name on it,
leaving at 2 something tomorrow from DFW.
I'll buy the champagne...
Don't bury me 'cause I'm not dead yet.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Well, if I must, I must. How could anyone turn down such an offer? Don't tell my wife. :wink:
--William Shakespeare
Lipstick

Post by Lipstick »

What wife?
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Didn't you know? I'm married. Have been for 10 years. To an amazing woman. But she won't mind if you and I go to Rome together. I have a feeling she'd insist.
--William Shakespeare
Lipstick

Post by Lipstick »

She must be truly wonderful. And wise as well.

But you'll forget all about her if you're with me....
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

This is almost certainly painfully obvious, but I don't want anyone to misunderstand. Lipstick is my wife. And the chili recipe on the recipe thread, as my belly will attest, is great.
--William Shakespeare
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Aha!! I have suspected as much for weeks! Thanks for confirming and have a great trip!
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on