Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis & The Imposters play Camden, NJ, August 3 2015

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?
MOJO

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play Camden, NJ, August 3 2015

Post by MOJO »

I am in town but won't be able to make it due to family obligations. I did manage to squeeze in a live show though - Jason Isbell at the Electric Factory. Go see him if he is pulling through your town. Great show and only $30 a ticket!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

MOJO wrote:I am in town but won't be able to make it due to family obligations. I did manage to squeeze in a live show though - Jason Isbell at the Electric Factory. Go see him if he is pulling through your town. Great show and only $30 a ticket!
Jason Isbell is one of the better performers and writers out there these days- I second that notion of catching him live if he should play near your town. At that price he is well worth it-hell, he is worth it at twice that price. His new record is my favorite one of the year so far just as "Southeastern" was my favorite two years ago. There are few writing more intelligent, cogent, literate and adventurous songs like he is producing. And a 'honey' tenor of a voice to boot....
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Video:
Watching The Detectives / Accidents Will Happen - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy7fgpl5Ru0
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Thanks to Cheryl Bellaire -

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainm ... _Susq.html

Elvis Costello and Steely Dan make great sense together at the Susq

DAVID R. STAMPONE,

FOR THE INQUIRER
Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Should it surprise anybody that Elvis Costello and his rugged yet nuanced backing trio the Imposters worked so well on a bill with the urbane, sophisticated Steely Dan on Monday at Camden's Susquehanna Bank Center? Hardly. There are degrees of undeniable jazz-tinged commonality between the two veteran rock-rooted acts, more apparent through the years. Even a taut Costello track like 1981's "Clubland" was well-nigh Dan-ish at times on Monday, with longtime keyboard accompanist Steve Nieve's expansive Latinesque piano swells and Costello's spicy guitar work on the now more open-spaced live tune.

The fact is, going back to when he was pegged as an "angry young man" of British New Wave in the late '70s, Costello and company have negotiated all manner of ostensibly odd billings. (A local standout: opening for prog-gone-pop behemoths Genesis in August '82, at South Philly's long-gone JFK Stadium.)

At the Susq, Costello noted how happy he was to be a special guest of "The Dan of Steel" (as he termed them), barreling through more than a dozen diverse, career-spanning songs in an hour. Treats included recent deep cuts like "Flutter and Wow" and "Condemned Man," while a funked-up "Everyday I Write the Book" brought most to their feet. The '78 vintage "(I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea" was extended by many a shout-out to Philly musicians past and present, concluding with Questlove and the Roots, Costello's collaborators on their 2013 Wise Up Ghost album.

Steely Dan's two-hour headlining retrospective set ensued, a more leisurely affair with idiosyncratic peaks and valleys. Early on, Queens-born guitarist-singer Walter Becker went on a five-minute spoken semi-rant in the middle of "Hey Nineteen," effectively greeting the crowd, predicting a possible post-concert scenario, and trying to recall the tequila product named in the lyric. The three "Danettes" backup singers chimed in on cue: "The Cuervo Gold . . . "

Donald Fagen, the sardonic singer-keyboardist in shades from North Jersey with whom Becker has been making music for almost 50 years, sat behind his keys through gems like "Black Friday," "Bodhisattva," and show-closer "Kid Charlemagne," strolling about while playing a fine melodica on a memorable "Time Out of Mind."

The 13-piece band, replete with four horns, gave everything a consummate take. Before Becker and Fagen emerged, the ensemble opened with an especially spry reading of Oliver Nelson's 1961 goldie "Teenie's Blues." While, say, the biting, acidic guitar-fill sizzle of the studio version of "My Old School" was missed in the live setting, extensively talented lead guitarist John Herington brought refreshing chops to many a Steely song. Who knows? One of these years, maybe an ever-game and capable singing guitar-stylist (and Steely Dan fan) like Costello himself might creatively mingle with fellow sixtysomethings Becker and Fagen - a good idea.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
blureu

Post by blureu »

The shout-out for Philly artists/bands in Chelsea was great.

MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Philly artists shout out was cool. Who has the list he rattled off? I couldn't hear half of it. Did he mention Schooly D and/or Sister Sledge?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

That was a fantastic list. I'll leave the experts to list them all. :wink:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

FANTASTIC listing indeed VG. I'd say I only caught about 60 per cent on first listen. I'll try to list when I can listen better tomorrow.. didn't catch the two you mention...hope he didn't forget Todd Rundgren
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

MOJO wrote:Philly artists shout out was cool. Who has the list he rattled off? I couldn't hear half of it. Did he mention Schooly D and/or Sister Sledge?
I think I got them all, but you can correct me if I got any wrong. Starting at 3:30:

Willie Alexander and the Boom Boom Band
Frankie Avalon
Thom Bell
The O'Jays
The Intrigues
The Intruders
Archie Bell and the Drells
Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes
John Coltrane
Chubby Checker
Cindy Birdsong
Lou Rawls